What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfairness/ use of offensive language.
Morning all. No test done this morning. ( Long story involving early phone call from mum's district nurse).
Update after yesterday's fbs of 7.8:- Easter lunch with fellow volunteers was served about 2pm. Made best choice available of braised beef with green beans, peas and smallish portion of mashed potato ( Gave roasted carrots/ parsnip to hubby). No starter or pudding despite being surrounded by apple pie, sticky toffee pudding, meringue, chocolate brownies etc with custard! :angelic: At 6pm I felt a bit wobbly so tested -- 4.7. (Wasn't able to test 2 hours after meal as 'involved in taking people home). As I was about to take Gliclizide with my meal I had buttered toast with my 2 scrambled eggs for tea to avoid going too low. :D Enjoy the good weather on Good Friday folks.:joyful:

Last edited:

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That is good news for you and I am delighted both for your progress and the work you are doing. I don't share your trust, particularly in the non-diabetic level. Dr Bernstein, a type 1 insulin user with an incredibly tight regime, is not be useful as a good guide for myself BUT I fully accept your right to your own views. My views will now be kept tightly locked away but nothing I have read has changed them. The interesting thing is that I still maintain an LC diet and analyse it thoroughly. Happy Easter guys - all about atonement/reconciliation so can we just agree to disagree and I'll shut up?

Please don't shut up. Everyone learns from the discussions on our forum. I've changed opinions because Ive learned on not just one occasion. It's all good. Re the low carb, I'm happy eating this way and feel it's worked in controlling my bs better than any other woe. So I'm sticking with it. For the foreseeable future.

Eliz76

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello mates,
At a couple of the other forums I've frequented there was a thread like this one where we all sorta checked in each day, with our first cup of coffee or tea, and reported our fasting or waking blood glucose level and some short comment about whether we're ok with it or if not - why not?...

It worked well as a sort of 'first thread to check' each morning and post to.

I'll start.

This morning was a 5.6mmol for me. That's about normal for me

What about you?

Eliz76

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi this isn’t really on the theme of this thread but more a query.
I have a gp appointment next week and have been asked to get FASTING bloods done the week before. I am T1 and have never been required to get fasting bloods done before so assumed this was an error and went yesterday to my gp treatment room. Nurse wouldn’t do my bloods as I wasn’t fasting. Truth is I would never get behind the wheel of my car fasting as I don’t think I’d be safe and could have to sit and wait ages to get seen so am afraid of taking a hypo. Any t1 out there can advise??

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Who knows? Sometimes it's pleasing to see that mischief shine through!:)

Agree..
Went see mum one time.
Alzheimer's..away with the fairies bless her.
Then as I was leaving, I told her I loved and I'd see her on Saturday....

Clear as a bell, she told me "i don't think so"

I was shocked...

Then I'm sure she winked and started laughing....

I then bent down to press my head to hers, while we shared a laugh
..it was so nice to see a little bit of the mum I knew was still there. .xxx

Reactions: HarryBeau

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Please don't shut up. Everyone learns from the discussions on our forum. I've changed opinions because Ive learned on not just one occasion. It's all good. Re the low carb, I'm happy eating this way and feel it's worked in controlling my bs better than any other woe. So I'm sticking with it. For the foreseeable future.
I too am still LC - last 7 days average 17 gms carbs - so don't anyone run away with the idea I don't do a form of LC. As it is often formulated with lots of red meat, butter, cream and for many coffee and some wine it does not work for me. That, I think, is a major difference and potential misunderstanding/point of emphasis. Where I obtain my "healthy fats" from and arrive at 1800+ cals is a big issue for me. LC is far easier if you enjoy it and especially if it suits you. BTW not a big fan of people telling me I now look just like my dad - in his later years as he declined physically. :arghh: No more on this please I'm done.

Last edited:

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Agree..
Went see mum one time.
Alzheimer's..away with the fairies bless her.
Then as I was leaving, I told her I loved and I'd see her on Saturday....

Clear as a bell, she told me "i don't think so"

I was shocked...

Then I'm sure she winked and started laughing....

I then bent down to press my head to hers, while we shared a laugh
..it was so nice to see a little bit of the mum I knew was still there. .xxx
Those moment are precious, jjraak! My mum has that wink too, usually aimed at the carer or my hubby when she has just said something negative to me. Mum is very confused this morning. District nurse rang me. She had pressed the doorbell before entering using the key from the key safe. ( We have asked them to let us know when they are coming so that we can be there but messages don't always get through). Mum confused the doorbell with the telephone so was on the phone chatting away non stop to me even though there was no-one on the phone. When the nurse gave her mobile to mum so that I could speak to her she didn't know who I was. We have now disabled the doorbell!

Last edited:
Reactions: HarryBeau

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks doglife in the 5s now just keep me eye to it as im on my feet all day in work so get quite a few drops x
Do you get warning signs before your hypos, karen8967? I don't use insulin but my Gliclizide sometimes causes sudden drops. As soon as I feel the shakes coming I test and eat jelly babies. Yet my fbs and HbA1c are higher than they should be! It's a mystery. Hope you go on OK today.:)

poemagraphic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
WIFI, Mobile phones. Smart metres... in fact anything 'smart'
Morning all 4.2 on the meter this morning after b-b-qing supper last night with friends ( the whole salmon was on special at Asda). Looking forward to a day out in London with my daughter and her children today. If the weather stays good we will picnic in the lady di memorial park. One of the best free adventure areas for small children I have come across anywhere. Else its a museum . Have a good day all.

Have a GREAT Day!

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi this isn’t really on the theme of this thread but more a query.
I have a gp appointment next week and have been asked to get FASTING bloods done the week before. I am T1 and have never been required to get fasting bloods done before so assumed this was an error and went yesterday to my gp treatment room. Nurse wouldn’t do my bloods as I wasn’t fasting. Truth is I would never get behind the wheel of my car fasting as I don’t think I’d be safe and could have to sit and wait ages to get seen so am afraid of taking a hypo. Any t1 out there can advise??
No advice from me Eliz...I am type 2 and to my shame woefully ignorant of type 1...I'm sure one of our T1 members can advise however since it's the Easter weekend you may have to wait a few days for a response.