NO more test strips in Bucks!

benniesmum

Dislikes
My Doc right now
If you didn't fullfil your prescription for test strips before yesterday, and live in Bucks, you are in for a nasty surprise.

I picked up my prescription today and, instead of strips, I got a note saying T2 Diabetics on Metformin only don't need them. I marched to my GP (a Locum at short notice) who told me that GPS throughout Bucks have been instructed that they MUST (his words) abide by the NICE guidelines. These say that a once a year HbA1C is sufficient. I told him that testing my glucose levels at home was a vital part of my control process. He said that NICE disagree. I said how would they know, they don't know me? He eventually admitted that this was about cost saving (aparently (EDIT name of hospital removed) is bleeding money, and they have to make cutbacks). I said in that case, I need to have an HbA1C test at least FOUR times a year, or how will they know if I'm ok? I also said, that NICE must not be worrying about my long term prognosis, and the potential long term cost of complications, as there is now a potential for a NINE TO TEN MONTHS gap between problems and them showing up in any test.

He also said the timing was 'unfortunate', but that EVERY Metformin only Diabetic in Bucks would be getting a letter in the next few days to tell tham that their strips were being withdrawn.

He said make an appointment with your own GP, and discuss it with them. I'll let you know what happens.

I'm planning to write to my MP about this. Please do the same if you can.

(No smilie - there isn't one angry enough)

ClaireG 06

Thats awful. I can't belive that anyone would think it was ok to let someone go for 9-10 months without knowing what there blood sugar levels are doing. Surely it will cost PCTs etc more in the long run as people will using up appointments getting their blood sugars checked if they are ill and think they maybe going high or low.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
That is bad news! :(

Nigel

JonBoy

Have you asked if they are withdrawing the urine glucose strips? They are cheaper alternative to keep an eye on your sugar levels going high.

Kleinian2

I don't know where Bucks get their info because the NICE guidelines are quite clear and Type 2 are allowed to have test strips. It is in 8.1.5 R23 (Google!) with a supplement in R24. Crazy stuff!

milesofsmiles

You are not alone in Bucks. Im in Rutland/Leicestershire and test strips were withdrawn from presciptions about three months ago. NHS Trust said we dont need to test! Like others I found testing was part of my control process. I have been forced into buying test strips privately now.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Given the news items about self-testing to control diabetes, on the Radio 4 'Today' programme and elsewhere, plus the shock-horror diabetes epidemic ones recently, I think it's worth starting to lobby.

I've emailed Radio 4 PM, Today and Woman's Hour about this. You-and-Yours may be a good idea too. If we all have a go, someone might pay attention!

Viv 8)

Badshot

I joined a local GP a while back and that was the last time I saw a test strip, all Type 2's now have a blood test every 3 months down the local A+E!

Boo boo

I live in lincolnshire, and have been diagnosed a few weeks now,and i asked if i would get a machine, but they said type2 don't need to test so i got my own machine and asked if i could get the strips on perscription. But the doc said no. The thing is i recieve 10 free with my machine and tested for the first time yesterday, my sugar was 13.3 in the morn,then 7.5 in the afternoon, then when i went to bed it was 16. So we need to test to see where were going wrong with food...

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Kleinian2 said:
It is in 8.1.5 R23 (Google!) with a supplement in R24.

Right on! I'm gonna get that tattooed on my arm for when they try to stop strips here in Bristol! :wink:

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
viviennem said:
Given the news items about self-testing to control diabetes, on the Radio 4 'Today' programme and elsewhere, plus the shock-horror diabetes epidemic ones recently, I think it's worth starting to lobby.

I've emailed Radio 4 PM, Today and Woman's Hour about this. You-and-Yours may be a good idea too. If we all have a go, someone might pay attention!

Viv 8)

Good call Viv
thumbsup.gif

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
South Tyneside NHS you can Add that to the list of no strips for Metfromin users

and Sunderland transferred to South Tyneside NHS Foundation Trust from NHS South of Tyne and Wear as part of the Government’s Transforming Community Services programme.

Times are a changing

Bob

pixor

My repeat prescription for test strips came back with a note with high lighter pen over it saying "don't use regularly. Only when I'll." I'm in Stirlingshire.

The reason I test every morning is so I can correct my blood sugar if it starts creeping up, so that I don't get I'll :roll:

benniesmum

Dislikes
My Doc right now
I've spoken to my PCT anonomously to find out what their stance is, and got the expected blah blah back. Nothing about cost saving, just that 'research' has PROVED that we T2s on Metformin get no benefit from testing. We obviously can't be trusted with something this tricky.

I have an appointment with my Doc the week after next and my Diabetes Doc in August. (That's the soonest I could get without declaring an emergency).

benniesmum

Dislikes
My Doc right now
Well I saw the doc this week and, guess what, she gave me all the blurb about NICE guidelines etc. She won't reinstate my strips unless the Diabetic doc says to do so. She DID say that she would review the surgery's position if other people complained. So if any of you live in Beaconsfield Bucks and use the Simpson centre surgery, PLEASE complain to your doctor.

She also said I could have more frequent HBa1C tests.

(Seeing the Diabetic doc in 2 weeks time)