For Migraine Sufferers

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You might find this interview with Dr Angela Stanton helpful. Apparently many people are having success following her protocol.

Reactions: Safi

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Thank you @Indy51, A fascinating talk from an expert and sufferer of migraine, with some unique insights.
A must watch I would think for all sufferers and doctors too!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Will be interested to watch later - train WiFi not up to it! My own chronic migraines have vanished since following a ketogenic diet.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
In my early years, I suffered with quite a lot of migraine.
Since diagnosis and avoiding carbs, I have only had one, but it was a best!

Good read @Indy51

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Such a shame about the sound/sync. I rely heavily on good sound quality and can lip read if the person's face is clear and the sync is adequate. I tried with this interview for five minutes, does the glitch disappear after a while?

Reactions: kitedoc

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I didn't actually watch the video, just listened while doing other stuff. You can probably find an audio only version at the website for Biohackers Lab.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I didn't actually watch the video, just listened while doing other stuff. You can probably find an audio only version at the website for Biohackers Lab.

Thanks Indy.

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for that @Indy51

@Guzzler - unfortunately the sound really doesn't improve much but I persevered & got some pretty interesting (to me anyway!) take aways:

- People who suffer migraines tend to be genetically pre-diabetic. It seems we can be quite insulin resistant without actually having high insulin though that can come later. This spoke to me as I've never had the other signs of high insulin levels. More on that here https://www.hormonesmatter.com/migraine-metabolic-disease/

- Electrolyte balance is vital so if you're going to have coffee or chocolate or avocado which are high in potassium you should also have salt. I got a tip a few weeks ago on another forum - when you get the first signs of a migraine dissolve a pinch of salt under the tongue & chase it with a glass of water. Worked for me the first time but not the second time. According to Dr Stanton if the salt trick doesn't work then it may be potassium for which she recommends eating something rich in potassium rather than supplementing. If that doesn't work (this is getting to be a full time job but I'll try it!) then you need sodium, potassium and water. She recommends a salted burger patty with cheese and a large glass of water. I expect a well seasoned avocado will do the same job as the burger but the burger could be nifty if you're out of the house when a migraine strikes.

- People who suffer migraines tend to have lower blood pressure so if you wake up with a migraine then salt in coffee should help raise blood pressure & mitigate symptoms.

All in all I found the podcast helpful for possible remedies but the article was pure gold. I may buy her book :)

EDIT to tag in @Lamont D - the article I linked also mentions RH & migraine.

Last edited:
M

Moggely

I hope that's wrong @Safi about being pre diabetic i mean, my daughter suffers quite a bit with migraines. Interesting . Since i was diagnosed and my mother was diagnosed late in life as well and an aunt with type2. Lets hope she's lucky.

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I hope that's wrong @Safi about being pre diabetic i mean, my daughter suffers quite a bit with migraines. Interesting . Since i was diagnosed and my mother was diagnosed late in life as well and an aunt with type2. Lets hope she's lucky.

Forewarned is forearmed @Moggely :) I'd have loved to have known this info years ago as I could have changed to a low carb sooner. Has your daughter tried low carb for migraines? Lots of anecdotes around that suggest it's brilliant.

M

Moggely

Forewarned is forearmed @Moggely :) I'd have loved to have known this info years ago as I could have changed to a low carb sooner. Has your daughter tried low carb for migraines? Lots of anecdotes around that suggest it's brilliant.
@Safi she is 38 years old now and has had terrible eating habits all her life. She's often low in Potassium, never eats breakfast though probably not such a bad thing. No i don't even think she would listen if i mention LC. She suffers a lot with depression and that means she doesn't eat well at all. Personally i think the depression is of a serious nature and needs attention but she's in denial so nothing one can do really except to be there.

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Safi she is 38 years old now and has had terrible eating habits all her life. She's often low in Potassium, never eats breakfast though probably not such a bad thing. No i don't even think she would listen if i mention LC. She suffers a lot with depression and that means she doesn't eat well at all. Personally i think the depression is of a serious nature and needs attention but she's in denial so nothing one can do really except to be there.

Bummer. It's tough when you know someone who could benefit from LCHF but aren't keen to try it.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You might find this interview with Dr Angela Stanton helpful. Apparently many people are having success following her protocol.

Due to the sound I didn't get far with this, but I got enough from her website to order the book. I've been suffering with migraines my entire life, and have had to kick a triptan habit twice, (three months of sheer hell) because I just took too much over a long period of time. I'm on various meds for it but I'm still suffering more than is deemed "normal". Looking forward to learning more and adapting my keto diet to fit with migraine-treatment. Thank you!

Reactions: Serena51

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Due to the sound I didn't get far with this, but I got enough from her website to order the book. I've been suffering with migraines my entire life, and have had to kick a triptan habit twice, (three months of sheer hell) because I just took too much over a long period of time. I'm on various meds for it but I'm still suffering more than is deemed "normal". Looking forward to learning more and adapting my keto diet to fit with migraine-treatment. Thank you!

@JoKalsbeek - empathising with you here. I also had to kick Triptan habits a few times, including some pretty unpleasant in-patient IV drug therapies to try and resolve things. It’s probably the biggest transformation of my Keto journey so far to have left all of that behind (it’s now more than a year since my last one and I was treating 6-8 a month prior to diagnosis). Very happy to be PMed if you want to chat in more detail - it’s a really miserable thing to have to deal with.

Reactions: Moggely

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Came across this video from Chris Masterjohn re: temporary histamine intolerance during menstrual cycle causing migraines

I'm a type2 diabetic.. my wife has suffered from migraines for over 20years.. l was reading all sorts over the internet about how to reduce my sugar for my blood levels etc when l came across a statement that put 2+2 together.. basically you need sugar to survive and your brain needs sugar to function but what l didn't know is that the brain can store sugar in times of emergency.. like if l went into a diabetic coma the brain will use its reserves to survive.
Not the I interesting bit.. if these stored sugar levels get too high they can cause migraines.. before all this l went on a low carb diet to get my A1 level down which worked.. l asked my wife have you ever gone two weeks never having a migraine.. simple reply from her was never.. after reading about sugar l asked her to trial the low carb diet for 2 weeks.. no sugar in tea of coffee.. now uses honey.. no biscuits or chocolate which she loves etc etc.. after 1 week she was totally astonished that she didn't have any migraines.. now one month on shes a different lady.. l can only put it down to cutting her carbs and sugar levels down ... l would highly recommend anyone who suffers from migraines to give it a try.. might not work for everyone but it is worth ago. This is 100% true..

Reactions: SimonCrox

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People telling me how to control my diabetes. My health. Isms. People walking their dogs off leads in illegal areas. Meat that bleeds. Late buses.
Interesting reading this thread. Personally, my migraine disorder is inherited and so I went the medical route. Topiramate keeps mine in check but interesting thoughts.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal - another video for our migraine collection.

Migraine Relief, Ketosis & Insulin Resistance w/ Elena Gross, PhD: