What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@dunelm yep tripadvisor is the way to go and @DCUKMod I get these Starbux ones from time to time in an airport, and can almost guarantee you that the recipe includes no techniques I don't know what they are (sous vide for example, and yes I looked it up with IP and it seemed to involve plastic bags?).
@Chook er... my cremated father lies in a grave, as do my parents in law. But I knew what you meant. Sometimes people buy huge fancy caskets for open casket funeral, and then cremate the whole shebang afterwards. So there would be a funeral with flowers. In some US and Americas cultures, the funeral is extremely integral to life, and the best you can afford is a sign of respect towards the deceased and their community.
@maglil55 glad you had a short respite on the legs anyway, and that your numbers are trending better. Sounds like your pastry will be a triumph sooner or later. I think that a specialty pop-up restaurant would be well liked! I'd go for sure.
Since I had a snack of many doll-house ladles of skyr and almond butter last night, I figured today I'd try ? @Listlad 's ? @dunelm 's ? chocolate gelato. And while I'm at it eat lunch too.
Bfast caution to the winds two eggs, (too filling), 1/2 avocado, DWSAC.
Lunch son made pulled chix barbecue with a mustard sauce. Very good. Sauce 9 carbs/2 tbsp serving, so that might have been a 5 carb hit. Cucumbers/onions in vinegar no sugar, and our family standby Vermont Cabot super aged cheese. They seem to be sliding into LC but I'm not mentioning that! DIL made, to compensate, chocolate peanut butter cookies. (You do know that if you have a diet Pepsi with your Snickers bar, they cancel each other out!). I had another slice of cheese. Celery.
Came home and made the gelato. Can already tell it will be so much too good that I can't make more. Licking the spoon was an adventure in dangerous living.
Supper should be small, yes? We'll see.
Off to stir the gelato. My freezer is very cold it seems. I like the flavor of erythritol-- to me, the menthol-like chill is a good thing. Confectioners' sugar does the same thing to my tongue.
Busy week coming up of Mom, music, church, church music, Mom church, church music with Mom, normal Holy Week mayhem.
Don't panic, and always carry a towel!

In the IP, I wouldn't do plastic bags, and only do proper sous vide, sealed bags when I sous vide. I'd use something like any of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/slp/silicone-egg-poacher/937q5nb2ndrc8jo , or more likely, these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Alftek-Sil...eway&sprefix=instant+post+acc,aps,143&sr=8-22

I have a set of the former already, but were egg bites going to feature regularly, I think the latter would be more stable on the trivet, and easier to get in and out of the pot - especially when hot at the end.

Reactions: zauberflote

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@dunelm yep tripadvisor is the way to go and @DCUKMod I get these Starbux ones from time to time in an airport, and can almost guarantee you that the recipe includes no techniques I don't know what they are (sous vide for example, and yes I looked it up with IP and it seemed to involve plastic bags?).
@Chook er... my cremated father lies in a grave, as do my parents in law. But I knew what you meant. Sometimes people buy huge fancy caskets for open casket funeral, and then cremate the whole shebang afterwards. So there would be a funeral with flowers. In some US and Americas cultures, the funeral is extremely integral to life, and the best you can afford is a sign of respect towards the deceased and their community.
@maglil55 glad you had a short respite on the legs anyway, and that your numbers are trending better. Sounds like your pastry will be a triumph sooner or later. I think that a specialty pop-up restaurant would be well liked! I'd go for sure.
Since I had a snack of many doll-house ladles of skyr and almond butter last night, I figured today I'd try ? @Listlad 's ? @dunelm 's ? chocolate gelato. And while I'm at it eat lunch too.
Bfast caution to the winds two eggs, (too filling), 1/2 avocado, DWSAC.
Lunch son made pulled chix barbecue with a mustard sauce. Very good. Sauce 9 carbs/2 tbsp serving, so that might have been a 5 carb hit. Cucumbers/onions in vinegar no sugar, and our family standby Vermont Cabot super aged cheese. They seem to be sliding into LC but I'm not mentioning that! DIL made, to compensate, chocolate peanut butter cookies. (You do know that if you have a diet Pepsi with your Snickers bar, they cancel each other out!). I had another slice of cheese. Celery.
Came home and made the gelato. Can already tell it will be so much too good that I can't make more. Licking the spoon was an adventure in dangerous living.
Supper should be small, yes? We'll see.
Off to stir the gelato. My freezer is very cold it seems. I like the flavor of erythritol-- to me, the menthol-like chill is a good thing. Confectioners' sugar does the same thing to my tongue.
Busy week coming up of Mom, music, church, church music, Mom church, church music with Mom, normal Holy Week mayhem.
Don't panic, and always carry a towel!
Winner for the focus of the week's activities. I even forgive you for for liking the flavour of erythritol - just how does a body do that though?:(

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
“Losing weight and exercising properly seems to give better bg management for T2”.

I believe you. Or should I say I believe it helps enormously.
It is highly individual obviously. Pretty sure that for me the WOE "gets in the way" big time. Anything I have ever been successful at and enjoyed has been instinctive. This WOE is 180 degrees the opposite of my instincts.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
It is highly individual obviously. Pretty sure that for me the WOE "gets in the way" big time. Anything I have ever been successful at and enjoyed has been instinctive. This WOE is 180 degrees the opposite of my instincts.

It's definitely not been instinctive for me to eat this way but, over time, it is becoming my new normal. I much prefer this WOE to the alternative of taking increasing amounts of meds and injecting insulin. Before finding low carb I used to take another couple of types of diabetes meds as well as double my current dose of Metformin and I injected a lot of insulin due to my insulin resistance. That definitely wasn't instinctive and I constantly felt a bit 'off' - but that was me and not you.

If low carb is making your life a misery then no one will think badly of you if you prefer to go down the meds route - we are all different.

Reactions: maglil55

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
So, today's menu will be...

Breakfast: 100g Brie (again - getting bored with it)
Lunch: Cold roast ham and boiled egg
Dinner: Romaine leaves wraps filled with houmous, cold chicken and a little finely chopped red onion
Drinks: decaffeinated black coffee, still spring water

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It's definitely not been instinctive for me to eat this way but, over time, it is becoming my new normal. I much prefer this WOE to the alternative of taking increasing amounts of meds and injecting insulin. Before finding low carb I used to take another couple of types of diabetes meds as well as double my current dose of Metformin and I injected a lot of insulin due to my insulin resistance. That definitely wasn't instinctive and I constantly felt a bit 'off' - but that was me and not you.

If low carb is making your life a misery then no one will think badly of you if you prefer to go down the meds route - we are all different.
Thanks @Chook Please don't think LC is making my life a misery or that I want to follow a route like that colleague of your husband - I ain't miserable or clamouring for high carb food. I am just a very long way from the trend on this thread of seeing LC as completely satisfying, offering enough variety of flavours or allowing me to thrive. My HbA1c, weight etc are OK - but something is definitely missing. Done right good nutrition is instinctive and makes people glow IMHO. Pretty sure some well known members on here have that sorted so I reckon there must be a route there for me.

Hungry19

Yawn!!! My dogs haven't settled properly all night (again) so I've spent most of it on the sofa (again). I don't know which is worse, being in bed but being kept awake by three big dogs whining loudly at the bottom of the stairs and/or barking at non existent noises from outside - or trying to sleep on the sofa with three big dogs showing their appreciation of me being with them by frequent slurpy face kicks (which I hate cos I know what bits of them they clean with those tongues). They are becoming more and more unsettled while Mr C is away and are really only happy now when they can actually see me. (I think they think that I'll do a runner if I'm out of sight). I'm normally a nine hours solid sleep a night kinda girl so, as a consequence, my BG is really high at the moment. I'm so looking forward to Mr C coming home this afternoon - mainly so I can get some sleep.

The temptation to shovel down a big bowl of soothing porridge is very strong this morning...

Breakfast: 100g Brie
Lunch: probably 30g mixed nuts - almonds walnuts brazils
Dinner: Baked pomegranate glazed ham (to be eaten warm) with salad (and possibly a couple of new potatoes with butter depending what my BG is like at the time)
Drinks: black coffee with caffeine at the moment (but will switch to decaff soon as the caffeine affects my BGs), still spring water and red wine with dinner (if I'm still awake)

I can feel your sleep pain
Think it’s best to have sacrificed your body to keep the whining down (friend’s neighbors complained so much about her whining dogs - her landlord stepped in and she decided to regime dog to appease all)
Was gunna say - on the plus side animals keep blood pressure down with there soft fur n affection - but just like the “how many carbs in asparagus” comment - one never knows ..

Hungry19

It's amazing that you aren't random and sketchy all day with only 15 minutes of deep sleep each night. You REALLY, REALLY need to speak to your doctor about that.

Well, as I have bloods this week for my oncologist - I will mention to nurse.

Been on a massive internet search for natural sleep aids - seen a few I like like Kava - roman chamomile and green teas.
Will try getting up 6.30am (cud be defeated by needing s nap by 1pm)
Then take a bath at 7ish. (Plus side red wine may help me sleep if I drink it early enough)

Nothing doctor can do - until I try everything.

jwd1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So, today's menu will be...

Breakfast: 100g Brie (again - getting bored with it)
Lunch: Cold roast ham and boiled egg
Dinner: Romaine leaves wraps filled with houmous, cold chicken and a little finely chopped red onion
Drinks: decaffeinated black coffee, still spring water
Add a stick of celery to brie, it might be a bit less boring

charlie000

4 small salmon fillets in lemon and herb marinade, fried in in a pan using Ghee
https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/east-end-pure-butter-ghee/558936-79106-79107

Fresh cut red peppers
Greens (leaves and lettuce)
Fresh squeezed lemon drizzled over the lot
A piece of Lindt 90% dark chocolate (one square). It's 14g carbs in the whole block! So not too bad...
Water to drink

Now having a cup of tea made with cream to relax

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, as I have bloods this week for my oncologist - I will mention to nurse.

Been on a massive internet search for natural sleep aids - seen a few I like like Kava - roman chamomile and green teas.
Will try getting up 6.30am (cud be defeated by needing s nap by 1pm)
Then take a bath at 7ish. (Plus side red wine may help me sleep if I drink it early enough)

Nothing doctor can do - until I try everything.

Hungry19, a number of people speak well of using magnesium oil, transdermally, for sleep. I sleep well, but tried it anyway, and slept even better.

If I use it every day, I get a burning sensation on my skin, so I just use it ad hoc, and diluted these days.

Would you be able to give that a go, if it appealled? (By that, I mean, in relation to your comment on oncology.)

Reactions: Hungry19 and Chook

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Keto Raspberry Ripple Ice Cream Gone Wrong.

I forgot to add the sweetner to the cream and egg mix before drizzling in the raspberry purée. So it all ended up the same colour. Soft scoop it was not but very tasty with the ice cream and raspberry combination.

000A1A1B-C6DA-4591-B349-BA54B6585430.jpeg

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What is WOE?

My weight loss has levelled out now. So am going to have to change something.

Reactions: Freema

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @Chook Please don't think LC is making my life a misery or that I want to follow a route like that colleague of your husband - I ain't miserable or clamouring for high carb food. I am just a very long way from the trend on this thread of seeing LC as completely satisfying, offering enough variety of flavours or allowing me to thrive. My HbA1c, weight etc are OK - but something is definitely missing. Done right good nutrition is instinctive and makes people glow IMHO. Pretty sure some well known members on here have that sorted so I reckon there must be a route there for me.
That’s part of the reason why I don’t ultra low carb.

Reactions: Freema

Hungry19

Hungry19, a number of people speak well of using magnesium oil, transdermally, for sleep. I sleep well, but tried it anyway, and slept even better.

If I use it every day, I get a burning sensation on my skin, so I just use it ad hoc, and diluted these days.

Would you be able to give that a go, if it appealled? (By that, I mean, in relation to your comment on oncology.)

Thank you have been considering the magnesium oil - it’s been in my eBay watching - I thought I’d opt for magnesium chloride (less work on kidneys than the sulphur)
You are correct - it is magnesium that I’m deficient in. Thank you

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you have been considering the magnesium oil - it’s been in my eBay watching - I thought I’d opt for magnesium chloride (less work on kidneys than the sulphur)
You are correct - it is magnesium that I’m deficient in. Thank you

Are you going to swallow it, or rub it on? Allegedly, magnesium is best taken up via the skin. My colleague, @Brunneria explained it to me, and as she's incredibly thorough in her reseaching, I followed her lead.

Just a few sprays on my legs or tummy as I get ready for bed, and I'm off.

As I say, I have never had trouble sleeping. I'm just trying to be transparent.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can feel your sleep pain
Think it’s best to have sacrificed your body to keep the whining down (friend’s neighbors complained so much about her whining dogs - her landlord stepped in and she decided to regime dog to appease all)
Was gunna say - on the plus side animals keep blood pressure down with there soft fur n affection - but just like the “how many carbs in asparagus” comment - one never knows ..

That would be awful. Luckily my dogs aren't particularly noisy normally.

Reactions: Hungry19

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you going to swallow it, or rub it on? Allegedly, magnesium is best taken up via the skin. My colleague, @Brunneria explained it to me, and as she's incredibly thorough in her reseaching, I followed her lead.

Just a few sprays on my legs or tummy as I get ready for bed, and I'm off.

As I say, I have never had trouble sleeping. I'm just trying to be transparent.

There are several (9?) different forms of Mag tablets. Each slightly different price and absorb ability. I wouldn’t say that the skin oil is better, just that it is better for me - but that is because my dodgy guts mean I can’t absorb the tablets properly.

As with everything, I would research well, and buy the best quality tablets you can, from a reputable brand.

Believe me, if I had the choice, I would prefer tablets to oily legs :)