What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What type of diabetic are you and what medication do you take
I am T2 and was put straight on insulin When first diagnosed. Was on insulin for 4 years and in 2016 I started low carb, then went to keto and was able to fully come off insulin in September 2017.: I have never taken any other diabetes meds.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5.8 this morning. I'm fine with that, considering it isn't really FBG. I woke up 3 1/2 hours ago to lightning and thunder and rain that sounded more like hail. I got up to let the KittenCat into the closet to hide, then drank some water and ate two crackers before I thought, Well, that's broken my fast.

Traceymac23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Moaner
Finished eating at 12:30 (19/04/19) - yesterday

So my no food, liquid only fast started then. I checked my glucose two hours after eating at 15:00, it was at 5.2mmol!

My meal/lunch was:

4 Salmon fillets
Marinated in East End crushed chilli, butter ghee coated, lemon juice - Added pepper & salt after cooking
Fried in a pan using East End Pure Butter Ghee:
https://groceries.asda.com/product/cooking-oils/east-end-pure-butter-ghee-for-cooking/910002823480
Feta cheese
Lurpak butter

On a 24 hour fast so next meal around 1pm today possibly 2pm

Went to bed with it at 4.4mmol at 10.34pm last night

Just checked my glucose it’s at 4.5mmol

I’m not official diagnosed diabetic I think I’m pre diabetic and no medication
decent numbers though!

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Reading was 12 at 7 am.

No! I was good yesterday afternoon with everything I ate etc. I wasn’t having that so I tried another finger. So a moment later I am 9.1 with the next finger at 7.05 am

Doesn’t make sense. I washed my hands in plain water as I do every time before a prick.

Got to dash now....a canal boat calls...

Happy weekend to you all.

Take care

>^..^<

Hug for the numbers.

The calling canal boat sounds interesting. I read two very good novels about narrow boats several years ago.

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you get warning signs before your hypos, karen8967? I don't use insulin but my Gliclizide sometimes causes sudden drops. As soon as I feel the shakes coming I test and eat jelly babies. Yet my fbs and HbA1c are higher than they should be! It's a mystery. Hope you go on OK today.:)
I get an intense hunger get the shakes and sweat profusely most of the time but very occasionally i dont get any symptoms but tommy says my eyes look glazed although i dont notice

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hug for the numbers.

The calling canal boat sounds interesting. I read two very good novels about narrow boats several years ago.

It was a brilliant day trip out on a canal boat. Clear blue skies and sun...

I do love canal boats. I have lived in a canal boat a short while when I was very much younger. And I painted those castle scenes on the canal boat doors for someone. Again a long time ago.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning All. 6.0 today.
@karen8967 hugs for the hypos and to all of you having a bad run of them.
@Debandez happy hols hope the sun shines for you.
@gennepher enjoy the canal boat.
@Cumberland hope the ankle is improving.
Have a Good Friday everyone. Have fun. Stay well, stay safe.

Thank you!
I did. It was a lovely slow trip...
Hope you had a great good Friday
>^..^<

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It was a brilliant day trip out on a canal boat. Clear blue skies and sun...

I do love canal boats. I have lived in a canal boat a short while when I was very much younger. And I painted those castle scenes on the canal boat doors for someone. Again a long time ago.

The two novels I read are by Katie Fforde. Life Skills and The Rose Revived.

Chronicle_Cat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning all, 4.4 for me.

Regarding my dad - he's sharp as a tack still, no signs of Alzheimer's (although getting physically frail which he hates because he's always had a strong constitution). He's a lovely person but has always lacked tact and his social skills aren't the greatest. However, he is fiercely loyal and tries very hard to be supportive in his own way. For a man of his generation, he's very unconventional (very proud of my mom's achievements and never into traditional gender roles.) I suspect he has more than a touch of Asperger's Syndrome as did his mom, my paternal grandmother, That's fine, my husband also has some. (Neither have ever been officially diagnosed - my husband is aware of his. Our late son had severe nonverbal autism, intellectual disability, epilepsy and atypical bipolar disorder and we suspect that there is a heavy genetic loading for autism spectrum disorders on both sides. I have ADHD myself.)

Although my mom has early-mid stage Alzheimer's, fortunately it isn't moving fast, fortunately. I still see a lot of her personality most of the time.

Last edited:

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning all, 4.4 for me.

Regarding my dad - he's sharp as a tack still, no signs of Alzheimer's (although getting physically frail which he hates because he's always had a strong constitution). He's a lovely person but has always lacked tact and his social skills aren't the greatest. However, he is fiercely loyal and tries very hard to be supportive in his own way. For a man of his generation, he's very unconventional (very proud of my mom's achievements and never into traditional gender roles.) I suspect he has more than a touch of Asperger's Syndrome as did his mom, my paternal grandmother, That's fine, my husband also has some. (Neither have ever been officially diagnosed - my husband is aware of his. Our late son had severe nonverbal autism, intellectual disability, epilepsy and atypical bipolar disorder and we suspect that there is a heavy genetic loading for autism spectrum disorders on both sides. I have ADHD myself.)

Although my mom has early-mid stage Alzheimer's, fortunately it isn't moving fast, fortunately. I still see a lot of her personality most of the time.

Your parents remind me a bit of my parents. My father was very proud of my mother's achievements (she worked as a home economist before they married), and they did not raise my sister and me to play traditional gender roles. I've been told he was an unusual 1950s father in that he helped fully with childcare (he had a full-time job outside the home but was always home nights and weekends and used to take us to the park and stuff so my mother could have some time off). My mother was very loving but also pretty outspoken; she would stand up for us and stand by us, but was also quite forthright about what we should and should not do, for our own good!

You sound like a very good daughter, as well as wife and mother, @Chronicle_Cat .

geefull

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
good afternoon all :)

was 5.1 this morning

out volunteering in the charity shop today which was a shame in some ways because the weather was lovely outside ;)

one of the local church groups was hosting a hot cross bun and coffee concert in the rose garden across the way from the shop so the smell of toasting hot cross buns was wafting on the air :sorry:

Hope your day is treating you well :)

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfairness/ use of offensive language.
I get an intense hunger get the shakes and sweat profusely most of the time but very occasionally i dont get any symptoms but tommy says my eyes look glazed although i dont notice
Similar to my symptoms, karen8967. They don't give me much notice so I have to test straight away. My husband, however, says he can tell I'm getting low because I get "snappy" LOL Hope you were OK today.

Chronicle_Cat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Your parents remind me a bit of my parents. My father was very proud of my mother's achievements (she worked as a home economist before they married), and they did not raise my sister and me to play traditional gender roles. I've been told he was an unusual 1950s father in that he helped fully with childcare (he had a full-time job outside the home but was always home nights and weekends and used to take us to the park and stuff so my mother could have some time off). My mother was very loving but also pretty outspoken; she would stand up for us and stand by us, but was also quite forthright about what we should and should not do, for our own good!

You sound like a very good daughter, as well as wife and mother, @Chronicle_Cat .

Thank you @SaskiaKC . Both my sister and I consider ourselves very lucky, our parents are both wonderful people and we had wonderful parenting (not everyone is so lucky).

They do sound similar, don't they?

When we were little, my mom started back to work as a librarian two evenings and weekends. My dad looked after us. He was the oldest in his family and looked after the others as babies and had more experience than my mom. The neighbours asked "are things that bad your wife has to work?". Although the money helped, he recognized that mom loved being back in the library.

He was a civil engineer and was very proud of my mom (she retired as the founding chief librarian for a community college here). My dad always did the grocery shopping