Complications and depression

DiabeticDi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have complications...had retinopathy which has ultimately caused scarring and loss of vision due to loads of laser and I have glaucoma. My vision is ok for getting about but poor for reading. The thing is, I know I didn't look after myself when I was younger. I then did a DAFNE course in 2011 and improved my control and realised how totally STUPID I had been and every day now I think if I had only looked after myself I wouldn't be in this state and it is killing me. All I can think is that I did this to myself, it wasn't out of my control, ii is MY FAULT. Anyone else experience this?

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m probably not qualified to respond but it’s definitely not your fault. Sometimes we just don’t know any better and it happens. You didn’t have the control. Your vision is ok now and you can now do what you can to keep it as best as you can.

Last edited:

KookieMunchster

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Religious & Political Fanaticism, that sneeze that just won't happen, creepy ventriloquist dolls and oompaloompas.
I'm really sorry to hear how rough it must be for you.
It would be a mistake though, to live your life only ever looking backwards.:(
It's never really just any one thing that results in anything ; but usually a series of events which lead up to a point in which you find your life fundamentally changed; and I think lots of people feel the way you do.
It's even an adage - "Youth is wasted on the young" :banghead:
It is still in your power to decide and shape what exactly that change will mean for you.
I sincerely hope things get better for you soon!

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @DiabeticDi Its incredible how knowledge can empower you when living with a health condition, however you did not know beforehand what tools were required and in my book that means it's not your fault so please don't blame yourself.

My philosophy in living with this is to be the expert and learn as much as you can, but also be kind to yourself too, don't beat yourself up when things go wrong.

Your story is well worth sharing though, we hear about those who live in denial and don't control their diabetes which does lead to problems so please stick around here to help educate others :)

DiabeticDi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello @DiabeticDi Its incredible how knowledge can empower you when living with a health condition, however you did not know beforehand what tools were required and in my book that means it's not your fault so please don't blame yourself.

My philosophy in living with this is to be the expert and learn as much as you can, but also be kind to yourself too, don't beat yourself up when things go wrong.

Your story is well worth sharing though, we hear about those who live in denial and don't control their diabetes which does lead to problems so please stick around here to help educate others :)

Reactions: KookieMunchster

DiabeticDi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thank you for your reply, it has helped me to realise I musn't beat myself up...I would be very happy to help diabetics who are not being "good£ diabetics and not looking after themselves if there is any thread or forum..I wish someone would have talked to me when I was young and made me realise.

DiabeticDi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm really sorry to hear how rough it must be for you.
It would be a mistake though, to live your life only ever looking backwards.:(
It's never really just any one thing that results in anything ; but usually a series of events which lead up to a point in which you find your life fundamentally changed; and I think lots of people feel the way you do.
It's even an adage - "Youth is wasted on the young" :banghead:
It is still in your power to decide and shape what exactly that change will mean for you.
I sincerely hope things get better for you soon!

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Hindsight-is-20-20-but-if-you-re-always-looking-ba.jpg

The past is gone and done you can't change it where you go from here is still mostly under your control..