What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@ianpspurs we are all friends here so no flames, ever, as far as I am concerned. I do not know if you have any complications of diabetes or (you dont have to declare either) someone in your family has because I think it then becomes much more vital to choose the only non medicine route currently available to get BG significantly reduced. I think we all question this woe sometimes. I regret I cant have a clementine with abandon or its a balancing act every meal. I have damage to my eyes and have been warned that I will have to inject insulin in the future. That is more than enough to make me accept this way of eating that so far has given me normal BG. Best wishes.

Chronicle_Cat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
4.7 this morning.

@Debandez it's hard isn't it? I have a lot of sympathy for Type 2s who've been diabetic for a long time and have multiple conditions and struggle with their numbers. I know I'm very fortunate that my numbers normalized quite quickly, my body responded very well to dietary changes and it's much harder for some people and not everyone will see the results that I have. (The rest of my message is not about people who are trying, it's about those who won't even try. )

However, also there unfortunately are many, many Type 2s who refuse to make any changes in their diet at all and prefer denial. This includes some of the newly diagnosed.

When I've tried to explain the consequences of complications to them, I've gotten replies like "only Type 1s get complications, we've different" "my doctor told me not to worry", "my dietician told me that I have to have 165g carbs per day" (one said my brain "would shrivel up and I'd die!"), "everything in moderation", "I trust my doctor/dietician/assorted professional etc." I recently got reprimanded on another forum for telling someone not to correct false hypos because it would continue to keep their blood glucose high and that "some of us trust our doctors" (by a moderator who follows the Diabetes Canada dietary recommendations and tells people that's OK to occasionally eat sweets etc "because you have to live". ) I explained that although I myself have a supportive doctor, the responsibility for taking care of my body is mine, not hers because I have to live in it for the rest of my life, my doctor doesn't. That went over like a lead balloon.

I've come to the conclusion that denial is more comfortable for them, even though it will hurt them down the road...

I don't feel I have that luxury. I've seen 2 people I know die from complications from poorly controlled Type 2 (one who went blind and died of kidney failure and the other died from a wound infection where she refused amputation). I chose to have preventative surgery for colon cancer (very high risk) rather than doing nothing and letting it turn into cancer inside me (colonscopy removal was no longer an option, fortunately it was caught in time). Having lost my son (not because of diabetes, but to SUDEP) I know terrible things can and do happen to people, none of us are immune Therefore I will do everything I can to control my Type 2 as well as I can and hopefully reduce the risk of complications. Some prefer to think "it can't happen to me" rather than facing reality.

Last edited:

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@ianpspurs we are all friends here so no flames, ever, as far as I am concerned. I do not know if you have any complications of diabetes or (you dont have to declare either) someone in your family has because I think it then becomes much more vital to choose the only non medicine route currently available to get BG significantly reduced. I think we all question this woe sometimes. I regret I cant have a clementine with abandon or its a balancing act every meal. I have damage to my eyes and have been warned that I will have to inject insulin in the future. That is more than enough to make me accept this way of eating that so far has given me normal BG. Best wishes.
Thankfully I don't have any complications and I don't need metformin but I take 1 as studies have shown a possible reduced risk of cancer. I totally agree that complications of uncontrolled diabetes are hideous and best avoided. I can easily see how sensible use of eat well would not lead to any higher carb consumption than the bottom line LC guidelines 120-150 gms. Abuse of eat well certainly would. I also don't feel at all comfortable with the notion that my level of control is particularly likely to stave off complications hence my desire for quite a bit lower. I think the LC case is massively optimistic - hopefully for all the right reasons BUT I have grave doubts about that. Yes @jjraak people should be given an informed choice properly caveated: -" this (LC) will be difficult, certainly at first; it may not suit you or show the kind of results you may have read about and is definitely not linear; bearing that in mind, I would advise you to try it for 3 months at first, keep in touch with our team asking for help/support or chat, test regularly before and after meals look for a 2 point rise at most. Take this book and these recipes/shopping lists." I'm on board with all that but LC is A way not THE way IMHO. I have only seen a select few in my time on here who I could say, yep I see what you mean by LC working. I don't have a hope in hell of sticking to their regime.

Last edited:

charlie000

Finished eating at 12:30 today (18/04/19). So my no food, liquid only fast started then. I checked my glucose at 15:00, it's at 5.2mmol!

My meal/lunc today:

4 Salmon fillets
Marinated in East End crushed chilli, butter ghee coated, lemon juice - Added pepper & salt after cooking
Fried in a pan using East End Pure Butter Ghee:
https://groceries.asda.com/product/cooking-oils/east-end-pure-butter-ghee-for-cooking/910002823480

Tasted amazing, loved the crispy skin!

Feta cheese
And a small amount of Lurpak salated butter

I had this with fresh squeezed lemon over the fish and green salad (crunchy salad, leaves and lettuce with cucumber) and a slice of red pepper.

Condiments: Nandos, Tabasco and Hellmans Real Mayo.

I had to have a can of Diet Coke as I think I over ate, I wasn't bloating but I was full up. Asda currently got these on offer 30 cans for £7.50.... picked a case up yesterday.. feeling naughty...

Since then I've had a cup of tea with cream. Going to carry on with water throughout the day. Might go gym later if a friend is up for it.

I'll be checking it again before I sleep.

Meeting a school friend tomorrow, who I haven't seen since we left school. Gonna have a steak, I wonder if they'll give me some butter if I request some? Or shall I take my own Lurpak in to the restaurant!? Next meal will be about 14:00, depending on how long we're with other friends.

Might finish off with cinema in the evening, so gotta make sure I don't overload there... I'm a real snacker when watching telly or even sitting at the computer!

I will be posting my BG results once I have my HBA1C Mid June, and once I get my actual results. Then I can compare the estimated HBA1C from the app, and one from the lab.

Dawnmc71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Stopping in here to say hi....I am very happy with my new doc practice, who LOVE low carb and have validated everything I'm trying to do.

Hba1c come back at 55 which is much better than it would have been a month ago ...but cholesterol has jumped from 6.2 to 9.2....Now how much is the **** I was eating, and how much is all the butter on lchf? I have an appt with her to discuss on wed. I'd like to stay off statins and give it a chance, but not sure if they will let me.

Having friends to stay for a few days so off plan and enjoying naughty stuff til Sunday then back on it.

Have a good Easter, everyone x

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was planning on posting my LDL number here today, but so far my doctor's office has not called me to give me the results of the blood work from yesterday. Instead I got a text from the pharmacy saying they have one prescription ready for me.

Yesterday at the doctor's office the assistant said she would refill my test strips and lancets prescription. Today the pharmacy tech said that Medicare won't cover either until the middle of May. Even though in March they pharmacy told me the strips would be refilled in the middle of April. Duh, that's now.

And the prescription they have ready for me? Lipitor. With no word from my doctor, no report from her staff on the blood work, and after 3 months of cutting WAY back on foods that should have kept my LDL number high -- and eating foods that are supposed to LOWER it -- they prescribe a statin, without even telling me first. I

I am not going to take a statin. I worked very hard for 3 months to eat for lower LDL, and now I don't even know what yesterday's number was. Instead I just hear from the pharmacy that I have a prescription for a statin. No discussion with the doc, nothing.

Sorry. I am NOT taking any more drugs. I don't know whether the risk of dying from high cholesterol is worse than the risk of dying from statin side effects, but I really don't need this right now. Yesterday I felt so positive, about the A1C and blood pressure. It was like a fresh start.

Now this.

I don't need this.

Someone please tell me what is the point. Just dragging it out, no longer having to worry about blood pressure, but I could still drop dead from high LDL cholesterol. Great.

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
but cholesterol has jumped from 6.2 to 9.2....Now how much is the **** I was eating, and how much is all the butter on lchf? I
Dawn have you checked the break down on your cholesterol results...i.e. HDL...LDL...triglycerides...of course we all want lower cholesterol however the break down is so important in any decision whether we take statins or not.

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
what is the point. Just dragging it out, no longer having to worry about blood pressure, but I could still drop dead from high LDL cholesterol. Great.
Saskia you have to stop letting your doctors unilateral decision spoil the excellent results you've achieved so far...make yourself a coffee take a little time for yourself & make a plan about what to do...firstly I agree with you that it is not right a prescription has been issued without any consultation with you...secondly I would contact your surgery to ask for the results of your cholesterol test...as I've just said above the breakdown is so important...ooh it must be so frustrating when this kind of thing happens a similar situation I had with my GP...however I worked with him...now we get on well (frustrating he is leaving in June)...there is every point in continuing with your excellent regime...have the afternoon/evening (sorry I have no idea what time it is there) to yourself than tackle them tomorrow it's very worthwhile putting everything in writing...explain you want to work with them in the decision making process...there's nothing wrong with asking to be involved in your own care.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@SaskiaKC you have worked hard and your A1c is great and I am hoping, expecting, the LDL result will be too. The irony of giving you a prescription for statin you dont want when what you really want is strips and lancets. How frustrating for you. Please dont fret blood doesnt like it. Hope tomorrow brings good news...are they open on Good Friday? I dont think surgeries here are. Take care and best wishes.

Reactions: DJC3 and OrsonKartt

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you so much, @Bubbsie . I left a message with my doctor's office requesting a call-back. Then I called my pharmacist. She said that statins are being prescribed routinely now for diabetics, because of the risk of heart disease with diabetes. When she said that, I remembered that a year ago, when I was first diagnosed T2 by this new doctor, the doctor wanted to prescribe a statin then, but I said no way. The other pharmacist, at the other drugstore, recommended a statin too; I told him no way. I had completely forgotten about that.

I know there is much, much worse news people can hear from doctors. Last year I was afraid of metformin, but I have been on it a year and have been fine. It was just such a relief yesterday to get a good medical report, and to feel like for the first time in years I don't have to worry about my health, and the idea of taking yet another drug, that could cause serious side effects, is just too much. I have enough aches and pains as it is, mostly from old horse-related injuries. I don't want to take a drug that can cause aches and pains and that can't be taken with acetaminophen, because acetaminophen is the only pain reliever the pharmacist says I should be taking.

Hug.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@SaskiaKC you have worked hard and your A1c is great and I am hoping, expecting, the LDL result will be too. The irony of giving you a prescription for statin you dont want when what you really want is strips and lancets. How frustrating for you. Please dont fret blood doesnt like it. Hope tomorrow brings good news...are they open on Good Friday? I dont think surgeries here are. Take care and best wishes.

Thanks, @PenguinMum .

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@ianpspurs I too for now have to eat less than 50g LC per day or the game is up. I dont think its is uncommon for us all to eed to find our level. The 120-150g might work to prevent folks becoming diabetic if that's what the Eatwell plate represented. That would be an interesting experiment but not in my lifetime. But once dxd it would soon need to be sliding downward scale for most. All we can do is eat to a personal level to keep the HBA1c below 42 and stick to it and accept it. I feel grateful, most of the time :bored:
Thats all on this from me. Enjoy your weekend. Sounds like Julie is much better and it will be nice to spend time with the littlies!

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't want to take a drug that can cause aches and pains and that can't be taken with acetaminophen, because acetaminophen is the only pain reliever the pharmacist says I should be taking.

Hug.
The choice whether to take a statin should be yours...I don't see any reason why you shouldn't be able to discuss your concerns directly with your doctor before s/he made that decision for you why not just drop them a line explaining your fears then the onus is on them to respond...it's time consuming having to write however that way we can all be sure who said what to whom...I can understand your reluctance my GP was the same we discussed it and decided it wasn't an option for me at that time...do some research I will send you a link to a convertor that breaks down your results & will tell you what levels your LDL HDL & Trigs are at what risk they pose ...then ask for a consultation on the statin question....you'll need the breakdown.

www.hughcalc.org/chol.php

Last edited:

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks, @Bubbsie . That makes a lot of sense.

I did wonder, back in January, when my doctor's assistant called and gave me only my LDL number. All she said about the other bloodwork numbers was that they were "fine," but wouldn't say what they were. I didn't like that, but didn't know how to force her to tell me.

The pharmacist told me that doctors usually see patients again 1-2 months after prescribing a statin, to check liver, etc., but my doctor gave me an appointment for 3 months from now. I wondered why at the time.

I like this doctor, but I'm starting to think that maybe I should be harder to please ... :D

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was planning on posting my LDL number here today, but so far my doctor's office has not called me to give me the results of the blood work from yesterday. Instead I got a text from the pharmacy saying they have one prescription ready for me.

Yesterday at the doctor's office the assistant said she would refill my test strips and lancets prescription. Today the pharmacy tech said that Medicare won't cover either until the middle of May. Even though in March they pharmacy told me the strips would be refilled in the middle of April. Duh, that's now.

And the prescription they have ready for me? Lipitor. With no word from my doctor, no report from her staff on the blood work, and after 3 months of cutting WAY back on foods that should have kept my LDL number high -- and eating foods that are supposed to LOWER it -- they prescribe a statin, without even telling me first. I

I am not going to take a statin. I worked very hard for 3 months to eat for lower LDL, and now I don't even know what yesterday's number was. Instead I just hear from the pharmacy that I have a prescription for a statin. No discussion with the doc, nothing.

Sorry. I am NOT taking any more drugs. I don't know whether the risk of dying from high cholesterol is worse than the risk of dying from statin side effects, but I really don't need this right now. Yesterday I felt so positive, about the A1C and blood pressure. It was like a fresh start.

Now this.

I don't need this.

Someone please tell me what is the point. Just dragging it out, no longer having to worry about blood pressure, but I could still drop dead from high LDL cholesterol. Great.
Lack of proper communication.
With no explanation or information.
It messes with your mind, and throws you badly off balance (it does me and I don't know where I stand at that point of time, and then I make a mess of things).
I fully understand your last few sentences and your emotions are all over the place.

Centre yourself if you can. With this conflicting information, I think you have to make your own decisions about what is best for you for your own peace of mind and sanity.

This is not medical advice, and I cannot advise a course of action.

But from my point of view, because of similar stuff, I made my own decisions on some things, and have given up telling friends my decisions because one comment was, 'oh you will kill yourself if you stop taking the statins, you must take them'.

I've made my own decisions about what I will take and what I won't. I have read/done research/read research and more. The medical profession by 'frightening' me sent me back to the so called 'eatwell' plate. Bad decision for me. Weight went up. Blood sugar rocketed. Blood pressure went up. I ended up with more medicines.

This is not advice. I repeat I cannot advise anyone. Each of our journeys are individual and we are finding our own ways through a difficult maze.

Hugs for you x
>^..^<