Weight training

sugarlips

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all,

I've been on a LCHF diet for a while and thoroughly enjoying it. I thought I'd go to the next step and start weight training. May I add very realistic weight training for a man of 51. My rugby days are a distant memory. However I've noticed my sugars go up after weight training. Is this normal.
I go from approximately 5.5 to early 7's. I'll watch today how long they stay up

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi all,

I've been on a LCHF diet for a while and thoroughly enjoying it. I thought I'd go to the next step and start weight training. May I add very realistic weight training for a man of 51. My rugby days are a distant memory. However I've noticed my sugars go up after weight training. Is this normal.
I go from approximately 5.5 to early 7's. I'll watch today how long they stay up

Strenuous exercise will make your liver release glucose to aid recovery and this is a normal reaction. Read more here....
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-sport-and-blood-sugar.html

The problem for us of course is that we cannot process the glucose - at least not easily. So keep an eye on your levels but keep going!

sugarlips

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Brendan_M

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I recently started working out again and also found that my blood sugars rose during weight lifting. But, for me anyways, it seems that as my body has gotten used to the routine my bs has stopped spiking

sugarlips

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I recently started working out again and also found that my blood sugars rose during weight lifting. But, for me anyways, it seems that as my body has gotten used to the routine my bs has stopped spiking
Thanks Brendan, my sugars still go up but are back within 2 hours, about the time it takes to get my breath back

ScotyPeck

Hello

Am type 2 and on 2 Metformin tablets a day, I've been training weights and cardio, ive heard about fasting for about 16hrs then eating can you train on a empty stomach being type 2, am not on insulin, my doctor says I dont need testing strips as am not on insulin any information would be great as this is all new to me now

Scott

Brendan_M

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello

Am type 2 and on 2 Metformin tablets a day, I've been training weights and cardio, ive heard about fasting for about 16hrs then eating can you train on a empty stomach being type 2, am not on insulin, my doctor says I dont need testing strips as am not on insulin any information would be great as this is all new to me now

Scott

I would definitely push for test strips. Always good to know what your blood sugar is doing before/after eating certain foods/exercising.. especially if you're new to this. It will help you avoid foods that cause spikes. For me even a handful of blueberries caused a spike, but raspberries had little effect. If your bg is high half the time and low the other half your A1C may look fine but its not ideal. I would think you're fine to exercise on an empty stomach but it will be hard for you to know without checking your blood sugar. I would have least be having a source of protein within 2 hours of weight training

ScotyPeck

I would definitely push for test strips. Always good to know what your blood sugar is doing before/after eating certain foods/exercising.. especially if you're new to this. It will help you avoid foods that cause spikes. For me even a handful of blueberries caused a spike, but raspberries had little effect. If your bg is high half the time and low the other half your A1C may look fine but its not ideal. I would think you're fine to exercise on an empty stomach but it will be hard for you to know without checking your blood sugar. I would have least be having a source of protein within 2 hours of weight training
Thank you I'll push for them as today, I tried to train after a 12hr night shift on empty stomach and was shaking badly had to stop and go home to eat.