Insulin pen coolee

D

Deleted Account

Absolutely agree with Frio. They last well - I have had mine for 15 years.
However, I only "charge" them when I will be outside somewhere especially hot (or in the car on a hot day) which is usually on holiday.
I have never found I need Frio in the UK provided I keeop my insulin out of direct sunlight.

Reactions: Pmerrill

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
As long as you keep your pen on you and you use a pen in less than 25 days why do you need to keep it cool? I live in Australia and at least 3 times a summer it will be 44C or about 110F. Don’t leave anything in the car, but I have never had a problem.

RAPS_od

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have to agree: Frio is the best. It stays cool for up to 48 hours and it's the easiest to carry.

SalRead1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Frio is great. I don't use mine so often because temperatures don't often get up to 30 degrees where I go, but I do find it handy to have something to keep my 2 insulin pens together in something I can easily recognise - saves a lot of tipping stuff out of a handbag!

buckmr2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Exercise
According to Frio wrbsite
"FRÍO keeps in-use insulin and 29 other temperature sensitive medicines cool and safe, within safe temperatures of 18-26°C (64.4-78.8°F) for a minimum of 45 hours, even in a constant environmental temperature of 37.8°C (100°F)."

In my opinion avoid the overpriced Frio.
Notice from their website it says keeps at a safe temperature but it doesn't say it keeps it at an effective temperature. Insulin is best kept and most effective at 2°C-8°C (look at the back of your insulin pen box).
I found in warm temps eg 26°C-28°C it takes longer to work from taking it out of the Frio and/or I have had to inject more insulin as a result than I would have had to with insulin from the fridge.
I took a Frio Duo to Spain where it was sometimes in the 30s after reading "the hype" and found my insulin wasn't working as it should even after following their instructions to the letter prior to use as the Frio doesnt cool the pen anywhere near to 2°C - 8°°C (it just cools to a few degrees below the ambient temperature according to them ) so the insulin takes longer to work if at all.
I had to buy a small thermos flask when in Spain and it worked flawlessly as if you had just removed the insulin from the fridge.
Put the thermos flask in the freezer overnight or fridge. Next day remove it and put your insulin pens in. Pens wont freeze as you're not storing them in the freezer.
Keeps pens much cooler than Frio which even on their own website even says the Frio will only to cool pens a few degrees below ambient temperature.
With the flask it cools far better and is cheaper., your then cool insulin works as it would at home from the fridge.
If ever I'm away from home I store my insulin in the small thermos flask and never have any problems so I know it's going to work as it would at homefrom the fridge

Last edited:

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People telling me how to control my diabetes. My health. Isms. People walking their dogs off leads in illegal areas. Meat that bleeds. Late buses.
If you feel the need to use a product then have at it but I went 18 years with nothing. Mother is t1 and still goes to costa del sol in temps of 40c and doesn't use anything. Found products only made our pens...wet, really. As the Aussies have said, pens work in other places. Hot places. When I was there for 6 weeks I had to take my insulin between base places that didn't always have fridges and it always held up. My pumps insulin could never be chilled once it was in. The stuff holds up more than is reported. But, always do what makes you feel comfortable and is best for you .

Reactions: Dodo