Red and Processed Meat Bowel Cancer risk up to 20%

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Oxford University (at it again, and I bet I know who) and Cancer Research UK are behind the latest it's gonna harm you study:

"Scientists have shown that people eating around 76g of red and processed meat a day** - which is roughly in line with government recommendations*** - still had a 20% higher chance of developing bowel cancer than those who only ate about 21g a day"

https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/ab...processed-meat-eaters-at-risk-of-bowel-cancer

I will guess this is that relative risk, doesn't cross the 2% hazard ratio, confounded and the test subjects would not have been on the carnivore diet, LCHF or Keto - a much better cohort to test. Can't wait for the facts of the study to show this latest one, falling apart like a cheap suit.

Reactions: KookieMunchster

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I do eat red meat, will continue to do so.... Having steak tonight, guess I'm going to die!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
More guesswork and poor science I bet.. note the study itself doesn’t seem to be available..

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
you are right about the hazard ratio being insignificant and I will continue to eat red meat. Sad that in the public's imagination it is now on a par with cigarette smoking (x 30 hazard ratio) .......
Also if we look at people who eat lots of red meat I imagine that we are not talking about just carnivorous and keto or even Paleo folks. We're taking those that live by McDonlds alone and are likely to have many other unhealthy habits (it is tough to adjust for confounders like that) which is the difficulty of observational studies in general. They should not be allowed to power public health debates and all biases should be declared (vegetarians, planet savers as well as carnivores) who deign to pronounce on the 'science' of nutrition.

Reactions: Mbaker and Guzzler

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oxford University. It’s the second oldest in the world (allegedly), educator of 28 Nobel Prize winners, and often cited as the best university on the planet. So what is going wrong here?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Vegan activists..I see Zoes up and about early...
Screenshot 2019-04-17 at 08.04.07.png

Reactions: Prem51
M

Member496333

Yeah sure thing. Modern diseases are caused by ancient foods. Makes perfect sense. I don’t know why our ancestors didn’t think of it. Oh hang on a minute...

:shifty:

Reactions: zand
M

Member496333

Meanwhile, modern foods are our saviour. If only we could convince everyone to eat them, we would all live to be a hundred.

Oh wait, that’s not right either.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Oxbridge is supposed to produce our 'Brightest and Best' and this is the calibre of the material that these boffins churn out? Mind you, Oxbridge also produces many of our politicians so......

M

Member496333

I see Sarah Wholegrain-Boseley from The Guardian is all over it this morning like a tramp with a bag of chips.

M

Member496333

comedy gold..hahahaha

It just winds me up. Humans switch from ancient foods to modern foods and start dropping dead from chronic degenerative ailments and diseases. The solution? Eat less ancient foods. Give me strength. The saddest part is that the truth doesn’t even matter. It only matters what people believe, and the majority will believe this preposterous poppycock.

:mad::mad::mad:

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I see Sarah Wholegrain-Boseley from The Guardian is all over it this morning like a tramp with a bag of chips.
Jim, you have a way with words that just kills me... or would that be the red meat in my diet. Anyway nice knowing you all, I am clearly not long for this world as my processed and red meat consumption has gone international:

upload_2019-4-17_9-3-37.png

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
It just winds me up. Humans switch from ancient foods to modern foods and start dropping dead from chronic degenerative ailments and diseases. The solution? Eat less ancient foods. Give me strength. The saddest part is that the truth doesn’t even matter. It only matters what people believe, and the majority will believe this preposterous poppycock.

:mad::mad::mad:

I'm not embarrassed to admit that before Ivor, Zoe and Malcolm taught me about relative/absolute risk and the differences between correlation, association, observation and RCTs etc I might just have heeded this warning. It's only easy after you've learned it.

M

Member496333

I'm not embarrassed to admit that before Ivor, Zoe and Malcolm taught me about relative/absolute risk and the differences between correlation, association, observation and RCTs etc I might just have heeded this warning. It's only easy after you've learned it.

Exactly.

Reactions: Guzzler

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
You can pry my steak from my cold dead hands at 90+ years old and still with a smile on my face knowing that it did not contribute to my expiration whatsoever. I remember reading that Hong Kong is one of the biggest consumers of red meat and especially steak and they have a pretty **** good life expectancy.

Maybe just maybe it's something other than the red meat... HMM.

Edited by mod for language

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Prem51

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We are having beef strogenof (aka strong enough ) tonight .Are we doomed ? !!
Carol

Reactions: malcs90