What is more important, fasting BG or pre and post meal ones?

charlie000

I know HBA1C is the real one. But what's important out of hospital at home?

How do you conduct a self fasting BG properly? I am currently fasting 20 hours, and when I wake up I check my BG it is at 4.4 - 4.8mmol and the night before it's 4.4mmol - 5mmol.

Cna someone give me som advice please

kyler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Nothing really
I know HBA1C is the real one. But what's important out of hospital at home?

How do you conduct a self fasting BG properly? I am currently fasting 20 hours, and when I wake up I check my BG it is at 4.4 - 4.8mmol and the night before it's 4.4mmol - 5mmol.

Cna someone give me som advice please
I think one can get to obsessed with finger prick results.
Yes by all means keep a check on them but at end of the day it is your HBA1C result which give you a clear picture how you have been doing over last 3 months.
I do random checks about 8 to 10 per week now and aim to keep my level below 8 2 hrs after a meal.
Early days I was on edge of my readings were above this but l have now realised at end of day it's how I feel that counts and my doctor will only use my HBA1C results.
So try to step back and don't worry over little blips we prob all have them if we are diabetic.

Reactions: Shas3
D

Deleted Account

Hi @charlie000 I see you have posted this in the general Diabetes Discusion sub-forum.
I think this may vary depending on the type of diabetes and how it is treated.
For example, with type 1 diabetes, the dawn phenomenon may impact the morning BG and unless the diabetes is treated with a method to vary the basal insulin (e.g. with an insulin pump) there is limited that can be done to reduce this impact.

Is your question directed at type 2?

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@charlie000 From your previous posts you have said you have not been diagnosed as diabetic, but believe you might be pre-diabetic - I don't recall you giving any HbA1c test result which shows this.
The bg readings you have given seem to be in the 4s which would indicate you are not diabetic - though only a HbA1c test would confirm this one way or the other.
Fasting bgs aren't very indicative as they can be affected by dawn phenomenon. The difference between pre and post meal readings are more useful. These are the NICE guidelines for bg readings:

Screenshot 2018-07-30 at 10.58.43.png
Screenshot 2018-07-30 at 10.58.43.png

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Is it possible that you are getting mixed up between a fasting reading (the one you take first thing in the morning after sleeping overnight) and a reading whilst you are fasting (avoiding eating for many hours while awake)?

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@charlie000 you appear to be obsessed with being a diabetic.

None of the readings you post here would indicate that you are, or ever were diabetic.

You are starting a huge number of threads basically asking the same questions over and over, and for some reason appear not to listen to any of the answers given.

Why do you want to be diabetic?

Everybody else on this forum would rather they weren’t.

JAT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I find the reading I take before sleep is the most important. Below 5.0 and I could go hypo so I snack, over that I'm confident there won't be any hypo.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My last HbA1c was 36 but I have never seen a waking BG below low 5's. When I was diagnosed with an HbA1c of 53 my fasting test was 8.0 So it seems likely you are not diabetic at all.

charlie000

@charlie000 you appear to be obsessed with being a diabetic.

None of the readings you post here would indicate that you are, or ever were diabetic.

You are starting a huge number of threads basically asking the same questions over and over, and for some reason appear not to listen to any of the answers given.

Why do you want to be diabetic?

Everybody else on this forum would rather they weren’t.

I’m not obsessed with being a diabetic I’m just learning

charlie000

Is it possible that you are getting mixed up between a fasting reading (the one you take first thing in the morning after sleeping overnight) and a reading whilst you are fasting (avoiding eating for many hours while awake)?

No. I have tried a meal then fasting overnight and its been the same

charlie000

The readings became like this well before I started the 20 hour fasts

charlie000

How soon after leaving hospital and starting your low carb diet did your numbers drop this low?

About 4-5 weeks in total. In the last 2-3 weeks they’ve been hitting 4s during fasts, and after 3 hours of eating

I just tested and my BG is at 4.6mmol.

I am going to get the practice manager on the phone tomorrow.

I am working extremely hard. I’ve never been so motivated.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Remind me ... what was your worst HBA1C?

charlie000

Remind me ... what was your HBA1C?

The Doctor at the hospital said my HBA1C was 105. On my discharge letter it states 105. Written by the same doctor I was told this at the same time.

I’m going to contact my surgery and get them to chase it up as a matter of urgency.

Because I recall now my GP has the same letter, and he didn’t look at the tests from the hospital.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
I'd be asking that question like yesterday as I don't believe that reading at all

D

Deleted member 308541

You don’t believe what sorry? The 105?
Myself I find it strange that while you were in hospital with AFib, and they they came back with a hba1c level of 105 mmol/mol they would have put you on a diabetes medication of some sort.

Did the nursing staff do blood tests to see what you bgl before and after meals were while you were there?

Now you are discharged your fbgl and bgl are no where in the diabetic range from what I have read in your threads / posts.