Tips to lower hba1c?

_becs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi,

Has anyone got any tips to help lower hba1c?
I seem to get told to lower it but not advised how other than try to bolus 15 mins before eating and extending the bolus.
Found it more difficult since starting creon and just changed to Omnipod pump from Animas.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, @_becs , the main things I've found useful for safely lowering a1c are getting cgm and reading Sugar Surfing by Stephen Ponder, it's on kindle.

Getting cgm will obviously depend on scripting policy in your area, and, if not available, will depend on your finances. Libre sensors are about £100 per month, dexcom can work out the same or cheaper as there are simple ways of restarting them after their "official" 10 day life.

I use libre, free on script, with a MiaoMiao transmitter (one-off cost of £160) on top, sending to the android app xDrip+ (free).

Because I'm getting readings every 5 mins on my phone, it means I can make much more sensible decisions about when to tweak and nudge things a bit to stay in range, and other things like figuring out pre-bolus timings for different types of meals; corrective bolus if it looks like the meal one was too low; basal checking; setting hyper alerts so I can pin a developing high with a few units long before it gets too messy.

Sugar Surfing discusses all those techniques in detail, well worth a read.

The key to getting a safely lower a1c is basically just not to go above 10 too much: this is a lot easier with cgm, but still do-able on strips. If I see about an hour or two after a meal that it's racing skyward, I'm not slow to fire in another unit or two to pin that before it even gets to 8.

Reactions: ImSpiritus

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @_becs Just checking if you intentionally meant to post this in the Type 3c area of the forum ? If not I can move it to the type 1 area for you - just let me know as it will gain greater visibility amongst other type 1's there ?

ImSpiritus

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @_becs

I agree with @Scott-C that sugar surfing is an alternative method. Whilst it is not for everyone and some DSN's frown upon it especially if you MDI. But I proved them that sugar surfing gives results as I was only diagnosed in Feb with a A1c of 121 and here we are in August and after enjoying cake, pizza, the social drink and in general food my A1c is 46.

Like I said, its not for everyone and it is achievable. Keep going and stick with it as I am sure you will find a plan suitable for you as we are all individual when it comes to diabetes.

Next step for me is the pump which due to my control have been approved.

Good luck.

Mad76

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I was diagnosed in april with hbac of 103 ! Just been tested and its 46 !!
I pretty much put it down to using the libre. I self fund so it's expensive but I find it invaluable. Helps me track levels all day and also read think like a pancreas. That was recommended by people on here. I felt really informed about the disease.

Good luck

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Hi, @_becs , the main things I've found useful for safely lowering a1c are getting cgm and reading Sugar Surfing by Stephen Ponder, it's on kindle.

Getting cgm will obviously depend on scripting policy in your area, and, if not available, will depend on your finances. Libre sensors are about £100 per month, dexcom can work out the same or cheaper as there are simple ways of restarting them after their "official" 10 day life.

I use libre, free on script, with a MiaoMiao transmitter (one-off cost of £160) on top, sending to the android app xDrip+ (free).

Because I'm getting readings every 5 mins on my phone, it means I can make much more sensible decisions about when to tweak and nudge things a bit to stay in range, and other things like figuring out pre-bolus timings for different types of meals; corrective bolus if it looks like the meal one was too low; basal checking; setting hyper alerts so I can pin a developing high with a few units long before it gets too messy.

Sugar Surfing discusses all those techniques in detail, well worth a read.

The key to getting a safely lower a1c is basically just not to go above 10 too much: this is a lot easier with cgm, but still do-able on strips. If I see about an hour or two after a meal that it's racing skyward, I'm not slow to fire in another unit or two to pin that before it even gets to 8.
I hadn't come across Ponder's book on Sugar Surfing before. Interestingly enough, that's what I do intuitively with my CGM, as I'm a numbers gal.