KellyNjessy

Hi my son is 9 and he was diagnosed two months ago with type 1 diabetes
My son has aultism ADHD odd asthma so bit on his plate
His always been fussy with food but he just refuses to eat
What was his favourite food before won't touch it now
His not a small kid about 48 kg
So there not worried his not eatting much and is losing weight
But I can't even get him to eat to give him insulin
They want me to cut smacks out and just stick to the three main meals so his hungry enough to eat but to go from 1 to 7 with out eatting is giving him huge sugar drops
They want me to give insulin before meals this is also a problem as he won't even eat everything you give him
Even when his sugar is low his not hungry most of the time
He excepts the injections everything else so well but isn't wanting food
I'm not sure what to do

mahola

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If he's not eating, don't give him his fast acting insulin. You can always give him insulin after he has eaten so he doesn't go hypo if he doesn't eat all his food.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
Oh @KellyNjessy how my heart goes out to you! <3
My 28yr old is autistic and STILL only eats the same few foods. He also has ADHD, depression/anxiety, and allergies to many things. He has eaten (and been medicated with appetite growth side effects) his way into fatty liver disease. He is probably a Type 2 by now but there is absolutely nothing I can do.
When he was 7, we did a food avoidance test for food allergies. He, like your son, starved himself. About 4 days into the project, he again refused his supper, and wandered around the house whimpering quietly. I couldn't stand it any longer and gave him regular food.
You have the added horror of Type 1. I can't advise you on that, and since I failed even the food test with my own kid.... I have no bright ideas for you. All I can do is stand there with you. Sending hugs!
Maybe you can post in both the Type 1 and the Children with diabetes forums, see if you can find ideas there.

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People telling me how to control my diabetes. My health. Isms. People walking their dogs off leads in illegal areas. Meat that bleeds. Late buses.
I don't take my insulin before food because I don't know that I will finish it or at times like it. That may come with a slightly higher reading a couple of hours after before it settles again but it sounds like that is better than wondering if your child is going to go hypo. I would urge you to get in contact with your team and make sure his basal rate is spot on. In theory this will mean there is no NEED for him to eat during the day for his diabetes. You will only need to worry about his injections of background insulin. Of course he still needs to eat but it helps him do so more on his own terms and then you only need to inject in response to that rather than trying to force upon him a routine he does not like. Is he likely to try and pull a devise such as an insulin pump out of him (sorry to be course but it is attached to us by tubing) or try break the pump? That might be another route to ask for if you think he would accept it more. Then you only need to take his pump to add the insulin rather than constantly inject him.

Once his background insulin (basal) is sorted he should not experience these drops. Keep pushing your nurse and doctor to help you stabilize him on that front. That in itself may improve his moods to his more pre-diabetic self which you may find you are more knowledgeable in getting to eat ect.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Before I retired I used to work with autistic adults and we found that those that were fussy enjoyed helping to choose and prepare food (from a very limited range) and were more enthusiastic about the foods they'd help prepare. We also used to involve them in menu planning, shopping and even tidying up after.

Traceymac23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Moaner
Could it be that he's associating food with injections....and therefore not liking mealtimes? Not sure how to break that link if this is the case....but I do wish you all the best....you certainly have your hands full.

There are plenty of more experienced people than I am and hopefully some are parents?(I'm type 2 so not really ideal to comment).

I think there is a section for parents trying to cope with their child's condition(s).

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
A "artificial pancreas" system may help as they respond to BG without needing any action before someone eat.