Dawn rise phenomenon

Eveytoz

Hi I have recently had my second child, being a type one diabetic had very tight control during pregnancy but since have struggled to get under control and suffering now from dawn rise phenomenon so I can go to bed on 8/9 and wake up 20+ anyone have any advice?

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
HI @Eveytoz, Have you discussed things with your DSN and/or doctor re diet, insulin doses etc??
And could stress be playing a part?
And have you looked up DP on Home page , typing Dawn Phenomenon in the question box, right upper screen ?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Eveytoz

How are you monitoring your BG levels ? So do you have a Libre and can see what time your levels start to rise ?

The reason I ask is that there are a few other things that would affect our waking bg level other than the DP.

Eveytoz

Yes have spoken to my doctor have an app in couple of weeks but I’m mean time I have lots of highs which I have never ever had in 25 years!
I use the libre so yes I can see when it starts to rise, nurse has suggested an insulin pump which I wasn’t keen in wondered if anyone had had any experience with it or whether it would change I had baby four weeks ago now.

mytype1.life

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes have spoken to my doctor have an app in couple of weeks but I’m mean time I have lots of highs which I have never ever had in 25 years!
I use the libre so yes I can see when it starts to rise, nurse has suggested an insulin pump which I wasn’t keen in wondered if anyone had had any experience with it or whether it would change I had baby four weeks ago now.

I’ve found my insulin pump really helpful in responding to those patterns, i.e if I’m climbing at 3am I can increase my basal rate 1-2 hours before the climb starts to help combat it.

Eveytoz

Really? I know it might be the best solution does it interfere with clothing/sports activities?
Is dawn rise a permanent thing or
Can it go?

mytype1.life

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Really? I know it might be the best solution does it interfere with clothing/sports activities?
Is dawn rise a permanent thing or
Can it go?

I think it comes and goes based on hormones. The pump I use, Omnipod, is really discreet. I always used to wear it on my stomach and nobody has ever noticed it. I was able to carry on with all sports/exercise as normal. Mine is now on my arm due to my bump being in the way! Omnipod is one the right below, Libre sensor and Miao Miao transmitter on the left.
4DFA01EC-C36B-4854-B33F-72BD78A365A7.jpg

Reactions: CranberryIce