My LCHF and Newcastle Lifestyle success story so far...

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Sometimes I still feel like *** am I doing? Having extra butter? Cream?

At work I was speaking to a colleague who tries all sorts of diets and we call her the diet queen.

I told her I’m on a diet and she offered to make me a cuppa with green top milk. I said I’ll have a black coffee and at home i put double cream in the coffee or tea and with butter at times

Her response:
OMG don’t do that it’s fattening!

I show folks my tummy in that situation, with "and you should have seen my tummy BEFORE I cut the carbs and raised the healthy fat! It's the carbs that are fattening."

High carbs has decimated the health of many of my family members, and I am not shy in speaking openly about this. Comparing tummies on high carb versus low carb and high fat is a no-brainer for me too. (I believe that the dynamite duo - wheat and dairy - does various things in various doses to many of my family members -it's just a question of finding out which culprit it is...) (That high carbs is bad for us - in my family - is the given...)

charlie000

I show folks my tummy in that situation, with "and you should have seen my tummy BEFORE I cut the carbs and raised the healthy fat! It's the carbs that are fattening."

High carbs has decimated the health of many of my family members, and I am not shy in speaking openly about this. Comparing tummies on high carb versus low carb and high fat is a no-brainer for me too. (I believe that the dynamite duo - wheat and dairy - does various things in various doses to many of my family members -it's just a question of finding out which culprit it is...) (That high carbs is bad for us - in my family - is the given...)
What kind of food do you eat? How is your health since LCHF in comparison to High carb?

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi @charlie000 - sorry about the delay in responding - Easter break! Lots of family, driving, sausages - and dealing with the lure of chocolate easter eggs and hot cross buns. Sigh.

Health comparison - there is no comparison! As in, I was in a bad bad way before I was diagnosed. I thought I had a bunch of separate things wrong with a whole bunch of my body parts. And my general mood was awful - due to rampant high BGs I didn't know about - I got irritated by everything. Once I was diagnosed and went moderate carb by cutting the sugar and sweet things, cutting out processed food - everything settled down as my very high BGs/body fat went down, and I walked a lot. I mean - a LOT. And then things started coming right. Now I say I am pretty fit and strong for a middle aged woman (I work on it), but of course - I'm not healthy. All I have to do is look at high carb food and my HBA1c rises. (OK - I do have to actually eat it.) I chose to live with a gallstone, rather than have the whole gallbladder out, in consultation with a very enlightened gallbladder surgeon, and I am pleased with that decision. I have OK blood pressure, due to the exercise. (Even when I had an HBA1c of 93 I walked a bit most days.)

I have to eat so low carb I am actually keto - depending on if berries are in season. (One doesn't have to eat many blueberries to pop out of below 20g of carbs!) And we had great grapes this year, so I am going to get my hbaic checked to see if my eating the high carb grapes off the vine from time to time has been handled by my body. I hope so! (I live in the southern hemisphere, so just had a very long summer, and in autumn). I am lucky I am dairy tolerant, so eat a lot of dairy, no milk though. I eat a lot of meat, fish, and veg/salad. Almond flour baking. Stevia sweetened treats. And, I treat with not eating as in fasting and intermittent fasting, and a couple of Newcastley diets (VLCDs) which brings my insulin and BGs down if they start rising.

Last edited:
Reactions: charlie000

charlie000

Hi @charlie000 - sorry about the delay in responding - Easter break! Lots of family, driving, sausages - and dealing with the lure of chocolate easter eggs and hot cross buns. Sigh.

Health comparison - there is no comparison! As in, I was in a bad bad way before I was diagnosed. I thought I had a bunch of separate things wrong with a whole bunch of my body parts. And my general mood was awful - due to rampant high BGs I didn't know about - I got irritated by everything. Once I was diagnosed and went moderate carb by cutting the sugar and sweet things, cutting out processed food - everything settled down as my very high BGs/body fat went down, and I walked a lot. I mean - a LOT. And then things started coming right. Now I say I am pretty fit and strong for a middle aged woman (I work on it), but of course - I'm not healthy. All I have to do is look at high carb food and my HBA1c rises. (OK - I do have to actually eat it.) I chose to live with a gallstone, rather than have the whole gallbladder out, in consultation with a very enlightened gallbladder surgeon, and I am pleased with that decision. I have OK blood pressure, due to the exercise. (Even when I had an HBA1c of 93 I walked a bit most days.)

I have to eat so low carb I am actually keto - depending on if berries are in season. (One doesn't have to eat many blueberries to pop out of below 20g of carbs!) And we had great grapes this year, so I am going to get my hbaic checked to see if my eating the high carb grapes off the vine from time to time has been handled by my body. I hope so! (I live in the southern hemisphere, so just had a very long summer, and in autumn). I am lucky I am dairy tolerant, so eat a lot of dairy, no milk though. I eat a lot of meat, fish, and veg/salad. Almond flour baking. Stevia sweetened treats. And, I treat with not eating as in fasting and intermittent fasting, and a couple of Newcastley diets (VLCDs) which brings my insulin and BGs down if they start rising.

How much do you walk?

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi again @charlie000 - I make sure I walk most days, and at least a half hour. When I was first diagnosed (at 93 remember - so I saw it as a life-saving commitment) I walked very long distances. Now I see it as maintenance. I see physical activity as a crucial blood glucose clean up and important for cardiovascular disease prevention. (I am on no medication, and my poor ol liver is clearly not properly functioning along with my pancreas.) So I make sure I am doing some serious uphill walks from time to time. From time to time, if I need to get somewhere local fast, I ride a bike.

Reactions: charlie000