Drinking/Smoking/Vaping? T2's

Traceymac23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Moaner
I vape. I will give it up eventually, just not yet. I feel that keeping everything else under control is enough for me to deal with. Giving up actual fags was the hardest thing of all. I wanted to go to sleep and not wake up again, hence the vaping.
my vape machine arrives on wednesday.......serendipity perhaps as I hope to start my swimming regime tomorrow pending podiatry approval at my appointment tomorrow.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I used to smoke 40-60 a day and tried everything to give it up. I even tried hypnosis. One time i stopped for two years but celebrating passing some exams got me started again. What eventually worked (this was 20 years ago) was some 24 hour nicotine patches.

Reactions: Shas3

mr_cat

vaping can become quite a shopping hobby especially at the beginning..£££!!!
For those concerned about continued use if nicotine it is possible to get very low nic or even 0 liquids.
Doing diy mixing gives you even more control of what you want in your liquids.
For new vapers and those trying to kick a heavy smoking habit I would caution starting with a to low nic%
kick the habit first then taper of the nic if you so wish.
best of luck

Traceymac23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Moaner
vaping can become quite a shopping hobby especially at the beginning..£££!!!
For those concerned about continued use if nicotine it is possible to get very low nic or even 0 liquids.
Doing diy mixing gives you even more control of what you want in your liquids.
For new vapers and those trying to kick a heavy smoking habit I would caution starting with a to low nic%
kick the habit first then taper of the nic if you so wish.
best of luck

I ordered a mix of liquids.......tobacco,menthol breeze,very berry and coca cola.......will mix and match and see what's what?

As far as cash outlay.......I've done the workings and it will pay for itself if I can keep the ciggie intake down.

enb54

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I ordered a mix of liquids.......tobacco,menthol breeze,very berry and coca cola.......will mix and match and see what's what?

As far as cash outlay.......I've done the workings and it will pay for itself if I can keep the ciggie intake down.

Good luck with that... I quit nearly 3 years ago after being diagnosed with T2C prostate cancer and as someone else mentioned it's only after you get scared s***less that in my case worked, cold turkey. Here, marijuana is legally sold (special shops) but I am afraid to try any in case it gets me smoking again, which is also why I'm afraid to try vaping. I'm lucky to have allegedly dodged cancer once, even though still have to do biannual checks for the next several years.

Anyway, anything reasonable you can do to stop smoking is a good thing, plus. think of all the money you'll save! A package of 20 cigarettes here is I think about $16 (CDN) so X 365 days = $5,840.00 for the average smoker...

purplesally

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have always smoked and drank way too much alcohol way too much........before diagnosis I smoked 20-25 ciggies a day and if I had a drink that could e-a-s-i-l-y go up to 80 if I was on a real heavy session:***:

Since diagnosis I greatly reduced the alcohol intake to 1-2 nights a week(from 5) :hungover: and got the fags down to 10 a day maximum:cool:

Since(and indeed during) my recent hospitalisation for sepsis I obviously have had no alcohol pass my lips(although seriously for the first few days I was greedily eyeing up the alcohol hand gel!!).......and I won't do at least until my antibiotics finish.

Having broken the back of the alcohol addiction(let's be honest.....that's what it was....or perhaps is?) I've not really missed it........feel fitter,have more energy and am spending more quality time with the OH instead of getting drunk. However kicking the nicotine habit is proving much harder.......the hospital gave me patches to take away and I have now ordered a vaping kit from Amazon which should help and I have got the daily intake down to 5 a day but struggling to maintain that.

Anyone got any ideas/experience?
I too smoked 20+ a day and really didn't want to give up but finances forced it. I started by trying to cut down like you but it just didn't work. Eventually I just didn't buy any cigs, it was tough but I am now 5 years ciggy free but I still vape. Good Luck

Traceymac23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Moaner
Machine is here.....takes a bit of getting used to!!

Here goes nothing LOL

Reactions: Simon84

Happy hippy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Football
I have always smoked and drank way too much alcohol way too much........before diagnosis I smoked 20-25 ciggies a day and if I had a drink that could e-a-s-i-l-y go up to 80 if I was on a real heavy session:***:

Since diagnosis I greatly reduced the alcohol intake to 1-2 nights a week(from 5) :hungover: and got the fags down to 10 a day maximum:cool:

Since(and indeed during) my recent hospitalisation for sepsis I obviously have had no alcohol pass my lips(although seriously for the first few days I was greedily eyeing up the alcohol hand gel!!).......and I won't do at least until my antibiotics finish.

Having broken the back of the alcohol addiction(let's be honest.....that's what it was....or perhaps is?) I've not really missed it........feel fitter,have more energy and am spending more quality time with the OH instead of getting drunk. However kicking the nicotine habit is proving much harder.......the hospital gave me patches to take away and I have now ordered a vaping kit from Amazon which should help and I have got the daily intake down to 5 a day but struggling to maintain that.

mysticlotus

I was a smoker upto 3 months ago I tried everything over 40 years and nothing worked for more than a few days until I got a Vape pen. OMW I have not smoked since. Actually I tried a puff and found it disgusting. I'm now an avid Vaper and smoke flavours like Pear Drops Sherbet Strawberry Milk and many others. All totally no carbs just flavourings. Ordered a new Vape Mod today that is more up market than the pen. Also I have been cutting down on the amount of Nicotine in the e-juice and its been easy. I'm now on the lowest nicotine amount available. I highly recommend vaping as a way to give up smoking. I'm off for a cup of Earl Grey and Cream Soda flavoured E-Juice Vape. Good Luck in giving up. ;)

Last edited:

Simon84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Machine is here.....takes a bit of getting used to!!

Here goes nothing LOL
Stick with it...I found it very weird for the first few days but stuck with it and 5 years on it's like I never smoked,more money in my pocket,smokers cough and morning nausea-Gone! Blood pressure rock solid at 115/60 with no blood pressure meds and my clothes don't stink anymore so for me-Vaping rocks!! :)

Last edited: