Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I can't think of one reason why you shouldn't drink green tea, if it is due to some other condition it may be best to run this past your gp and ask for their advice. I am type 1 and drink green tea everyday, I'm actually drinking a cup as I type and did have my diet checked around 6 months back by a dietitian who said my food and drink intake was very good.

Nigel

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I've just upped my consumption of green tea.
I like this a lot better than black tea because it tastes nice with a bit of lemon juice and no milk and I still can't really enjoy black tea without sugar (so no black tea).

Because this is a change in my diet I thought I had better Google it to make sure there were no adverse effects on diabetics.

However it seems that green tea may have positive benefits for diabetics.

For example http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2210/4/18 has some encouraging words hidden amongst all the jargon.
It seems possible that green tea may reduce insulin resistance because it can reduce blood glucose without increasing insulin production.

Loads more references as well.

I looked for a thread specifically about this but was more or less defeated by the search function.
This is the nearest I have found.

Anyway, loads of gree tea for a while.

Cheers

LGC

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Green Tea tastes like warm pond water. :twisted:

ailz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
people that make me panic. Racism - in fact most 'isms'
Patch said:
Green Tea tatses like warm pond water. :twisted:

I'm with you on that one Patch. lol

Ailz

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Patch said:
Green Tea tastes like warm pond water. :twisted:

Why, do you and Ailz drink warm pond water ? 8)

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
PickledPepper said:
Does anyone know of any compelling reasons as to why I shouldn't drink green tea as a T2?

Non, other than it is weak and flavourless. As unlikely as it seems I agree with Patch and Ailz :lol:

Sue o2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
My daughter drinks this all the time, she's been told its good for weight loss, but omg its disgusting even the one with the lemon in, i'd rather drink plain water :lol:
Sue

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I've tried to tell y'all before - I'm NEVER wrong. :lol:

Ask Ken...

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I love it!
Before I was diagnosed I used to like going to noodle bars and some did an 'everlasting' pot of green tea which went very well with the noodles.
Now noodles are death by carb overload but I still like the green tea.
I even ordered loose green tea off t'Internet because all you can get in the shops is tea bags.
I have a fancy glass Bodum tea pot with a removeable centre part which hold the loose tea.

However, the main thing interesting me at the moment is the possibility that it may reduce your insulin resistance.

Better for me at lunchtime than a beer, as well ;-)

Cheers

LGC

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
I am pretty sure that Tesco sell loose green leaf tea LGC :D I seem to remember my son buying some when he went through a green tea phase.

louiseb

drinking green tea would make me turn green :mrgreen: its rather disgusting.
dont much care for black tea would rather a nice strong black coffee anyday of the week.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I was too wasn't keen on the taste at first but found that changing to a good quality Chinese Green Tea changed my opinion, I buy mine in Holland & Barrett and purchase a brand called Double Dragon, green tea has many health benefits including the ones LittleGrayCat has mentioned above.

Nigel

dorsetlad

Dislikes
T2
We love a nice mug of green tea, and usually go for Tetley's green tea with lemon. I must admit though, it is an acquired taste.

Brian

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
dorsetlad said:
We love a nice mug of green tea, and usually go for Tetley's green tea with lemon. I must admit though, it is an acquired taste.

Not tried Tetleys Brian but there is a brand that's available on the supermarket shelves which will make sure you never try green tea again, Its called Clipper and is both weak and very bland in taste, I tried it to try and save a few pennies and spat it back out again, like many things in life the more you pay the better the quality! :)

BTW, Holland & Barrett (no I am not on commission) sell a very nice green tea with lemon grass made by Heath & Heather, try it you won't be disappointed!

Nigel

clearviews

Dislikes
Arrogance, sarcasm and liars
LittleGreyCat said:
I love it!
Before I was diagnosed I used to like going to noodle bars and some did an 'everlasting' pot of green tea which went very well with the noodles.
Now noodles are death by carb overload but I still like the green tea.

LGC
Hey there LGC,
If I am out and stuck for a meal Ihave found that good noodle bars can give me a low carb meal if I order a clear stock soup without the noodles! I ask for bean sprouts instead of the noodles and apart fromone that must have used something sweet in the stock I do just fine. Chicken and lots of crunchy green veg. Yummmmmm.

I agree with Patch, Aliz and Sid about the green tea. I do like Red tea though. Caffiene free as well.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
clearviews said:
I do like Red tea though. Caffiene free as well.

Although not completely free of caffeine green tea is very low compared to regular tea.

Nigel

Edden

Green tea is very effective for loosing weight and i like green tea and it is very effective for loosing weight and is awesome. I usually take green tea twice in a day.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
What is green tea like for losing weight? I sure wish someone around here could tell me... 8)

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Well if it is like warm pond water an ill dog has peed in (as hinted at up thread) it probably puts you off your food for a while ;-)

Not sure how it helps weight loss but must be bettter than full on Coke and Pepsi!