BG better at 4.4 or 4.8?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This is what I find strange. Even taking in to account that hospitals and practices can lag in terms of communication it seems odd that you have not been given a second A1c to confirm diagnosis within 2-4 weeks of the initial test. A result of 105 should, by rights, have your practice rushing to test you again. Mine were.

I agree. My HbA1c was only 53 but as my fasting BG was OK I had a confirmatory test about 2 weeks later. It came out at 52.

Reactions: Guzzler

gjd1

In my view, fasting glucose is the best readily available test we can use at home for determining our metabolic health. Runaway liver is a malfunctioning dawn phenomenon, and is the most immediately obvious sign of hepatic insulin resistance. If your l.iver continues secreting inappropriate glucose during gluconeogenesis then metabolic dysfunction is in situ irrespective of what happens after you eat. Personally I regard fasting glucose as more important than postprandial.

Your numbers are very good.
Hi Jim that is interesting. can you show me the science on this?My morning glucose is sometimes higher than 6. I would like to read the papers.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry, but lacto free milk has the same amount of carb as normal milk, I thought there would be less carb and was filled with gloom on finding that there isn't. The lactose is broken down into galactose and glucose, as it is this that some people cannot digest, but the sugar content remains the same. I ended up on hemp milk, which I really liked, but I can't get it now and so moved to soya milk. Except for coffee, I have full fat milk in that.
Hemp milk is available in my local but large Sainsbury’s

Metabolism_Boss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Reality TV shows. Celebrities that are famous for being famous
Hemp milk is available in my local but large Sainsbury’s
Ooh thanks for this, I'll take a look in mine and if they have it, I'll stock up.

Metabolism_Boss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Reality TV shows. Celebrities that are famous for being famous
Arla Lacto free full fat milk that I occasionally buy is 2.6g carbs per 100ml as opposed to 4.7g per 100mls for full fat normal milk.
That's interesting Rachox, everywhere else I have looked, the sugar content has been the same. @HSSS has kindly pointed me in the direction of Sainsburys for hemp milk, which I like best.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
I haven't had breakfast in 3 1/2 years...except for a week on hols when the hotel had a b&b package so I skipped lunch instead!
I have not had breakfast in 30 odd years even then it was erratic, I am never hungry in the mornings bulkbiker. I have my coffee and that's it. I quite often skip lunch and do not eat until 8pm at night. This may sound silly but the later I eat, the better my blood glucose is on waking up first thing in the morning. Although I do find that on testing in the afternoons my BG levels are higher on an empty tummy. If I do have lunch my BG levels are lower.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I always take time when shopping, to even doing calculations!!
Well, I have done another wrong one..Last night, had dinner very late as had visited a friend. I had a salad, green salad with what I normally have. The only difference was..It comes in a joint, Its cooked Polish smoked belly. I cut up a few slices of that and put it on my salad. I had dinner around 10pm, nothing new for me at times, but does not affect my Bloods. I have had nothing to eat since then. Just now took my blood and it came out as 6.7..Very unusual for me to be that high even on an empty tummy. Its never that even when I have eaten.I looked up the Smoked belly pork before buying it and it said 0.4 carb 0.5 sugar. I thought great will have that. Today I checked again, this time ingredients..Bloomin meat has Glucose as the ingredient in. Just goes to show. That is the only thing that I put the blood sugar jump down to.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Well, I have done another wrong one..Last night, had dinner very late as had visited a friend. I had a salad, green salad with what I normally have. The only difference was..It comes in a joint, Its cooked Polish smoked belly. I cut up a few slices of that and put it on my salad. I had dinner around 10pm, nothing new for me at times, but does not affect my Bloods. I have had nothing to eat since then. Just now took my blood and it came out as 6.7..Very unusual for me to be that high even on an empty tummy. Its never that even when I have eaten.I looked up the Smoked belly pork before buying it and it said 0.4 carb 0.5 sugar. I thought great will have that. Today I checked again, this time ingredients..Bloomin meat has Glucose as the ingredient in. Just goes to show. That is the only thing that I put the blood sugar jump down to.
Meant to say..My BL's are usually a little higher when I go all day without eating, but lowers when I have eaten. But does not jump to anywhere near 6.7.. Took bloods again, then was 6.4

charlie000

For me it matters when I eat. If I eat and go to bed, then my body doesn't work as well. I don't know why. I've also noticed if I have all protein and no carb then that spikes me.

Are you following LCHF?

charlie000

Meant to say..My BL's are usually a little higher when I go all day without eating, but lowers when I have eaten. But does not jump to anywhere near 6.7.. Took bloods again, then was 6.4
Please read my story here, I was in hospital an they said my HBA1C was 105. But no official diabetes diagnosis yet by any doctor.

So I went on the new castle diet for two weeks. Then transitioned to LCHF. This week ive started 24 hour fasts. Which I hope to do every other week.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/my-lchf-and-newcastle-lifestyle-success-story-so-far.163390

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
For me it matters when I eat. If I eat and go to bed, then my body doesn't work as well. I don't know why. I've also noticed if I have all protein and no carb then that spikes me.

Are you following LCHF?
Yes, have been for nearly 2 years. When I saw that one of the ingredients was Glucose, that probably contributed to my BL's jump. I thought that it would be a good meal as load of fat on, but Glucose grrr I find if I eater later my morning bloods are lower than if I eat to early

charlie000

Yes, have been for nearly 2 years. When I saw that one of the ingredients was Glucose, that probably contributed to my BL's jump. I thought that it would be a good meal as load of fat on, but Glucose grrr I find if I eater later my morning bloods are lower than if I eat to early
What was your most recent HBA1C? How much glucose was it?

If I have a 0 carb meal, or a very very low carb meal then I'll have a low carb/sugar biscuit to compensate. Because ive noticed that I nee some carbs to maintain lower sugar? I don't know why

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

Are you following LCHF?
Yes and have been for nearly 2 years. Normally in the afternoon without food My bloods are around 5.7. when I eat. 5.3

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Yes and have been for nearly 2 years. Normally in the afternoon without food My bloods are around 5.7. when I eat. 5.3
I am due more blood tests next month

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I know many people who eat Chorizo on Keto, yet it has Dextrose in Glucose, and Syrup. I think that would affect my BSL's. Good job that I don't like it

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Well, I had a glass of red wine and a baby bell cheese. 1 and a half hours later 5.5..Tested again another 1 hour later 5.3..Ahh red wine and baby bell cheese food of the gods." bye bye Polish smoked belly Pork with Glucose in, I am kicking you to the kerb":angelic::angelic:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, I had a glass of red wine and a baby bell cheese. 1 and a half hours later 5.5..Tested again another 1 hour later 5.3..Ahh red wine and baby bell cheese food of the gods." bye bye Polish smoked belly Pork with Glucose in, I am kicking you to the kerb":angelic::angelic:

I have no weight to lose, so red wine is on my menu daily. I need the calories, empty or not. If I over-imbibe my blood glucose remains low. My bedtime reading are always low, and my following morning levels are also better than when I don't. I don't eat babybell cheese, so it isn't that. :hilarious:

PS I don't over imbibe daily or even weekly! My nurse told me that red wine is good for diabetics and also for the heart, but we must never use it as medicine. Wise words.