What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

Chronicle_Cat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the hugs, Chronicle_Cat. You sound like you need one too. :( Does your mum still live in her own home and if so is she near to you? Best wishes to you both.:)

No, my mom now lives in a long term care home (nursing home) here in Canada, she's turning 91 shortly. She was living with my Dad in a retirement home (their own apartment, meals provided) but he could not manage her any more. He's turning 93 himself, no signs of dementia but he is getting very physically frail. My sister lives in an inaccessible home and I told the government case manager that I'm still grieving my son's death (almost 4 years ago at age 25 unexpectedly due to SUDEP) and I have a past history of clinical anxiety and depression. We also told her that we were very worried about the stress on our dad and his mental health had started to decline because of this stress. When she'd been in the hospital (as a result of broken bones due to a fall, she has very severe osteoporous), she had delirium, was confused and had wandered.

Both of my mom's parents had dementia. Her long term care home is a good one although the placement process was difficult (there aren't enough good places and wait lists are long.) She's been there over a year now and has a good friend at the same stage of Alzheimer's.

She's on the other side of the city from me but my sister and I visit her often and take our Dad to see her (he lives close but can no longer drive.) . They miss each other but he calls her every day and we call her often. She still recognizes us (early to mid stage) but we had to remove our phone numbers because she'd call 50x a night or in the early hours of the morning (my Dad fell out of bed trying to answer, luckily he didn't break anything.) . She also has some physical issues (multiple back fractures due to severe osteoporous, lactose intolerant all her life). Several days ago, she had 2 abcessed teeth removed in her room in the home by a dentist (abcessed because they broke due to the osteoporous), although she was co-operative with the dentist, it was a tough day for her (and me), I stayed with her all that day.

Last edited:
Reactions: Freema

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No, my mom now lives in a long term care home (nursing home) here in Canada, she's turning 91 shortly. She was living with my Dad in a retirement home (their own apartment, meals provided) but he could not manage her any more. He's turning 93 himself, no signs of dementia but he is getting very physically frail. My sister lives in an inaccessible home and I told the government case manager that I'm still grieving my son's death (almost 4 years ago at age 25 unexpectedly due to SUDEP) and I have a past history of clinical anxiety and depression. We also told her that we were very worried about the stress on our dad and his mental health had started to decline because of this stress. When she'd been in the hospital (as a result of broken bones due to a fall, she has very severe osteoporous), she had delirium, was confused and had wandered.

Both of my mom's parents had dementia. Her long term care home is a good one although the placement process was difficult (there aren't enough good places and wait lists are long.) She's been there over a year now and has a good friend at the same stage of Alzheimer's.

She's on the other side of the city from me but my sister and I visit her often and take our Dad to see her (he lives close but can no longer drive.) . They miss each other but he calls her every day and we call her often. She still recognizes us (early to mid stage) but we had to remove our phone numbers because she'd call 50x a night or in the early hours of the morning (my Dad fell out of bed trying to answer, luckily he didn't break anything.) . She also has some physical issues (multiple back fractures due to severe osteoporous, lactose intolerant all her life). Several days ago, she had 2 abcessed teeth removed in her room in the home by a dentist (abcessed because they broke due to the osteoporous), although she was co-operative with the dentist, it was a tough day for her (and me), I stayed with her all that day.

My father also had servere alzheimers , it is a terrible disease. , but your family seems close and loving , great job you are doing

Viv19

It’s lovely, but as the name suggests, very dark and bitter. I really like dark chocolate nowadays but a year ago, before I started eating low carb I only liked sweet milk chocolate.
Interesting about the thyroid - do you have thyroid problems?

Yes, I have an under-functioning thyroid, and have cysts. So I go once a year and sit, hardly breathing, while they measure the cysts to see if they have grown in size, and wait to be told whether they will have to operate (cut my throat - the idea terrifies me) or whether I’m ok for another year. I’ve been reading that having a wonky thyroid can also affect blood sugar levels. I’m soon due for another check up so more nights without sleep coming up.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All. 5.7 again today. Very cloudy here at the mo which is a pity as I have a day out today with friends to Wisley RHS. Not sure which jacket to wear, lol.
Have a great day everyone. Easter weekend getting nearer, need to work on my meal planner tonight. Stay well, stay safe.