Breakfast.....cereals

Cap'n M

Verified HCP
Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
EU27, CO2 Global Warming Scam, Theresa May, Comrade Boris Johnson.
I've posted before that a very low carb diet comes with great control benefits but that proteins/fat contain no fibre, and that's likely to cause chaos in the loo department!
Fibre tends to bring a carb load with it. I go for a mixture of 50/50 medium cut Oat Bran with Chia seeds [45G suits me], made into a microwaved porridge. If I feel hungry after this, I sometimes boil up an egg or two.
Boring every day, but it works. I need inject only 3-6 iu of Insulin to cope with this. My daily Insulin requirement varies from 21-26 iu.
My BMI is around 24 and HbA1c 41, so I must be doing something right.

Reactions: nadiq38

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've posted before that a very low carb diet comes with great control benefits but that proteins/fat contain no fibre, and that's likely to cause chaos in the loo department!
I found that but found ways of managing it eventually.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat a lot of fats and protein, hardly any vegetables. I do eat small portions of peas and a lot of mushrooms, and some green veg on my Sunday roast. I have zero problems in the toilet department. I add a generous amount of ground flaxseed to my lunch meals every day and half a slice of Burgen bread. That's it, more or less.

Reactions: jjraak

Cap'n M

Verified HCP
Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
EU27, CO2 Global Warming Scam, Theresa May, Comrade Boris Johnson.
I eat a lot of fats and protein, hardly any vegetables. I do eat small portions of peas and a lot of mushrooms, and some green veg on my Sunday roast. I have zero problems in the toilet department. I add a generous amount of ground flaxseed to my lunch meals every day and half a slice of Burgen bread. That's it, more or less.

Yes, well done. If that suits you. Flaxseed might help. However, the topic was "Breakfast Cereals" and I would not endorse green vegetables for breakfast, although we eat loads otherwise, especially when our allotment is in season.

I

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, well done. If that suits you. Flaxseed might help. However, the topic was "Breakfast Cereals" and I would not endorse green vegetables for breakfast, although we eat loads otherwise, especially when our allotment is in season.

I
So the only way you prevent constipation is at breakfast? Of course not. You just gave one meals example (the one being discussed) of how you address the fibre issue you see as relevant to the discussion. Bluetit replied to your fibre issue. She chooses lunch to address fibre.

Why not eat green vegetables for breakfast? I often include spinach in egg based meals for breakfast. I also often eat non traditionally breakfast meals for breakfast. Two days ago it was a leftover chicken and spinach meal. Many cultures around the world don’t have separate breakfast only or breakfast avoided items

For the record I don’t deliberately add any fibre to my very low carb eating and have no constipation issues caused by diet. (Medication has been the only ever issue for me). Some find the fats keep things moving. We are not all alike and most type twos can’t cover the carbs in your breakfast as we don’t take/use efficiently insulin so have to suffer the high bgl instead.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

I

Wot @HSSS said ^^^^ I agree totally and can't add anything else.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Opinions are irrelevant. Clinical trials are not no evidence. Don't say unjustified things just to make yourself feel better.
I can assure you there has never ever been a single "clinical trial" on bacon.

Reactions: jjraak

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Whether you are type 1 or type 2, low carb like scrambled eggs is good. Porridge is good as keeps you full longer. Bacon is back in spotlight for heart issues, so well done for avoiding.

Porridge is not good for T2s not on insulin or strong medication. Far too many carbs. As for bacon - I certainly don't avoid it.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Opinions are irrelevant. Clinical trials are not no evidence. Don't say unjustified things just to make yourself feel better.

Hilarious. Isn’t your previous post....

Whether you are type 1 or type 2, low carb like scrambled eggs is good. Porridge is good as keeps you full longer. Bacon is back in spotlight for heart issues, so well done for avoiding.

....an opinion?

Please show me evidence of your opinions? Porridge spikes my type 2 bgl and leaves me hungry an hour later. What evidential spotlight is bacon under? Why would a person be congratulated for avoiding something that doesn’t not effect their bgl and keeps them full.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Porridge is good for diabetics, as gives steady blood sugar levels rather than peaks n troughs. Do you not read anything? Just giving opinions rather than facts is helpful to no one, n downright dangerous.
Porridge raises bgl. Have you never tested it? As a type one you may be able to cover those high carbs with additional insulin but a type 2 diabetic not on insulin or similar meds cannot. So they get raised bgl (perhaps not a spike but significantly raised) for longer. This does damage. There are plenty of sources of this information out there. Do you not read anything? Or do you swallow whole anything a nhs flyer or newspaper article dishes out? There is plenty of evidence that avoiding grains, like oats, and eating low carb works for diabetics better than whole grains, brown this and that, porridge and the like. There are a huge number of anecdotal success stories on this site alone. I suggest you take a breath and go read it before advocating what people should do.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ladies and gents can we please express just our own experiences of porridge and blood sugar levels and respect others opinions.
As a type 2 I can not tolerate traditional porridge, I know many type 1s can inject for the carbs but most Type 2s don’t have this option. Thanks,

Reactions: HSSS

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I love porridge. Before I was diagnosed I ate porridge every single day for breakfast and it's probably the one thing I miss more than anything else which is why every couple of years I experiment with eating it, testing my BG with my meter before and at one, two and three hours after and, without fail it's gone up in to the mid to high teens. Even at four and five hours it is elevated. I guess that's the slow release aspect.

I don't really care what doctors, studies, the NHS or some random bloke on the internet says, I can can see from my meter that porridge that I eat raises my BG to unacceptably high levels for extended periods of time. Now, let me see, which would I prefer a bowl of porridge or diabetes complications like amputations or loss of sight?

Reactions: Rustytypin and HSSS

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Porridge makes me ravenously hungry, luckily, I stopped eating it ten years ago. A lot in my family say the same, love porridge but hunting for more food within the hour of eating it.

Bacon is a ‘superfood’ and should be eaten at least every day!

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Stop talking rubbish. Ever heard of clinical trials? Even this site says porridge is good for diabetics, as well as all related to diabetics, due to low GI.

Why the rudeness and dismissive attitude? ‘Good for diabetics’ is a daft mantra as it’s all down to what raises an individuals blood glucose level.

Instead of being nasty, you could always join in the discussion properly, like adults are supposed to, or try to read the dissection of the last bit of research about how meat is bad and will kill us all, it’s even on this thread!

(Edited: it’s not, it’s on another incredibly easy to find thread. Thanks @bulkbiker).

Quote edited by Mod

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: LalaALH

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Unless they eat lots of porridge then they'll get some nice insulin to take..!

Funny you should say that.... I went on to insulin almost immediately after diagnosis due to very, very high BG, it was only when I started low carbing and dropped the porridge that I reduced and eventually discontinued the insulin.

Reactions: Bluetit1802