Pumps and night shifts

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I have my first ever nightshift tonight, 1900-0700. Can anyone give me some hints as to how to manage my pump settings? Normally I’m asleep :D

I usually run a fairly steady rate through the night, this programme is tried and tested for this particular phase of my cycle and keeps me dead level when fasting.

Thank you :)

5149A8B1-A683-40AC-AC85-E3FBD5F0F7E0.jpeg

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
Hi Mel,
Copy the current settings, but reverse them. You may need a transition setting as well and even an afternoon shift. I have only done limited night shifts, but routine is critical and that is for those that aren’t diabetic.
Good luck.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I would always just keep them the same until the data shows I need to adjust.......and then a basal pattern can be programmed in ,allowing it to be turned on and off at leisure....

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Thanks guys. It’s a one off for now, but I’m planning on doing a few (I’m a volunteer first responder, just accompanying an ambulance crew) before my paramedic course starts and I have to do the things for real, so I can see what the impact is and preempt any changes. Just spent the afternoon asleep in preparation, which was rather nice!

Reactions: kitedoc and porl69
D

Deleted Account

Hi Mel,
Copy the current settings, but reverse them. You may need a transition setting as well and even an afternoon shift. I have only done limited night shifts, but routine is critical and that is for those that aren’t diabetic.
Good luck.
As a one off, to see if it works, could you temporarily move the clock forward (or backwards) 12 hours as you would if you travelled to New Zealand (from the UK ... not from Australia)?
Obviously, don't forget to reverse the change when you go back to day shifts.

This approach would have the added bonus of confusing HCP who try to make sense of the numbers in Diasend. Mine struggle because I move the clock on my pump when I travel (and with DST) but have forgotten how to do it on my meter.

Reactions: LooperCat

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
So far I’m running a little high with conservative corrections. I’ll be able to glean a fair bit from my CGM and pump outputs just from this so far, I think. Just on a blue light run over a mountain road, but no adrenaline spikes.

Reactions: kitedoc

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Currently running a steady 6.2 and on a meal break. Just sticking to olives, Quorn and coffee as I don’t want to throw any carbs in the mix. Wonder if the usual DP will kick in?

Reactions: kitedoc and porl69

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People telling me how to control my diabetes. My health. Isms. People walking their dogs off leads in illegal areas. Meat that bleeds. Late buses.
As someone who has night-shifts at work but has never been scheduled on one, was just wondering how you got on? Did DP kick in as normal?

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
It was an odd night really, as it coincided with when I would change my basal program for some pre menstrual insulin resistance. I didn’t change over and ended up running a little high, in the 7s and 8s but smoothly - so I guess DP kicked in as usual, so there wasn’t a low at 3am to coincide with the extra insulin I have at that time.

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People telling me how to control my diabetes. My health. Isms. People walking their dogs off leads in illegal areas. Meat that bleeds. Late buses.
Interesting! Thanks for taking the time to respond!

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
It’ll be interesting to see what happens when I’m on placement and doing four nights on the trot...

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
I think the question is how long does it take on consecutive nights for DP to change timing, if ever ??
My impression years ago on MDI and doing night shift for 7 days at a time was that the DP did not disappear - but that was with intermittent BSL finger prick monitoring only.
And yes I swapped Levemir doses over and 'breakfast' to dinner, 'lunch' to about 12 md and 'dinner' to 8 am with pre-meal short-acting insulin.