Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have written down loads of quotes. One good one each from the main speakers:

Tom Watson (drawing spontaneous applause):
‘If I cannot feel this good without going against the guidance of our Government, something has gone very, very wrong.’

Aseem Malhotra:
talking about the low carb program: ‘Not offering this to patients is medically unethical.

Zoe Harcombe ‘Public Health England advice is a recipe for diabesity.’

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Really enjoyed the meeting. Speakers were brilliant. Great to meet some others from the forum and in a wonderful setting. What I took away is the urgent need to promote changing life style for type 2. At least we have one MP on board but how to change our GP's is going to be a hard task.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Really enjoyed the meeting. Speakers were brilliant. Great to meet some others from the forum and in a wonderful setting. What I took away is the urgent need to promote changing life style for type 2. At least we have one MP on board but how to change our GP's is going to be a hard task.

To be totally frank with you Hiitsme, we have plenty to do with our GPs, but so many state they just nod and smile when their GPs, or nurses talk about diet, in the more usual, plenty carbs, way. Doing that is reinforcing the errored messages, in my opinion.

I see it as my duty as a patient to be frank, but polite with my GP, but certainly not to mislead her in anything I am doing.

Until we get some decent traction in grown-up communications with our advisors, they will think all's going well, that the untaken Metformin is working and that lots of starchy carbs are the way forward.

WE have a lot to do in this game, and I, for one, have plenty skin in the game.

Edited to clarify a point, and correct a couple of typos,............. Doh!

Last edited:

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
It was great meeting there a few of the movers and shakers on this site, @Goonergal, @Dr Snoddy and @Hiitsme yesterday evening at the APPG meeting within the Houses of Parliament. The time flew by at just one and half hours with Keith Vaz chairing and "heavy weights" Dr Zoe Harcombe, Dr Aseem Malhotra, Dietitian Trudi Deakin and MP Tom Watson on the panel. Ivor Cummins is not only a brilliant engineer / scientist but he doubled last night as a videographer. Micheal Mosley and Dr David Unwin were also present in the audience.

Tom Watson, came across as genuinely wishing to influence public health policy. He is "irritated" by the amount of cola children consume and said "....If I cannot feel this good without breaking the guidelines my government give me" He turned around his diabetes in around 6 weeks, but waited a year to be sure. He cut out refined sugars and carbs and had keto flu for 2 - 3 days. He described himself as an amateur bio-hacker who is now has more cognitive function, better concentration and is more compassionate.

Aseem Malhotra provided a fact based presentation, such as two thirds of the adults in the UK are overweight or obese, 5 billion spent on obesity related matters and 20 billion on Type 2 overall. Not sure if this is a new term but he stated 80 -90% adults are "Overfat" in the UK, i.e. have excess body fat. Aseem pointed out that eminence and ignorance trump facts and sets back the low carb adoption when persons such as Prof Jim Mann (WHO) state that low carb diets are dangerous due to a lack of fibre; only to be proved wrong by people like Dr Caryn Zinn (which does not make the headlines (circa 38 - 45 grams of fibre in a well formulated diet)).

Zoe Harcombe detailed how the 1977 US guidelines and 1983 UK equivalents put carbs at around 55%, and that there has been a gradual increase to around 62% of calories made up of carbs. The "takeaways" were "don't let fake food set the guidelines", "all patient choice" and I don't have note of the 3rd (hopefully this will go up on Zoe's website). Zoe provided a robust response to a lady representing the benefits on bariatric surgery, by questioning why re-plumbing one's internal internals to their bottom (paraphrasing) should be a last resort as opposed to the inference from the questioner that it should be at the forefront - Aseem chimed in (on what was a difficult moment for the questioner to put it lightly) with the technical BMI numbers at which surgery would be granted, stating that many ~Type 2's fail this criteria anyway.

Trudi Deakin answered a question about Veganism potentially reversing Type 2; she stated there is no evidence Veganism is a healthier option and went on detail what is required to theoretically complete the nutritional deficiencies.

I asked for either Zoe or Aseem to consider hosting a register of diabetics who have put their Type 2 into remission with surgery backed prof similar to the Type 1 Grit evidence base, this was appreciated by several in the audience.

Overall the highlights were meeting some of the members, shaking Ivor Cummins hand (what a legend), meeting Trudi, Zoe (and her husband) and discussing with others at the end of the meeting some ideas.

Last edited:

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I thought about going - but I was worried that I might have become disruptive, I know - but at 67 years old, one of these days it will be too late to have waited politely to be heard.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @Goonergal for posting this thread. I have now watched the 3 videos and very interesting too. Following on I have watched a number of other videos by Dr David Unwin where he addresses other medical professionals and again very interesting indeed.

Reactions: OrsonKartt

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm being given a 5 mins slot at our next local Diabetes UK meeting (yes I know some think as the enemy but they are at least interested enough to find out more about diabetes). I was going to stop going because some are very anti low carb but 5 mins is worth trying.

Reactions: Goonergal

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My GP today put a slightly different slant to all of this. He is on the inside in very many senses of the word, which I found quite astonishing.

At first mention of LCHF and diabetes he described it as being THE way to go and that the previous thinking was becoming outmoded. His words and not mine. I really could not tell him anything he did not already know and he was irked when I told him I had watched the videos you have posted as he had a special reason to squirm, but that is a story I cannot tell.

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Quite impressed with reaction from my Diabetes UK meeting. I had taken a number of books and was asked to email all the details to the secretary so she could send a copy to all and also the links to the videos.