Metformin ER and early side symptoms of T2 help please

Devonmade

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
meat
Hi, I am on Metformin ER 1 x twice daily. I take one in the morning and 1 with evening meal. Now, as I found out only by fluke that I should be on 2 a day (long story) do I have to take them spaced out or can I take them both together once a day? GP not particularly interested and my actual GP has been off long term sick. also, I am still find most of the diet advice confusing. One will suggest weetabix (for example) is ok for breakfast others say No (keto). As I am finding I am hungry mid morning in work, could this mean I am not doing well with the cereal as I should be full up till lunchtime I would have thought. Would a monitor help me work this out or I suppose I could just try a boiled egg and see if that helps? I still suffer with a dry mouth and I am also getting up during the night for the loo, which isn't great. Once I can cope with but 3 or 4 times is a pain. I feel like I am in a fog trying to work out what to do tbh. Next HBA1c is June and I cant wait to see what it says, which is sad! Meanwhile treading water it seems. I did look at Diet Doctor and learnt a lot but cant see it would work for me, it definately seems better if you are a meat eater overall. I am vegetarian but also avoid dairy as I am intolerant. Can do some dairy but not regularly so miserable diet. any thoughts or help please? many thanks ps sorry alot of Qs but I must be one of many who are in a muddle

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People. Noise. Swearing. Many foods.
I am on 4 Metformin a day and take two in the morning and two in the evening. If you are only on two then take them separately from each other.

Yes a monitor would help.

Breakfast ?. No cereal but try a couple of boiled eggs, eggs and bacon etc. Make yourself a snack box for work eg more boiled eggs, Pork scratchings, cheese, cold cuts- something to nibble on if the going gets tough. Don’t forget to keep yourself well hydrated as well and remember that water will keep you from feeling so hungry.

Good luck.

Devonmade

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
meat
I am on 4 Metformin a day and take two in the morning and two in the evening. If you are only on two then take them separately from each other.

Yes a monitor would help.

Breakfast ?. No cereal but try a couple of boiled eggs, eggs and bacon etc. Make yourself a snack box for work eg more boiled eggs, Pork scratchings, cheese, cold cuts- something to nibble on if the going gets tough. Don’t forget to keep yourself well hydrated as well and remember that water will keep you from feeling so hungry.

Good luck.
thank you. eggs and eggs then. vegetarian so no bacon and cant tolerate dairy v well

Reactions: Patrick66

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I think you will find that with Metformin Extended Release you can take two together. Read the leaflet. I think my Glucophage SR says you can.

Traceymac23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Moaner
The main side effects of metformin(other than those metabolic ones such as B12 deficiency)I've heard of are stomach upsets/diarrhoea//metallic taste in mouth..........I haven't had any of these.

Reactions: Devonmade

airsair

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was told to take 1000 slow release metformin with my breakfast . Have been doing so for 5 years now.

Reactions: Devonmade