Prediabetic but with weird blood sugar readings

katch00

Hi everyone, I'm new here. I haven't been to my doctor yet but I'm planning to go next week. I discovered I was getting prediabetic readings when I checked my blood sugar levels when I was feeling ill a couple of days ago. It was 6.5mmol on a fast. I've continued to take my blood sugar readings to include after meal readings. Here are my readings for today:

Morning, fasted: 6.2
30mins after meal: 7.1
2hrs after meal: 5.5

What's going on here? Can anyone shed any light on this? Is the 5.5 normal when fasted was 6.2? Thanks!

Reactions: Freema

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Due to the inaccuracy of meters you may or may not be prediabetic, you will need to have a HbA1c test to find out. Fasting tests are often higher due to an effect called Dawn Phenomenon where the liver produces glucose to start the day, so the 6.2 and 5.5 are quite possible.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
At first glance they look OK.

Fasted 6.2 is a little high but you may just have had a liver dump. I assume that this was absolutely the first thing you did after waking?

Your post meal numbers look OK. You should really include a reading before first bite to show how much your BG has risen after the meal.
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html
lists the values for diabetics and non-diabetics.

You should take a BG reading last thing at night as well as first thing in the morning.

If in doubt, get uoir Doctor to arrange an HbA1c test.

Ping @daisy1 for the welcome pack.

katch00

Thank you both very much. I'm going to continue taking these readings and then show them to my doctor next week and hopefully get a HBA1c test.

I hadn't heard about the liver dump before so that makes sense. And yeah the fasted ones are taken just after I get up. I'll take readings before meals and before bed too. Thank you very much! :)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You said you were feeling ill when you had that 6.5? That could be one reason it was slightly elevated, along with the dawn phenomenon. Illness, anxiety, stress and so on all cause elevated levels. It isn't just food.

katch00

Yeah I was feeling generally unwell so did my blood sugar and blood pressure. That's interesting. I'm also wondering if my medication could be elevating my blood sugar as I'm on a lot of psych meds.

How do you tell the difference between stress/illness/etc elevated blood sugar and actual diabetes?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yeah I was feeling generally unwell so did my blood sugar and blood pressure. That's interesting. I'm also wondering if my medication could be elevating my blood sugar as I'm on a lot of psych meds.

How do you tell the difference between stress/illness/etc elevated blood sugar and actual diabetes?

It could be medication. There is no difference between food related BS levels and hormone related BS levels. (stress hormones etc) The BS just rise in either case.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@katch00
Hello and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it interesting and helpful.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEW MEMBERS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 147,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

katch00

Thank you Daisy.

I did my blood again this morning and it was 5.3 so I'm not sure what's going on. It was 6.4 at bedtime. Will just wait and see what my doctor has to say. This website/forum is very helpful.

katch00

Hey guys, just thought I'd update. I took my blood sugar readings to my psychiatrist today and asked if she could give me an HbA1c test. She told me I was tested in January and that it was fine, my level was 31, and I don't know what that means other than I'm in the normal range. Whew. The dangers of self-diagnosis. I must just have high levels in the morning. Thanks again for all the help :)

Reactions: Guzzler

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey guys, just thought I'd update. I took my blood sugar readings to my psychiatrist today and asked if she could give me an HbA1c test. She told me I was tested in January and that it was fine, my level was 31, and I don't know what that means other than I'm in the normal range. Whew. The dangers of self-diagnosis. I must just have high levels in the morning. Thanks again for all the help :)

That is great news! Now stop worrying ;)

Non-diabetic HbA1c is under 42
Pre-diabetic is 42 to 47
Diabetic is 48 and above.

So you are well under. :)

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
Your nowhere near pre diabetic.
I had to hit the low carb life pretty hard to get down to your level.

Relax.

My normal morning numbers are between 4.5 and 5.5 depending on the previous days. Can pop a 6.5 sometimes just because. Diabetes is like that.

katch00

Well that's why I thought I was prediabetic - my morning numbers. I took my readings over 10 days and it ranged from 5.2 to 6.5, averaging at 5.9. My liver must just be doing that sugar dump or something else is going on. Dunno, but yeah, I'm relieved. :)