What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

pianoman

Well I am still puzzled by the obvious contradiction between what you say is safe and what you say you are doing. Stating that you have proof "you can live 30-40 years with A1'c even 7-8 or a little higher and have no complications" sounds like a long-term aim to me... and yet you choose to adjust your diet, lifestyle and medication so as to minimise the risk? What risk? Complications? Do you see my confusion?

NewdestinyX

pianoman said:
Well I am still puzzled by the obvious contradiction between what you say is safe and what you say you are doing. Stating that you have proof "you can live 30-40 years with A1'c even 7-8 or a little higher and have no complications" sounds like a long-term aim to me... and yet you choose to adjust your diet, lifestyle and medication so as to minimise the risk? What risk? Complications? Do you see my confusion?
No. Sorry I don't. Again, welcome to the forum! :D

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
NewdestinyX said:
cugila said
"I see you're from the States newdestinyx.......can I ask do you agree with the ADA guidelines and have you seen the NICE (UK) & SIGN (Scotland) guidelines. I wonder how much they all differ, if at all ?
Great question! But I tend to really like 'focussed' threads on a forum and if we start a comparative analysis here -- it could really hijack the thread. Let me start a thread with your question, Cugila, and not answer here. And yes I've seen the NICE standards..

Blimey ND ! I asked you a simple question - why do you feel the need to start a new thread ? Many threads start off and often other subjects are raised or comments made, questions asked etc. We are going to end up with an awful lot of unnecessary additional threads if you can't answer a point made by someone !

As for thread hijacking - there are a team of Mods and the Administrator here who look after that sort of thing. If they feel its going off topic because members post something about chickens or famous film stars I am sure they will sort it out, members here don't usually have to protect a thread from such things. In any case a thread is not personal property as its an open forum for all to post what they consider to be valid points.

Going back to your new thread about the guidelines you will find if you use the search facility here there have been many such discussions about guidelines, mainly the UK NICE guidelines and sometimes the SIGN (Scotland) guidelines which are more relevant to a UK based forum where the members are predominantly based. I don't really care about what the ADA recommend as it isn't what myself or the majority of the members here go by. You could have added your comment here or just added it to an existing thread........

Anyway as you have already started a new thread I suppose we will have to live with it. :roll:

Reactions: Lady lou lou

friar tuck

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It seems to have slipped my mind - who was the star of "Chicken Run"

Friar Tuck

Wendywu

Dislikes
Track running. Drunks. Bigots and intolerance in any form. Bullying.
6.0 this morning. And yay, it's Friday. Been a roller-coaster of a week, and will be glad to shut myself away in the Wendycave for the weekend!

LaughingHyena

4.8 for me. I seem to have been all over the place this week. It's been a stress filled week all round though, maybe that is contributing. Or the weather, phase of the moon, some days I end up wondering if there is anything that doesn't affect my levels.

Glad non of my neighbours have a cockerel, we've finally managed to get the kids to stay in bed past 5am, it's bliss.

frenchkittie

Weird, my waking numbers have been in the 3.5 to 4 range all week. This is a bit lower than normal for me, as I would usually be in the 5s, but I'm starting to understand the pattern, I think.

I've been receiving chemotherapy for the last 4 months. One of the side effects is that my white blood cells become severely depleted about 12 days after each chemo session, for around a week. The most thoroughly "bashed" of these blood cells are my lymphocytes (which control the immune system) and these fall to almost zero.

I am still in the diabetes honeymoon period (just about) so I wonder if my low white blood cell count after chemo could mean that my immune system is less able to attack the islet cells in my pancreas? This would explain my low numbers, as my pancreas would have had time to recover slightly, and might be experiencing a kind of mini-honeymoon all of its own.

Hmm... chemo as a treatment for T1, it may work, but I wouldn't recommend it :|

Sue o2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Morning, 5.5 this morning, happy friday everyone :D
Sue

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi there, 6.9 this morning not good for me :( I ate 250g raspberries with cream last night so perhaps it was that... It was lovely though.

clearviews

Dislikes
Arrogance, sarcasm and liars
I didn't take my BG this morning until about 10.30am but didn't have a real breakfast as such, just three cups of white tea and took our dog and new puppy for vaccinations. At this point it was 5.8.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Not a good start to the day, 3.8 on waking so will monitor over the next few days to see if my basal wants adjusting.

Nigel

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hiya, mine taken 8.30am was 9.8 usual high no suprise there! Anna.x :)

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
friar tuck said:
Angie
Thanks for that. But I am taking an extra one in the morning, and unfortunately my morning tests are similar to my post meal tests. Are you on anything to replace the glic?

Friar Tuck

Sorry FT just seen your question (forgot I'd written in here).
Nothing to replace the Glic. I was put on them to help bring me down from 25 at diagnosis. Once I got in normal figures they were too much-had to eat all the time to stay above 4.
Just on 2 regular Metformin a day now and watching my carbs. I do like the 85 year diabetic (or whatever he was) said the other day-eat to keep the machine running. So it depends what work I am doing how many I eat.
Regards
Angie

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
5.3 at 09:00. A late start because I had a disturbed night - I was awake before the cockerel this morning!

Viv 8)

NewdestinyX

cugila said:
Going back to your new thread about the guidelines you will find if you use the search facility here there have been many such discussions about guidelines, mainly the UK NICE guidelines and sometimes the SIGN (Scotland) guidelines which are more relevant to a UK based forum where the members are predominantly based. I don't really care about what the ADA recommend
And yet you asked me precisely that - what I thought about the guidelines. I'm confused now. To answer that simple question for you, Cuglia - I think they're fine for when you're starting. And then I chose to get a little tighter control later; more long the lines of the IDF. Hope that answers your question. Wasn't trying to evade anything just keep us on target here. People change their views over time that's why i don't like to read 'old threads' on a topic. I like the newest 'opinions' possible - even of the same folks.

My reading today was 5.8

Gratope

Dislikes
Snobs, PC brigade ( Stupid rules and regs )
5.3 This morn at 8-30am. I'm happy with that. Getting more used to it now.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
NewdestinyX said:
cugila said:
Going back to your new thread about the guidelines you will find if you use the search facility here there have been many such discussions about guidelines, mainly the UK NICE guidelines and sometimes the SIGN (Scotland) guidelines which are more relevant to a UK based forum where the members are predominantly based. I don't really care about what the ADA recommend
And yet you asked me precisely that - what I thought about the guidelines. I'm confused now. To answer that simple question for you, Cuglia - I think they're fine for when you're starting. And then I chose to get a little tighter control later; more long the lines of the IDF. Hope that answers your question. Wasn't trying to evade anything just keep us on target here. People change their views over time that's why i don't like to read 'old threads' on a topic. I like the newest 'opinions' possible - even of the same folks.

My reading today was 5.8

Precisely....why on earth you thought it needed a new thread for a simple question about what you, as a US Citizen thought of the differing guidelines was all I asked. A few lines as here would have sufficed.

I too think that the UK NICE guidelines are fine for people to get some sort of 'benchmark' when diagnosed. What they do afterwards is also fine by me. That is their choice.

In the 'Basic Advice for Newbies' posted here it is made clear that is what is a way to get better BG numbers and possibly avoid medications, such as Insulin and Oral meds. Not a massive jump from loads of carbs but a reduction or avoidance of those that impact that persons BG levels adversely. Some try to get better numbers using diet only at first, some struggle to keep within them but everybody does their best........guidelines are not 'commandments' and can be varied as much or as little as people want.

I still fail to see your fixation for fasting numbers.......do you ever test after your meals ? Just curious, please don't start another thread........ :roll:

NewdestinyX

cugila said:
Why on earth you thought it needed a new thread for a simple question about what you, as a US Citizen thought of the differing guidelines was all I asked. A few lines as here would have sufficed.
It needed a new thread because it 'wasn't' a simple question with a two line answer. The answer would have invited debate. As the original thread starter I don't want to do that in this thread.

I too think that the UK NICE guidelines are fine for people to get some sort of 'benchmark' when diagnosed. What they do afterwards is also fine by me. That is their choice.
Yes. We're in 100% agreement there. I really resonate with your signature line: "Everything in moderation". That's one of my main life motto's - especially with regard to controlling D.

I still fail to see your fixation for fasting numbers.......do you ever test after your meals ? Just curious, please don't start another thread........ :roll:
Well - ok - since I'm new here and threads can have more 'rabbit trail leeway', so I'm told, I'm nothing if not a 'team player'.. :) So here goes:
1)I'm not at all fixated on fasting numbers. Yet they're a vitally important number in the calculation of overall D control. They are by no means 'incidental'.
2)Yes. I also test post meal at 2hr - because that number, too, is a vitally important indicator of overall D control.
There ya have it.. Short enough? 8)
If you wish to 'discuss' it further (and I'm game) or want more of an answer, we can do it in a new thread.
Thanks!

pianoman

Why is a Fasting BG a "a vitally important indicator of overall D control"? If I have Dawn Phenomenon such that for an hour or two each day my BG is raised but when looked at overall my Fasting BG is actually my highest BG of the day and over the day my average is just fine... in that case (which is indeed what I have experienced for several years now) how does the Fasting BG help me other than to realise that I (like many with Type 2 D) experience Dawn Phenomenon?

Each BG is a single reading that does not tell me if my BG is rising, falling or steady... the overall picture is what I see as important. Focusing only on Fasting BG -- which too many Doctors seem to do -- can lose that perspective.

Fasting BG also seems to be one of the last indicators that Type 2 is progressing -- as discussed recently by Jenny Ruhl (Blood Sugar 101) in a podcast interview with Jimmy Moore at LLVLC.

We are all different and I share a concern voiced by others here that threads like this can end up being a "competition" and also a frustrating disincentive for some new folks who fail to see as good numbers as others.