Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hiya everyone, Yesterday morn I took my fasting/ waking BS it was 8.2 have never ever had a reading that low since being diagnosed so was both in shock and thrilled! went to the diabetes clinic in the afternoon was telling my new DSN [she was lovely] about my new BS reading quite proud of it too also might I add! only had a toasted teacake with a coffee for lunch as was busy , let her know that was what I had for my lunch too, she said oh lets test you now and see if you are still lowish readings I expect you to have... this was 3hrs later by then. Took my BS and to my horror it read 14.9 I felt such a 'idiot' and was crushed. :? Driving home it got me thinking does diabetes listen n respond to your appointments and cause embarrassment? :oops: Like it did me! I know this may seem or even sound daft but I felt a right berk ! Anna.x

alaska

Hi anna29

I'm sorry to say it but a teacake is bound to have that effect. They have 20-30g of quick acting carbs so they're likely to cause a pronounced blood sugar spike. I avoid teacakes (and similar things) as a result.

best wishes
Ed

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
Hi,

sometimes i think the same!!

No need to be embarrassed though, happens to us all. I think my heart would stop if my nurse asked me to test on the stop incase it was a higher reading.

As i also walk the the hospital which takes a while, i'm also nervous about going low while im there too.

You should still be happy that your readings are coming down, don't let the higher reading dis-hearten you!

If nobody made a mistake how would we learn!?!?! :)

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
anna29 said:
Hiya everyone, Yesterday morn I took my fasting/ waking BS it was 8.2 have never ever had a reading that low since being diagnosed so was both in shock and thrilled! went to the diabetes clinic in the afternoon was telling my new DSN [she was lovely] about my new BS reading quite proud of it too also might I add! only had a toasted teacake with a coffee for lunch as was busy , let her know that was what I had for my lunch too, she said oh lets test you now and see if you are still lowish readings I expect you to have... this was 3hrs later by then. Took my BS and to my horror it read 14.9 I felt such a 'idiot' and was crushed. :? Driving home it got me thinking does diabetes listen n respond to your appointments and cause embarrassment? :oops: Like it did me! I know this may seem or even sound daft but I felt a right berk ! Anna.x

Good to see that you are improving your levels Anna.....still work in progress though ? Keep at it.

Did you have any breakfast between the fasting level of 8.2 mmol/l or not. Diabetic's should really eat regularly, even if only a small snack at times. Missing a breakfast doesn't help your levels. Not sure if you did or not from your post.

I also agree with alaska.......a teacake would send my Bg levels soaring, not really a good idea when you are trying to keep levels lower.

No point in worrying about it now though, it's over done and dusted ! Just remember next time to avoid those things that affect your Bg levels, stick to the sort of thing that Sue and I advise new members in our basic advice........you won't go far wrong there and many members have found it works. Carbs need to be reduced to whatever level you feel comfortable with........and that allow you to gain better control of YOUR diabetes.

ATB :)

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi, no didnt have anything to eat till 11am was a toasted tcake due to only thing in, quick n easy to do, was mad busy yesterday morn! Was so proud of the fasting/ waking 8.2 reading never had it that low ever. Then at 3pm , 4hrs later was gutted when 14.9 leapt out of the meter with my new DSN sat next to me! Was red faced with embarrasment. Anna.x :oops:

sugar2

Absolutely! It has ears.
Me to diabetes nurse, no I have not had a hypo is a few days..... 2minutes later I am trying to eat dextrose tables sneakily becasue my BG had gone done.
Well done on teh 8.9, onwards and downwards. :D

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
anna29 said:
Hi, no didnt have anything to eat till 11am was a toasted tcake due to only thing in, quick n easy to do, was mad busy yesterday morn! Was so proud of the fasting/ waking 8.2 reading never had it that low ever. Then at 3pm , 4hrs later was gutted when 14.9 leapt out of the meter with my new DSN sat next to me! Was red faced with embarrasment. Anna.x :oops:

Erm.......yep.....OK :D Lesson learned then....... :?: