Smart Watch

Connie’s Dad

My daughter uses libre with Miao Miao. Has a Samsung phone with xDrip installed on it.

As an 8 year old it’s a pain for her to have her phone near her all the time. But as me and her Mum depend on this we “make her” carry it in a bum bag!

Any recommendations for a smart watch that could display her BG from the MM?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I understand the Sony Smartwatch 2 will work with x drip as well as the Apple, Fitbit blaze or versa, any android compatible smart watch should work.

D

Deleted Account

Be aware most smart watches need a phone nearby to work.
I think @porl69 recently mentioned his TicWatch which does not need a phone.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Hi @Connie’s Dad I have a Ticwatch Pro which is a stand alone watch..... ie you don't need a phone nearby to see the graph. I believe the whole Ticwatch range is pretty much the same phone wise

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Quite a large face in the Pro....
20190207_140323.jpg

Reactions: Knikki
K

Knikki

I have the non pro version of the Ticwatch.

2gtoisg.jpg

The face is a little smaller then the Pro version but not much.

If your going to use an Android Smartwatch then check it will take Wear OS as it needs that to communicate with the phone.

Be aware most smart watches need a phone nearby to work.
I think @porl69 recently mentioned his TicWatch which does not need a phone.

Not quite true you do need a phone to set the watch up and the watch will not display any treatments, like insulin/carbs etc but any changes you make to the Watch will transmit back to the phone.

For me the advantage is that I can go to the gym with the watch on and leave the phone at home they do not have to be in close proximity to each other for them to work :)

I believe, from doing a Google that Mobovi are going to release a Ticwatch E2 which looks like it will be OK to swim with, but I have no knowledge of this other than this link.

https://www.wareable.com/android-wear/ticwatch-e2-release-date-price-specs-6550

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted Account

Just another though @Connie’s Dad
You say you and her Mum "depend on this". Is that as you review her BG remotely?
If so, you may need to check the information is available remotely if downloaded to a standalone SmartWatch and whether a phone is needed to upload the values to the Cloud for remote access.

Last edited by a moderator:

Connie’s Dad

I have the non pro version of the Ticwatch.

2gtoisg.jpg

The face is a little smaller then the Pro version but not much.

If your going to use an Android Smartwatch then check it will take Wear OS as it needs that to communicate with the phone.

Not quite true you do need a phone to set the watch up and the watch will not display any treatments, like insulin/carbs etc but any changes you make to the Watch will transmit back to the phone.

For me the advantage is that I can go to the gym with the watch on and leave the phone at home they do not have to be in close proximity to each other for them to work :)

I believe, from doing a Google that Mobovi are going to release a Ticwatch E2 which looks like it will be OK to swim with, but I have no knowledge of this other than this link.

https://www.wareable.com/android-wear/ticwatch-e2-release-date-price-specs-6550

IMG_4618.jpg

Is this the one?

How do you manage apps on it? Ie, how do you get a bg monitor hooked to MiaoMiao to display?

Last edited:

Connie’s Dad

Just another though @Connie’s Dad
You say you and her Mum "depend on this". Is that as you review her BG remotely?
If so, you may need to check the information is available remotely if downloaded to a standalone SmartWatch and whether a phone is needed to upload the values to the Cloud for remote access.

Provided she was able to check herself on the watch we could live with times she is not near her phone.

Not sure how all the tech works tho!

K

Knikki

View attachment 31159

Is this the one?

How do you manage apps on it? Ie, how do you get a bg monitor hooked to MiaoMiao to display?

Yep that's the one I have.

On the MiaoMiao website there is page there that shows you how to get it all to work plus there is a YouTube video that also shows details, I'll try and find them later on and edit this post.

Think once it is downloaded to the phone you then use the Play Store via the watch interface, down load xDrip and install, then use the phone to set various options and away you go. hhhhmmmmmmmm that sounds more complex than it is.

Its not 100% reliable as sometimes they all loose the ability to talk to each other, or Samsung blue tooth plays up but a reboot of both things usually gets them all working again.

Connie’s Dad

Yep that's the one I have.

On the MiaoMiao website there is page there that shows you how to get it all to work plus there is a YouTube video that also shows details, I'll try and find them later on and edit this post.

Think once it is downloaded to the phone you then use the Play Store via the watch interface, down load xDrip and install, then use the phone to set various options and away you go. hhhhmmmmmmmm that sounds more complex than it is.

Its not 100% reliable as sometimes they all loose the ability to talk to each other, or Samsung blue tooth plays up but a reboot of both things usually gets them all working again.

I’m pretty close to getting it working! Just the bit about the watch working independently of the phone so she can swim with it.

Sounds like what you do to leave phone at home when at gym.

What settings have you got in xDrip?

K

Knikki

I’m pretty close to getting it working! Just the bit about the watch working independently of the phone so she can swim with it.

Sounds like what you do to leave phone at home when at gym.

What settings have you got in xDrip?

Hi

To setup I followed the instructions on the MiaoMiao website https://miaomiao.cool/pages/how-to-use-miaomiao-with-xdrip

The settings I currently have on xDrip via Settings - Smart watch Features - Android Wear Integration menu are:

r9euzk.jpg

2n69riw.jpg

Hope that helps.

K

Knikki

HMMMM going to tag @Scott-C & @porl69 as they both use xDrip as well.

Time for the old IT trick.

Try turn the phone off then back on again not a restart but power off. (I do that a lot with mine it usually resets things reloads drivers and kicks things back into shape).

If that fails then turn the phone and watch off, power up the phone first then the watch, I also do this first thing in the morning as I don't have them running during the night.

Is the Bluetooth on and does it see the MiaoMaio, that is on the phone itself.

On xDrip Bluetooth Scan make sure it can see the MiaoMaio and make sure it has connected, I find that also sometimes wo

Are the settings on the watch the same as the weblink I sent? I have found that on the watch if the "Force Wear Collection Service" is enabled that they will not talk.

Try clicking Restart Collector.

All the above are things I have used to get things going again, but must admit I have not seen "Service Full Stop" normally on my setup it is more a case of the carpy Samsung Bluetooth playing up.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Thanks for the tag @Knikki
I have never seen "Service full stop before" and can not find anything about it either.
Would totally agree with @Knikki on the old IT trick.....tuen everything off and on again!
I have the same setting as Knikki as well. I also have "Force Wear Collection Service" ticked

Connie’s Dad

It seems to be working now. Only issue is an increase in missed signals and update frequency seems to have gone from 5 to 7-8 mins on mine and her Mums phones. Can live with that though.
The good news is Connie went through full swimming lesson 27.5 lengths, had her watch on, reading on her wrist, didn’t have to get out to check at all.

MaherOlivia

Hi Connie's Dad. I'm reading your thread with interest. I have a 7Yo T1D son. We too are looking for a smart watch to use with the Libre and Miao Miao. Did you opt for the TicWatch E2 and does it fit your daughter's wrist okay? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Connie’s Dad

Hi Connie's Dad. I'm reading your thread with interest. I have a 7Yo T1D son. We too are looking for a smart watch to use with the Libre and Miao Miao. Did you opt for the TicWatch E2 and does it fit your daughter's wrist okay? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

The watch has been fine. She wears it without any issues. It’s chunky but not too bad. The issue I’m having is getting it to work as a standalone. It works well when phone is nearby but when I try and set it up as a standalone device it seems not to maintain pairing with the MiaoMiao. Trawling through Facebook forums trying to get a fix!

Reactions: Knikki