dehydration options???????

paul84

hi all , i a type 2 diabetic and my current treatment is insulin , i have other health problems that lead me to be dehydrated very easily ,thing is the diorylyte saches i take contain loads of glucose and play hell with m b.m,s , i was just wondering if anybody have any suggestions on other re-hydration tablets or sachets that are availaible to diabetics? my g.p and diabetic nurses are any good to be honest , hope somebody has some suggestions, thanks paul

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi paul

A quick search for "SUgar Free Dioralyte" seems to give plenty of options.
Maybe nip in to your local pharmacy and ask the pharmacist.

Obviously take a careful look at the label, sometimes things labeled sugar free are still loaded with fructose or lactose so they do have a carb load to consider.

Of course it is not really a true rehydration treatment without the sugar as far as I understand it, but then I'm no medical expert.

Good luck and share what you find, rehydration that would not require insulin to counter the sugar would be useful info.

/A

Wendywu

Dislikes
Track running. Drunks. Bigots and intolerance in any form. Bullying.
I take part in endurance rowing and had the same problem with dehydration and bg levels. Now we mix litres of our own drink for me. We use a ratio of 25% pure OJ, 75% natural spring water (bottled water ....) and a pinch of organic natural sea salt. Gotta be natural sea salt or you don't get the minerals. We settled on the 25% OJ by trial and test until we got the level right.

Works very well for me - I drop about 4mmols of bg per half hour rowing and I can row for about five hours and keep my levels up with the drink plus a banana or two.

The good thing is that it's a very bland flavour (well, no flavour at all really) and I can drink it without getting fed up with it. The salt isn't enough to taste.

Edited to add: I did discuss the drink with my gp who is perfectly happy that it will do the required job :)

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not sure if these are the type of things you are looking for - google - High 5 Zero Electrolyte Drink (sorry can't post a link as it is a selling site)- My hubby used these when he was ill for a while - they do taste quite nice I have to say! - they are little tablets you drop into water or a drink of your choice