Accidental double dose of Metformin

CeeCee59

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning - I had my head in the clouds this morning and accidentally took my Metformin twice - 2 tablets (total 4) plus my 300 mg dose of Invokana. Should I be concerned? I am at work and don't have my meter with me to test (stupid I know).

Johnjoe13

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would contact you doctor or pharmacist for advice as soon as you can but I suppose it depends what strength the metformin is and if combined with the other medication is likely to do you any harm.

Reactions: Freema

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
how much mg is there in those metformin pills ?

if it all in all does not exceed 2000mg , I think you after you have asked a doctor, that you can just eat very much carbs before you sleep, so you are sure not to be too low when you sleep, but metformin does only lower ones blood glucose a bit so I don´t think it is very dangerous if it is only for one day... worse would be overdosing for a longer period... but if you have taken more than 2000-2500 mg I think it can be very important to ask for advice.. as that is the maximum dosis for a day ...

Last edited:

psignathus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
NICE guidelines in reference to nutrition
I wouldn't worry as metformin doesn't actually lower blood sugar that much. as long as your kidneys and liver are in reasonable nick I wouldn't worry.

CeeCee59

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the replies. Each tablet is 500 mg and I usually take two in the morning and two at night for a total of 2000 mg. I won't take my evening dose and not feel too guilty if I eat more carbs this evening.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
It should be no problem at all as long as you skip your evening dose. It should have little impact on blood sugar as it does not affect insulin levels.

Reactions: 1spuds

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Bernadette medrano you are responding to a thread that’s over 2 years old - can I move your post into a new thread ? Based on what you've said and my limited knowledge of metformin I doubt there’s an issue but if in doubt seek advice from the NHS line 111.

Traceymac23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Moaner
Good morning - I had my head in the clouds this morning and accidentally took my Metformin twice - 2 tablets (total 4) plus my 300 mg dose of Invokana. Should I be concerned? I am at work and don't have my meter with me to test (stupid I know).

you should be fine......I've done that before and just took half of the next 2 doses at their allotted time......theoretically gradually sliding back into correct lower metformin level in my system

roodles

Hi, I accidently took my two metformin tabs this morning instead of one - rather absent mindedly. That was about an hour and a half ago and feel nauseous and have had to rush to the loo. I presume i will be ok if i rest for a bit and will take something sugary should i feel worse. I guess i won't take another tablet today. I phoned my DN and am waiting for her to phone me back.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I accidently took my two metformin tabs this morning instead of one - rather absent mindedly. That was about an hour and a half ago and feel nauseous and have had to rush to the loo. I presume i will be ok if i rest for a bit and will take something sugary should i feel worse. I guess i won't take another tablet today. I phoned my DN and am waiting for her to phone me back.
You should be okay. Gastro-intestinal issues are a common side effect with metformin, so it's no surprise you have to stay near the loo. Don't worry about hypo's, as metformin doesn't cause those. (If it'd been gliclazide or similar, then you would need to be weary).

Do you have a meter? They're quite invaluable you know.
Hope you'll feel better soon!
Jo