Recently DKA- scared about going abroad!

Lilllaura87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm getting married in 4 months and fiancee wants to go to morocco.. I was excited about this until I has a spell 4 weeks ago where I went into major DKA,

I'm now considering cancelling honeymoon as dont want this to happen in the uk let alone another country! Obviously DKA is brought on by being ill, I've quite sensitive to food, and heard the heat can make you ill too.. I know I mite sound stupid but do you think it's a good idea to maybe postpone morocco for a year or so? :(

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
Hi,

Firstly congrats :)

Secondly, it'd be a shame if you couldn't go on a lovely honeymoon..

How are you levels now? was your recent DKA a one off or are you having recurring DKA?

I don't think it's stupid at all, going abroad can be a challenge, with heat and different foods, different routine.

The heat will usually make you more sensitive to insulin, so you would have to adjust a little over the first few days until you get used to how your body reacts to a climate change.

If your DKA was a one off and you have good levels, i don't see why you should cancel. If you do decide to go make sure you research what medical care is available near where your staying, pharmacies, emegency Doc appointments and local hospitals.

Also make sure you have good insurance, make sure the insurers cover you for EVERYTHING, some insurers will cover you despite you having diabetes, but if something diabetes related happens, it's a different story, paying a little extra to peace of mind is a little sacrifice in my eyes, there have been some great threads on this so if you search the site there will be some suggestions on good places to look.

If your sensitive to food you can take some things of your own, my friend once took heinz baked beans so she could have beans on toast if she didnt like anything (very picky eater!)

If your DKA is recurring and aren't getting particularly good levels, then maybe it would be a good idea to cancel and re-arrange, you want to enjoy your honeymoon and have a good time, especially in a place like morocco!

Maybe you could have a hotel weekend away in the UK somewhere, there are lovely hotels in lovely quiet pretty areas all over the UK. Spend quality time with eachother as newly weds and have an abroad honeymoon later on when you are more confident in going abroad.

Whatever you decide to do i have you have a lovely wedding and a nice honeymoon :)

Gappy

Dislikes
hypocrisy, prejudice and the corrupt legal system (never got compensation I deserved from an accident)
I'm type 2 and largely ignorant of many complications, but I say you can do enough in 4 months to make sure you are confident enough for the honeymoon. It'd be a real big shame to miss out on the dream honeymoon and every anniversary remember having to compromise for the illness. As I say I'm largely ignorant I've seen enough posts of Ebony's (above) to know she knows what she's talkng about, but on a positive thinking vibe I'm sure you can change things in 4 months to feel confident and relaxed to enjoy whatever you decide is your dream honeymoon

Lilllaura87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi ebony/gappy I've only been in DKA once, and it's scared the life out of me lol, in 13 years my levels have been ok, I just happened to inject 24 units of my nova rapid instead of my lantus :S and didn't twig until 24 hrs later when I was lying in a hospital bed! I think more than anything it is confidence, I've never let diabeties stop me doing anything before, BUT now its just ruling my life. Sorry I'm rambling now :)

dectjoh

Hi. Forgive me, I'm new to all of this, but your last post has confused me. I thought DKA happened as a result of prolonged high BG. A large dose of Novorapid would surely result in a deep hypo? Help! I thought I was beginning to get the hang of things....
Tracy

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
dectjoh said:
Hi. Forgive me, I'm new to all of this, but your last post has confused me. I thought DKA happened as a result of prolonged high BG. A large dose of Novorapid would surely result in a deep hypo? Help! I thought I was beginning to get the hang of things....
Tracy

It would indeed and Lillaura87 would have had to take fast acting glucose immediately to correct things. Going 24 hours without any basal insulin on board would certainly send bg skywards and result in DKA if left untreated.

Lillaura, as you say your control has been OK over the last 13 years I would not let one mishap (forgetting basal dose) ruin your wedding plans, these things happen and best to let them go but learn from the experience, if you want any advice about travelling abroad then contact DUK who will be more than happy to help.

Nigel

Lilllaura87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Tracy! To be honest I thought exactly the same as you did :) how long have you been diagnosed?

Nigel, thanks for your words of advise :) have you ever had DKA before?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Lilllaura87 said:
Nigel, thanks for your words of advise :) have you ever had DKA before?

No I haven't and don't really want too as it sounds awful! :(

Nigel

dectjoh

Hi Lilllaura87,
I've been diagnosed 6 months now. Apparently I'm odd - perfectly healthy forty year old develops type 1 diabetes for no apparent reason. Now that's what I call bad luck! Still taking each day as it comes - thought that at some point I'd have it all worked out. Just starting to realise that I'll be taking each day as it comes for the rest of my life and that I can't possibly get it 'all worked out'. Bit depressing really. Sorry!
Tracy

Lilllaura87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Haha well that's understandable! In a strange way it's done me a favour, really kicked my **** and Made me try and sort myself out :)

Lilllaura87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Tracy, that does sound like bad luck! I was 12/13 when I found out, apparently having the flu quite bad knocked my pancreas out! Give it time to work out, it's taken me until now to really try and sort myself out! if you need any advise ask these people on here, their amazing and have pulled me through my darkest time, somone will always put a smile on your face :) x

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
Don't start giving in to diabetes. Now you have been through DKA you will actually be better prepared if you are ill again to deal with your levels and ketone management. I have seen my son through some pretty bad illnesses and have managed to avoid hospital visits. Take ketone strips with you, hypo treatments (liquid and edible of many different sorts), lots of spares in your kit and don't drink the water or eat uncooked foods in a foreign country. Test often (even every couple of hours during the day and at least once at night) and make diabetes do what you want.