Freestyle Libre - Does anyone put it anywhere other than their arm?

Gork

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been through 6 sensors so far and only one worked for the full 10 days. A few fell/pulled off but I have now figured that one out as they seem to be staying on now.

In my effort to find a durable location, I placed one on my chest, just over my heart (yes, plenty of meat there... ) but it seemed to be a considerable failure for readings. Everyone was 60% to 90% off from my test strip readings. Had I not verified these by my test strips, I would not have been taking the proper amount of insulin which would, in turn, have driven up my A1c.

Either this is a bad location or it was a faulty sensor. It was replaced by Libre.

My most recent location is on my right arm and the readings are much more in-spec even though some are still 20% off from my Breeze2 readings.

For those that are testing in non-approved locations, are you checking your results by using a test strip?

D

Deleted Account

Had I not verified these by my test strips, I would not have been taking the proper amount of insulin which would, in turn, have driven up my A1c.
The advice I was given was NOT to take any insulin dose based on CGM or Libre as they are not sufficiently accurate.
My understanding is the Libre is not a replacement for finger pricks - it supplements the finger pricks with trending information.

D

Deleted Account

How homogeneous is interstitial fluid? (Eg Do different sites have a different lag time, or even a different relationship, to blood glucose?)
That is an interesting question as I know the readings taken from blood vary depending upon where you draw the blood from.
Some meters include a top for the pricker which means you can take blood from somewhere apart from fingerpricks but I understand this needs to be calibrated differently.
So, I guess the same coudl be true for interstitial fluid.

However, DexCom CGM is recommended to be worn on the belly and it uses interstitial fluid like the Libre.

Gork

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
"NOT to take any insulin dose based on CGM or Libre as they are not sufficiently accurate."

I tend to believe you due to my roller coaster results of readings. Isn't it interesting that after all the conversations I have had with Libre phone clerks, nothing has been mentioned of this. There are several other points that could have been made to clear up other issues and by doing so they could have saved me a few phone calls and their having to replace sensors.

It is as if they do not want to admit that their product may have flaws.
I believe that I will be giving up on this product.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
.Me, I'm happy with it on my arm. I want people to know that the age of the machine-man is comingI do wish they'd offer some different looks though. A white circle is ugly, I only accept it because it's cool technology. I have a weird dislike of circles. Black/grey hexagon please Abbott!

You can jazz them up a bit with covers still circular but quite snazzy. Even get matching sets for reader and sensor.

Gork

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
What kind of covers and do they prevent the sensor from being ripped out?

Karenj72

When yall say muffin top. Are you saying top of hip? I have a medtronic pump with a non preggo bellie (i look 9 months pregnantl) that i keep on right side of bellie. I wonder if i where to put it there... on left side low like the canula....

ShellzyJ

I wear it on my arm as instructed and have not had any difficulties...however, I wanted to add that you can go online and find stickers that fit on the Freestyle Libre Sensor that are really cute...only thing is you have to put it on after the sensor is on your arm...

Gork

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Although I have tried to place the sensor in several locations, I do find that on the outside of the upper arm is best. I doubt this if for any quality of reading rather it seems to be the location of least interference from skin/muscle flexing. I guess that the filament gets pulled out even if all of the adhesive is fully intact.

It still grabs tee-shirt leaves, seat belts, doorway corners, etc. I found a bandage that clings to itself rather than skin and it protects the sensor very well.

However, after three months, I have only been able to use two sensors for the full 10 days. Fortunately, Libre has been replacing the ones that fail. Others here seem to have no problem so I wonder what is wrong in my case.

Might the difference be body-mass index? Mine is quite high. (30+)

Willx2

I started using the Frestyle Libre in January of this year. I have bee a Type 1 diabetic since February of 1973. I was up to 6-8 fingersticks/day prior to starting to use the Libre. Unfortunately I have knocked the sensor of my arms three times, usually within 24-48 hours after starting a new sensor. Very frustrating. I spoke to customer service and they suggested using a skin-prep wipe to make the sensor stick better than it did those times.
Didn't help. I use an insulin pump and sometimes place the insertion site on my lower back. I think I will try p lo acting the sensor on my back or maybe my thigh. I have already wasted three sensors so what have I got to loose by trying a longer lasting location. To customer service's credit they did send me two free replacement sensors for the first two that pulled off.

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Having lost and had replaced two sensors, I was dubious about trying again with Libre. However, online, I found lightweight cuffs (purpose-sewn, made-to-measure, and in a choice of fabrics/colours) which fit over the sensor (batwing placement in my case) around my upper arm. I have found these to work well: I hope they don't interfere with accuracy - though I haven't tested that yet - but they certainly make me feel more secure about accidentally knocking the sensor off my skin.

Gork

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I am very active and of my 11 sensors used since July 8th, 4 did not stick for the full 10 days. Fortunately LIbre replaced them. All of my sensors, except one, were located on the back of my upper arm as prescribed. I use a paper towel soaked with alcohol to clean the area. I also shave off the fine hairs in the area.

I now use a 3" wide "breathable Gentle wrap" bandage to wrap on my arm and secure the sensor. No adhesive, the stretch material sticks to itself and not to the skin or sensor. The last three sensors were in placed full term and I tend to forget that it is there.

I tried one sensor on my chest, about 2" from a nipple and it produce wildly incorrect readings. I am not sure if the location or the sensor itself was at fault.

Mozza47

My arms are quite muscly, not a lot of fat there and I am very "aware" of it in my arm, I have a very mild dull ache constantly, so am considering where else to put it.... Thighs or muffin top seem to be the preference? Any other ideas?

PepperTed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've just tried one in my thigh (midway between the knee and hip, slightly more towards the inside than the outside - that place felt most like my outer arm in consistency). I don't activate for 24 hours but I'll report my findings when I know how accurate it is.

I use my stomach for my pump so I don't want to use it for the Libre, too. The Libre has always left my arm really sore.

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I put mine just at the top of my bottom not excatly my bottom just above and readings have been pretty spot on well as spot on as libre can be

PepperTed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Bottom may be the way to go, Karen! I certainly have enough fatty areas to choose from :)

I activated my thigh sensor this morning, as my nurse recommends waiting 24 hours after insertion. Initial results were well out of whack with my meter but I was high (had a hypo in the night) and I know that affects accuracy.

Now I'm in normal ranges, the results are fairly accurate. Libre says 4.9, meter says 6.1.

kcoller69

What kind of covers and do they prevent the sensor from being ripped out?
I use Grif Grips you can order them online lots of shapes and designs. I was having trouble with the sensor not staying on for the 14 days so I started using them and my sensor stays on the entire time now. I change the grif grip about half way through the 14 days.

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
I’ve been using my belly for absolute ages check it against finger prick reads ok Hb1ac is good so belly for me plus it doesn’t fall off .

buckmr2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Exercise
Just over 2 years ago when I started wearing the Libre
Last thing I could care less about is what anyone else thinks of where I'm wearing it or that it might be a nicorette patch , who cares!

Quite the opposite for me as the first month or two I wore mine on my wrist so people could see it.
Had to shave my wrist before putting the 2nd one on as getting the first one off of a hairy wrist is worse than having a nether region wax. Ouch! Readings were good there too.
Now I was also thinking forehead too as whenever I'm in the hot tub tend to have to keep the arm with the sensor on it out if the water so it's not submerged for over the 20 mins

Last edited: