HBA1C

7-3-19wilson1

Recently had a meeting with the consultant about a month after I was first diagnosed with T1. I was told that I was ‘164’ at this was quite high, just wondering what this means and what my number is in comparison to others?
Thanks

Reactions: Knikki
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Before all the people who know what they are talking about arrive with their good advice can I ask you a couple of questions. The answers will be helpful.

Can you confirm the 164 is in mg/dl.

Was this a fasting test or had you eaten anything before. If you had eaten, what did you eat.

Dark Horse

There are guidelines for the diagnosis and management of diabetes in children and young people which are produced by NICE (National Institute for Care and Health Excellence). Regarding HbA1c, they say:-

• Explain to children and young people with type 1 diabetes and their family members or carers (as appropriate) that an HbA1c target level of 48 mmol/mol (6.5%) or lower is ideal to minimise the risk of long‑term complications. [new 2015]
Where possible, it's a good idea to include units with any figures you quote - blood glucose and HbA1c have different units and different target ranges. Also, the units for both can differ outside outside the UK. By quoting the units we can understand exactly which measurement you are talking about.