What do you say, and what do they mean?

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Margi,

Your story doesn't surprise me. I was diagnosed aged 8, weighing 2st 12lb, but I'd been that weight since age 6, getting taller but thinner. Unlike you, I had no appetite at all so at the time it wasn't surprising my weight stayed low, but in retrospect it likely wouldn't have made much difference. That period included a minor road accident, then concussion, then "glandular fever" that didn't improve much until type 1 was diagnosed. Hard to know where the g.fever ended (if it really was that) and the type 1 began, but clearly I'd been effectively losing weight for a long time before diabetes was diagnosed.

grh1904

Reading through this thread had me chuckling & giggling with some of the posts. I didn't know that "as one of them there diabetics" I was supposed to look any different from "normal" people.

It reminds me of a scene from the Monty Pyhton film, QUEST FOR THE HOLY GRAIL": -

I'm not a witch, I'm not a witch....................

Yes, but you are dressed as one.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
One bit of me would love to go back to pre diagnosis weight. There I was grandmother in my fifties and weighed a stone less than when I was married, at 21, 'you can never be too rich or too thin' Well couldn't be the first, but it was great to be the latter at my sons wedding.
Now I'm probably where I should be, high end of 'normal'. :(

Margi

grh1904 said:
Reading through this thread had me chuckling & giggling with some of the posts. I didn't know that "as one of them there diabetics" I was supposed to look any different from "normal" people.

It reminds me of a scene from the Monty Pyhton film, QUEST FOR THE HOLY GRAIL": -

I'm not a witch, I'm not a witch....................

Yes, but you are dressed as one.

Sometimes having a disability (hiding now) that is invisible can be difficult. If you look just like everyone else, people seem to find it hard to realise that your life is not quite as simple as theirs, and then they are intolerant if you need some time out to deal with the diabetes.

My son is dyspraxic and aspergic and grumbles like mad about the fact that sometimes an invisible disability is harder to live with than a visible one, because people won't acknowledge you could be disabled in any way if you look 'normal'. Hey, but... 'always look on the bright side of life'...

Sorry, off at a tangent a bit there. Off to bed now, got to be at work early and my son who helps is off on a camp for the weekend. Eeek! Are there extra hours in a Friday that I can borrow from somewhere else?

Night night.