Tablets (oral)
Monday = Chicken hotpot
Tuesday = Fish pie
Wednesday = Shepherds pie
Thursday = Steak & Kidney pie mixed veg boild potatoes and gravy
Friday = 3 Chicken breasts 2 jacket potato tim of low sugar beans
This is what I have every week, not always in that order
Each meal is washed down with a glass of orange squash
Each meal is home made exept for the steak & kidney pie which comes out of a tin.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Monday = Chicken hotpot
Tuesday = Fish pie
Each meal is home made exept for the steak & kidney pie which comes out of a tin.

If I ate what you eat my readings would also be double figures. Instead they are mostly 6’s some 5’s after eating.

Hot pot - I’m assuming this includes potato. Try omitting this replacing it with turnip or even swede as both are lower than potato.

Fish pie. And shepherds pie I’m assuming lots of mash potato in these too. Again drop the potato, and just have the bottom half and other green veg with it. Cauliflower mash is much better than it sounds especially with butter,pepper and cheese mixed in with it

Steak and kidney pie. Pastry is made with flour (grains). The steak and kidney filling is probably all ok though. Could you replace t.he pie with just the meat? Again the potato is an issue.

Jacket potatoes , noticing a theme here?

Beans - low sugar or not there’s still a fair few carbs

Orange squash may have either sweetener that spikes you , some do! Or sugar. Water is better.

Here are some links to help you figure out some alternatives etc.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog/jokalsbeek.401801/ for info including low carb made simple

And https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/success-stories-and-testimonials.43/ to show it really works and for motivation

and https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/what-have-you-eaten-today.75781/ for food ideas

also https://www.dietdoctor.com/ for more food ideas and general info of carb content of foods. Lots of other websites for recipes out there too. Just use the term low carb or keto with whatever you fancy.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Monday = Chicken hotpot
Tuesday = Fish pie

With respect this is a very carbohydrate heavy diet, and suggests why cutting out the trifle had a "trifling" effect.

You eat a lot of pies, which involves a lot of pastry, which is carbohydrate (noting that Shepherd's Pie usually has mash on top and fish pie may as well).
You eat quite a few potatoes - also carbohydrate.
Orange squash (unless sugar free) is also a major source of sugars.

Hmmm...low sugar beans.....are these "No added sugar" beans?
https://www.heinz.co.uk/en/products/beanz/ranges/beanz/heinz-baked-beanz
Normal is 12.5 grams of carbohydrate per 100 grams.
https://www.heinz.co.uk/products/beanz/ranges/healthy-beans/no-added-sugar-beanz
No added sugar is 9.5 grams of carbohydrate per 100 grams.

If, however, you are eating a full 415 gram tin of beans then you are likely to be eating around 39.2 grams of carbohydrate just from that, as opposed to 51.8 grams of the "normal" beans.
I am a fan of baked beans but would never eat more than half a tin at a time.

So I think that there is scope to reduce the amount of carbohydrate by altering the way you serve your protein. :)

ardvark

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Quite a few comments there.
If I cut out potato then there has to be a replacement.
Cauliflower mash was suggested, the jury is still out on that.
Any suggestions?

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Quite a few comments there.
If I cut out potato then there has to be a replacement.
Cauliflower mash was suggested, the jury is still out on that.
Any suggestions?

Most of us would substitute in the beginning but we all soon realised that there’s no need. Just eat the protein, fat and vegetable bit in a slightly bigger portion. No replacement is necessary.
Put grated cheese on your food, butter on your vegetables and have more veg.

ardvark

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The problem I have is to try and keep both Sugar and Fat camps happy. So to much cheese and some meats are a no no

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
The problem I have is to try and keep both Sugar and Fat camps happy. So to much cheese and some meats are a no no

Sorry to be blunt, but you aren't keeping the sugar camp happy with your current food choices. You are eating all the wrong things, but I think you already know this.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think you now need to do some research about fat. Even main stream medical experts are now agreeing it’s not the devil it’s been portrayed to be and has little to do with cholesterol levels or making you fat. There are lots of threads on here with lots of links to lots of evidence supporting my claim.

Too much unused energy makes you overweight. As a diabetic, carbs don’t get dealt with properly, therefore don’t get used for energy, therefore it’s them that make you fat, cause inflammation and damage your arteries and nerves. Your fat digestion, without other health conditions considered, should be just fine and keep you full with lots of energy. You’ll likely eat less as it keeps you far fuller than carbs do and it doesn’t create cravings either. Most of us find our cholesterol levels improve and weight reaches far healthier levels eating lower carb and higher fats.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.

The only fat you must avoid is vegetable oils also known as seed oils. These are pro inflammatory and most processed foods (such as your tinned pie) contain vegetable oil.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Most of us would substitute in the beginning but we all soon realised that there’s no need. Just eat the protein, fat and vegetable bit in a slightly bigger portion. No replacement is necessary.
Put grated cheese on your food, butter on your vegetables and have more veg.
Totally agree. More of the rest. I rarely do substitutes now. Just have to get used to seeing your plate look different. It’s only convention that insists there must be spuds on there!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Most pastry recipes are approx half the fat to flour.
So 75g of pastry (not a big portion) is 50g flour and 25g of fat.
That makes it both a high carb and a high fat food.
Sorry.

There is a reason why pastry is so yummy. It is in the same ratio of carbs and fat that chocolate, cake, chips and buttery toast also occupy... that irrisistably moreish combo that = junk food, weight gain and leads to insulin resistance for us t2s