Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
In the health question section of application forms I always declare that I have type 1 diabetes, I don't think it has ever held me back and always elaborate further on my diabetes when I reach the interview stage. Diabetes is more and more common now and most employers will see past your condition (provided it is controlled) and look at what you can contribute to the company and your fellow workers.

Nigel

littlesteve

hELLO EVERYONE
As regards work, dont tell em, coz everytime I have told em, never got job, and when after couple of years at companys, some very large and so called respectable, and informed em, they got rid of me.
As regards the post office my experience was this, there was 7 vacancys, and 28 people went for them, inc. myself, after the test it left 7 of us inc. me they said goodbye to the others, we were sat down at desks to fill out details of uniform sizes, bank acc. details etc after we were told we had the job, and that we would get letter of confirmation within 2 weeks, they then said we would pick 2 at random for medicals!!! I then thort do I tell em and be honest or not decided to tell em, after all the job was only shoving bits of paper thru a hole in the door.
I told em at the time was well controlled insulin diabetic and at time was about 33 and had it since age of 9, since 1968, now nearly 52, he said no problem, have no criminal record etc, never heard a thing for 3 months where they said they decided not to offer me position, I no Doc. reports would have been ok, but try proving anything against them.
I live in the real world, where havent told em ever Iv heard what they have said about diabetics, and seen what they have done to employees who have become insulin dependant, they make life impossible for em, and in todays work climate, if you get nose bleed they dont want you.
So as said DONT TELL EM!!!!! wrong I know, but unless you want to stay on dole for most of working life, keep quiet about it, ITS TERRIBLE BUT ITS THE REAL WORLD, AND A RETIRED CONSULTANT AGREED WITH ME!!!!

martin77

Finding it hard to get back into work.since leaving school in 1995 I've gt full education,hnc in mech engineering also 2 forklift licen.but feel as though being treated unfairly because of honesty of being tp1.have had various jobs in past now35 feel as though age and disability can effect me finding work,also can anyone help in letting me know of types of careers that are out there for diabetics.

Cobra3164

Dislikes
Diabetes
Discrimination with employers does exist and may be widespread more than people think its just disguised as some other excuse by employers. I say this with experience, I have had mental health disorder for some 10 years now they say it is against the law to discriminate but when you announce it the interviewer 9 times out of 10 starts to treat you as a simpleton. I am sure that in some cases diabetes is treated similarly like you are crippled or likely to drop dead in the middle of work. Yes this may seem extreme but it is true and I can understand perfectly why people would lie.

On the other side of the coin having worked as a recruitment officer for some years it is stated on applications that there are consequences for applying mis-truths on giving information. Not only that but if you collapsed having a hypo at work and they do not have that information could cost your life. It is an extremely difficult subject and there are good arguements on both employer and employee sides.

Best regards

Simon aka Cobra3164

glenmoray

Diabetes is not a illness. Its a medical condition which if under control should not cause you any problems with your health.if any company refuses you on the grounds of your diabetes they are discriminating against your condition. If you don't get the job ask them to put it in writing why you were not considered. If they are stupid and put down because of your diabetes affecting your role at the company. You've got them. !

Mully

Driving isn't a problem now,I'm a bus driver and have type 2 along with other drivers at my depot and there's nothing that can be said against you . Think it's the same now for type 1

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Mully said:
Driving isn't a problem now,I'm a bus driver and have type 2 along with other drivers at my depot and there's nothing that can be said against you . Think it's the same now for type 1

If you are type 2 and on certain meds you have to tell DVLA, they have tightened the rules regarding type 2's and driving.

purrple11

Interesting question and I'm sad to see some people have been possibly let down by ignorance.

You absolutley MUST declare that you have diabetes. I have found the question to be along the lines of 'Do you have any medical conditions you feel we should know about?' this is perfect for answering with a simple, 'I have type 1 diabetes which is well controlled and does not affect my ability to work.'

You'd be surprised exactly how many jobs there are out there that Type 1's can't do so you must tell them on an application, in case you're applying for a job you're not aware you can't perform.

I can't say I've ever known of someone rejecting my application upon the grounds of my diabetes, I think so long as you make it clear it does not affect your ability to work, you should be fine.

Also, I recently learnt that certain size companies should be able to provide a sharps bin for you too.

Good luck with your job search.

squeeze321

Dislikes
Hypos
I have had been a type 1 diabetic for the past 30 years and although I have applied for many jobs, I have never encountered any issues of discrimination at an interview regarding my health and diabetes. Even at the job interview I attended yesterday, the interviewers told me that there are a few people who work there with diabetes and that the fridge is always full of insulin! Hahahah :lol:

People with conditions which could affect their work are required to declare it to a prospective employer. Certainly, as a diabetic I always feel safer making my employers aware of my condition.

I have heard that if a person was to have a hypo at work, without previously declaring their diabetes, their employer can instantly dismiss them.