Type 2 Exact timing of blood sugar tests

LalaALH

Hi, I am a T2 diabetic controlling my diabetes with a low carb diet. I am in the process of testing to see what impact different foods have on me - so at 30 mins, 1 hour, 2 hours. I’ve managed to get my HbA1c down to 42, yay! But it’s nearly a year since diagnosis, so I might not get testing supplies on the NHS soon, so I’m trying to build up a store of knowledge before testing less frequently.

First question: Do I time from immediately after finishing the meal (as suggested in Blood sugar 101) or from the first bite (as I’ve seen here)?

Second question: When is a good time to carry out controlled testing? Eg is breakfast much more variable due to Dawn Phenomenon?

Many thanks for your input!

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Exact timing of blood sugar tests

Unfortunately finger prick testing with a mome meter is not an exact science, so it is impossible to say exactly when you should time your tests, there are too many variables involved (unless you eat the exact same food and take exactly the same length of time to consume it)

IMHO the most important thing is to do the same thing every time, so if you time it from first mouthful, then always repeat that, or if you do it 10 minutes after finishing do the same, then your results have more chance of meaning something.

Reactions: 1spuds

LalaALH

Thanks. It just seems to me that given how blood sugar testing is often used in research, testing is always described as so many minutes ‘after a meal’ rather than ‘after starting’/‘after completing’ a meal - since the two can differ markedly. Assuming a quick meal, there’s 30 minutes difference. There must be a scientific protocol - does anyone know what it is?

I do accept that in real life testing, I need to be consistent, and that’s the important thing.

Reactions: 1spuds

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks. It just seems to me that given how blood sugar testing is often used in research, testing is always described as so many minutes ‘after a meal’ rather than ‘after starting’/‘after completing’ a meal - since the two can differ markedly. Assuming a quick meal, there’s 30 minutes difference. There must be a scientific protocol - does anyone know what it is?

I do accept that in real life testing, I need to be consistent, and that’s the important thing.

When we have an oral glucose tolerance test, we are tested immediately before we drink the glucose and then at intervals from that point in time, not from when we finish the drink. The general recommendations are from first bite, but consistency is important.

LalaALH

Interesting - thanks for the info @Bluetit1802. Glucose is probably the fastest ingestion of carbs possible, so start and end would be close (but takeup would be also very fast). Whereas when eating a low carb meal I imagine it would take longer for the first sugars to hit the bloodstream.

I remember in Blood Sugar 101 the author said that if the highest carb bit was dessert, then time it from dessert.

She also reports that research shows the most predictive measure for health in multiple studies is the spike 1 hour after a meal. So I guess I could test to see the time of the biggest spike and use that as my consistent time...

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
She also reports that research shows the most predictive measure for health in multiple studies is the spike 1 hour after a meal. So I guess I could test to see the time of the biggest spike and use that as my consistent time...

Catching the time we peak can be illuminating, and peaks are important because apparently it is the spikes that cause the eye and nerve damage. Looking to see how long it takes to recover from the peak and be back where we started is also interesting. Much depends on the contents of the meal eaten - quick acting carbs, slow acting carbs, lots of fat, time of day, bla di bla all play a part, not to mention our insulin resistance and whetgher we have lost some of our first phase response, or indeed some of our second phase response.

The best way to experiment with all this is to try a Libre and see what happens throughout the day and night for 2 weeks.

LalaALH

Good point - I appreciate that slow carbs can have as much of an impact on average blood sugar as short sharp spikes. I hadn’t thought of buying a Libre purely as an investigative tool. I’ve assumed I’ll transition onto an intuitive diet - once I’ve educated my intuition! Might have to rethink that.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

john john

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I know it is wrong to sit in the background, but finding time to get on this wonderful forum after dealing with six great grandchildren 4 grandchildren keeps me busy. I joined the forum awhile back now and was doing very well with type 2. I was getting between 5-6. Last September I had an heart attack and had a stent fitted and feel much better now. But my problem is that I feel I have fell by the wayside a bit now and my readings are between 6-7-11 sometimes. I have failed with my will power and diet and just can’t seem to get back on track. Please any advise will be gracefully received. I am trying at the moment to test after meals etc to try and educate myself a bit more. Can anyone please help. Many thanks JB or John.

LalaALH

Hi JB - so sorry you didn't get a reply - try starting a new topic. Existing topics are a long way down the list that people see when they enter the app! I am a relative newbie, but a couple of things I’ve discovered are worth thinking about if you aren’t already doing them?

Exercise! A brisk walk after meals stops those spikes. I’ve even started running with the help of Couch to 5K via the NHS (at 66! Though with your tribe of descendants I’m sure you're a bit older than me). Exercising has given me energy to diet. Also, after exercise it suppresses my appetite.

Water. I’m experimenting with drinking a glass of water with everything I eat. Stops me snacking (I’ve got to lose weight).

Feeding everyone low carb.

If you have a smartphone, try apps like MyFitnessPal for tracking calories as well as carbs, MySugr, and Happy Scales.

My go to site is ditch the carbs.com and for information bloodsugar101.com.

I hope something there is helpful - and good luck!!!