Help.... 4 weeks on keto

Anne-marie069

I'm hoping some one may be able to help me out a little, I've been on keto now for just over 4 weeks. On the first week I lost 6 pound and was really excited (I understand that this was water weight) but still I was excited.
The scales haven't moved since. I keep track of my macros and weigh everything. My fats are normally around 120g and carbs at 12g may be a little higher but never over 20g protein I struggle with can be as low as 30g or up to 90g. I don't normally snack In between meals I eat 1 or 2 meals a day depending on work pattern. I do low impact toning excerise twice a week and hop on the excerise bike and do 15 miles 4 times a week. What can i do to lose some pounds it's really annoying that I'm trying so hard but not seeing a difference on the scale

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What kind of thing are you eating? and when?
If you give us a few examples.. and maybe age and starting weight if you are happy to share such info.
Everyone reacts differently and forw omen even the magic of keto can sometimes take a bit of time to work.
Are you also taking measurements of things like waist and bust as well as weight as things can move around.
There was an amazing picture I saw recently of a woman who had lost 1 pound in weight but had completely transformed her body.. I'll see if I can find it..

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There you go.. it was 2 pounds loss...
ATTACH=full]32401[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-04-17 at 23.08.06.png
    Screenshot 2019-04-17 at 23.08.06.png
    659.4 KB · Views: 3,151
Reactions: HSSS

Anne-marie069

Today I had 3 scrambled egg with butter handful of spinach and mushroom and asparagus for breakfast. This evening I had lots of spinach and rocket with avocado, olives, goats cheese, tomato, cucumber, celery and olive oil and 3 pieces of belly pork. I have noticed a little difference in my measurement but nothing spectacular. I'm 5ft 3inch and 11 stone so classed as overweight

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It’s really common to have this stall on keto. Have you measured yourself? It often shows there first.

I’ve seen various explanations and I’m really not sure how scientifically accurate they are. However the fact that virtually every low carb forum or group I’ve looked at (a fair few) has your exact question popping up daily makes me think there’s something g in one of them, or both. Whatever the explanation time and time again people find if they hang on in there and do it right it happens.

1. As your body adjusts to less glucose lots of “healing” takes place before weight is lost. A bit vague but if you consider insulin and other hormones rebalancing and the liver and pancreas shedding some of their excess glucose and possibly body cells too according to some theories maybe it has something. And only when a certain degree of “healing” has occurred does weight change.

Or

2. Fat cells (after the initial water weight whoosh you’ve had) lose some fat, but that lost fat is replaced by water as a place holder so that the cell can accept new fat it expects to come its way - as it always has until now. After a while it realised that the supply has been cut off and the water then is finally lost Andy the weight shows on the scales.

Honestly though I’d be looking at the glucose meter and maybe the tape measure rather than the scales for now. If you get the bgl right the weight will follow.

Reactions: catarinagallo
M

Member496333

In my opinion only - forget weight for now. What’s more important is insulin sensitivity. Keep plugging away, it may take months before your whole body outwardly reacts. My body is still changing over a year after starting keto.

As an example I now weigh more than when I started, but I’m no longer a metabolic disaster.

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
Yep! Echoing what everyone else has said here, I tend to do strength training three times a week and build muscle really easily so I've stalled at 18st currently BUT 44 inch waist compared to 46 a few weeks ago and down another shirt size to XL. Sometimes takes a little time to kick in but it will! Just keep an eye on how you look and feel, that is the most important.

DrumAlert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm hoping some one may be able to help me out a little, I've been on keto now for just over 4 weeks. On the first week I lost 6 pound and was really excited (I understand that this was water weight) but still I was excited.
The scales haven't moved since. I keep track of my macros and weigh everything. My fats are normally around 120g and carbs at 12g may be a little higher but never over 20g protein I struggle with can be as low as 30g or up to 90g. I don't normally snack In between meals I eat 1 or 2 meals a day depending on work pattern. I do low impact toning excerise twice a week and hop on the excerise bike and do 15 miles 4 times a week. What can i do to lose some pounds it's really annoying that I'm trying so hard but not seeing a difference on the scale
One thing's for sure.. Your body WILL be burning fat for energy. But if you're putting a little muscle on, which you will be if you're doing 60 miles a week on the bike, it will mitigate the fat loss, what with muscle being heavier than fat an'all.

I think the plateau is a feature of all diets though isn't it? I experienced it several times when I lost 6 stones in the 90's on a calorie controlled diet. I was told it was the body undergoing "adjustments".

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are a type two diabetic then getting your blood glucose down to normal levels is far more relevant than weightloss.
I have found that even though I am not loosing weight I am losing volume - and dropped down to where I can pick up a size M and wear it, where I had got up to XXL on the high carb 'healthy' diet I was on before diagnosis.
A type two's metabolism at diagnosis is usually staggering about under the onslaught of carbs we are all supposed to eat, so it does take time to get it up and running again - just keep at it and you too could find that your clothes are sliding off at inopportune moments - I was in the supermarket when I got that sinking feeling.

poemagraphic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
WIFI, Mobile phones. Smart metres... in fact anything 'smart'
If you are a type two diabetic then getting your blood glucose down to normal levels is far more relevant than weightloss.
I have found that even though I am not loosing weight I am losing volume - and dropped down to where I can pick up a size M and wear it, where I had got up to XXL on the high carb 'healthy' diet I was on before diagnosis.
A type two's metabolism at diagnosis is usually staggering about under the onslaught of carbs we are all supposed to eat, so it does take time to get it up and running again - just keep at it and you too could find that your clothes are sliding off at inopportune moments - I was in the supermarket when I got that sinking feeling.

Some wise words and a great result my friend!