HBA1C

joanne75

Hi

I’m currently 31wks pregnant and baby is still measuring big my hba1c is currently 49.

Would people mind sharing what their HBA1C was during pregnancy and whether they had big babies?? I need some advice I’m really scared and my Ob just keeps telling me it’s not good enough but without being constantly hypo I can’t do anymore please help!!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

I’m currently 31wks pregnant and baby is still measuring big my hba1c is currently 49.

Would people mind sharing what their HBA1C was during pregnancy and whether they had big babies?? I need some advice I’m really scared and my Ob just keeps telling me it’s not good enough but without being constantly hypo I can’t do anymore please help!!

Joanne I'm sure folks will be along to talk to you shortly, but could you please let us know your diabetes type and any treatment you are using to manage your diabetes?

mf

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi in my first pregnancy my hba1c was low 40's. Had baby at 36+6 8lbs half ounce. Was on pump but had spikes every day. I think hba1c readings aren't true in pregnancy after 3rd month. This pregnancy I'm 17 weeks hba1c 41 but again having spike after lows etc. It's very hard to get a balance and keeping bloods under 7.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi type 1 for 30yrs am on a pump and self fund Dexcom

Thanks Joanne. If you have a moment, it could be helpful if you added that info to your profile, and/or signature, so that's folks could see it all the time? It can make such a difference to the responses people make.

You can make those alterations, in your account settings, in your browser. Let me, or any of the Mods know if you need help with that.

joanne75

Thanks Joanne. If you have a moment, it could be helpful if you added that info to your profile, and/or signature, so that's folks could see it all the time? It can make such a difference to the responses people make.

You can make those alterations, in your account settings, in your browser. Let me, or any of the Mods know if you need help with that
Hi in my first pregnancy my hba1c was low 40's. Had baby at 36+6 8lbs half ounce. Was on pump but had spikes every day. I think hba1c readings aren't true in pregnancy after 3rd month. This pregnancy I'm 17 weeks hba1c 41 but again having spike after lows etc. It's very hard to get a balance and keeping bloods under 7.

Thank you for your reply I know it’s just hard to comprehend when you have the obstetrics team shouting in your ear making you feel useless and that it’s all your fault

joanne75

You can make those alterations, in your account settings, in your browser. Let me, or any of the Mods know if you need help with that.

Sorry don’t know how you do that?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry don’t know how you do that?

In your browser window, click on your user name at the top right hand side of the screen and utilise the menu on the left hand side of the screen.

This must be done from your browser. If you usually use the App, then open your device browser and log in to https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/ , using your user name and password, then go to your account.

If you do this from your phone or tablet, it is possible, although the screen will be smaller!

Ellie_Wilko

Type of diabetes
Type 1
With my 1st hba1c was around 35-40 and he was born at 37+4 at 6lb 6oz and with my second hba1c was around 45 and she was born at 37+2 weighing 7lb 3oz!

I'm sure if there's any concerns they'll do extra growth scans and intervene if necessary x

ArtemisBow

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
During first pregnancy my hba1c was around 37. Baby born 38 weeks 7lb 8oz. She measured big all the way through - but on everything. Big head, long legs etc. So all in proportion, but I was still given a hard time. Myself and husband are both tall people, we were both big babies ourselves, but it’s as if that’s ignored if you are diabetic because “it must be because your bg is too high!” I think if we’d gone to 40 weeks she would have been around 9lb, but plenty of other babies are born at that weight to non diabetics and no one bats an eyelid.

Our daughter is still one of the biggest in her peer group now, and I expect always will be!

Moosh97

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm 34 weeks pregnant and when I last spoke to my midwife my hba1c was 50, last month when I went to my growth scan baby was weighing 4lb 12oz. I have another scan in 2 weeks time to see how big baby is!
The consultant informed me that baby is a little big but I'm also a 5ft 1 lady so they wasnt very concerned. I was told yesterday though that I'd be having baby at 37 weeks due to my blood sugar levels being all over the place.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
My babies were born long ago now, 1982 and 85 - both over 9 lb when born, very vigorous and strong babies and toddlers both tall adults - my son, who was 9lb 3 oz is well over 6ft tall - I can walk under his outstretched arm.
I do think that some HCPs don't feel their consultation has been worthwhile unless they can find something negative to cause worry and concern.

Eveytoz

Just had my second child, hba1c was 6.8 they were really pleased with me at hosp I’m type 1 on insulin it’s only now I have had baby that I’m struggling

mytype1.life

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi

I’ve seen so many examples of non type 1s having large babies, type 1s with great control having large babies and type 1s with poor control having average size babies and everything else in between! I’m no doctor but I’m starting to think there isn’t a huge correlation, more of a stereotype, some ppl just have big babies! Everyone is different and stressing about it isn’t going to change anything.

mytype1.life

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi

I’ve seen so many examples of non type 1s having large babies, type 1s with great control having large babies and type 1s with poor control having average size babies and everything else in between! I’m no doctor but I’m starting to think there isn’t a huge correlation, more of a stereotype, some ppl just have big babies! Everyone is different and stressing about it isn’t going to change anything.

Reactions: deborabaratto