T1 Fasting blood test???

Eliz76

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a gp appointment next week and have been asked to get FASTING bloods done the week before. I am T1 and have never been required to get fasting bloods done before so assumed this was an error and went yesterday to my gp treatment room. Nurse wouldn’t do my bloods as I wasn’t fasting. Truth is I would never get behind the wheel of my car fasting as I don’t think I’d be safe and could have to sit and wait ages to get seen so am afraid of taking a hypo. Any t1 out there can advise??

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I have a gp appointment next week and have been asked to get FASTING bloods done the week before. I am T1 and have never been required to get fasting bloods done before so assumed this was an error and went yesterday to my gp treatment room. Nurse wouldn’t do my bloods as I wasn’t fasting. Truth is I would never get behind the wheel of my car fasting as I don’t think I’d be safe and could have to sit and wait ages to get seen so am afraid of taking a hypo. Any t1 out there can advise??
I think the cholesterol levels are done fasting?
I agree, fasting blood sugars are irrelevant.
Personally, if I'm doing a rare fasting level, I just don't inject before I have the blood test....

Having said that, apparently fasting for cholesterol is now out of fashion (according to Dr Google.)

Ask the nurse which test needs to be fasting - she's possibly clueless and thinks you"re T2.....

Eliz76

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I did tell her I was T1 and don’t usually get fasting bloods done but made no difference.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
If you are uncertain of how to mange this, speak with your DSN.
What I usually do is check my BSL once dressed to ensure it is high enough to drive and not too high.
Depending on the routine that day I usually hold-off my pre-meal insulin injection and breakfast
Bundle the insulin. pen and breakfast into a bag and get to the surgery as soon as it opens.
At my surgery we have a number system for blood tests so I try to obtain the first or at least one of the low numbers.
That way the blood test is over and done with and I can have my injection of insulin followed by my breakfast.
If I get held up, I explain directly or with a note to the receptionist or blood test lady that I am fasting and needing to take my insulin soon so that I can jump the queue if need be.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi Eliz, the only thing I can think of is to get to the hospital FIRST, ie very early. Many people do the same so you will still have to wait but better than getting there in the afternoon and having to wait all morning before you can eat anything. I'm guessing you normally have breakfast when you get up then? Also, I have seen people talk to the people at the blood clinic and ask to go first because they are feeling hypo or are afraid they may go hypo. Worth a try if you are very anxious etc. x

Edited to add kitedoc beat me to it!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you have any other medical conditions that require blood tests?

If they are doing a full cholesterol lipid panel that includes triglycerides, it should be a fasting test or the results can be elevated. (this is a known fact) Some surgeries still insist on fasting for this test. Others say it doesn't matter. However, the "it doesn't matter" brigade do it for mainly logistics purposes, and this is what is recommended by NICE. The reason being fasting tests are normally done in the mornings. Non fasting tests can be done at any time. Trying to fit in all the fasting tests in a morning can be a nightmare and often results in a longer wait for an appointment.

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People telling me how to control my diabetes. My health. Isms. People walking their dogs off leads in illegal areas. Meat that bleeds. Late buses.
Is it possible they wanted a reading before you consumed carbs? So a basal test of sort? I'd ask if that is what they meant. For most on modern mdi or pump plans that should be possible. But I am sure your dietitian could work something out regardless.