Breakfast.....cereals

KookieMunchster

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Religious & Political Fanaticism, that sneeze that just won't happen, creepy ventriloquist dolls and oompaloompas.
Porridge is good for diabetics, as gives steady blood sugar levels rather than peaks n troughs. Do you not read anything? Just giving opinions rather than facts is helpful to no one, n downright dangerous.
Honestly, I don't think what's "good" for you is like a one size fit all T-shirt.
One size rarely fits all.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Why the rudeness and dismissive attitude? ‘Good for diabetics’ is a daft mantra as it’s all down to what raises an individuals blood glucose level.

Instead of being nasty, you could always join in the discussion properly, like adults are supposed to, or try to read the dissection of the last bit of research about how meat is bad and will kill us all, it’s even on this thread!

(Edited: it’s not, it’s on another incredibly easy to find thread. Thanks @bulkbiker).

Quote edited by Mod

My comments now seem a bit out of context. The rude and nasty comment by another poster has now been edited and deleted by a mod.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Just tested out the "Ignore" button and it works.
Can I respectfully suggest that others also try this strategy and ignore obvious (intentional or not) Trolls?
If a tree falls in the woods and nobody hears it............etc.:)

pete254

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What do you have for brekky?

I knew Shredded wheat was low sugar compared to other cereals but compared to Weetabix it is higher in carbs, do i alternate the 2?

one cereal the wife has is 5 times the sugars of weetabix

For breakfast I have porage, berries, a splash of normal milk and a sprinkling of cinnamon. I have had this for the last five and a half years, testing once a year during that time and the result is always the same - a rise of 1.5 mmol after 2 hours and down to 4/5 by lunchtime (5 hours later).
The reason I posted this is don't dismiss porage because of other people's experiences, we are all different and you may be OK with it for breakfast. Try it once and test. For me the advantages are it is quick and easy to make, keeps me full for at least 5 hours and it is cheap. Other breakfast cereals are available to test!

Reactions: nadiq38

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For breakfast I have porage, berries, a splash of normal milk and a sprinkling of cinnamon. I have had this for the last five and a half years, testing once a year during that time and the result is always the same - a rise of 1.5 mmol after 2 hours and down to 4/5 by lunchtime (5 hours later).
The reason I posted this is don't dismiss porage because of other people's experiences, we are all different and you may be OK with it for breakfast. Try it once and test. For me the advantages are it is quick and easy to make, keeps me full for at least 5 hours and it is cheap. Other breakfast cereals are available to test!
Are you saying you test this meal just once a year? - imho that's a completely meaningless test and tells you absolutely nothing other than 5/6 times out of 38333.5 meals you were ok at 2hrs

I would be testing before first bite, 1,2,3 and possibly 4 hr depending on the curve for at least 5 times in a row and even if I was happy with results would still randomly test meal every so often.

Porridge for me used to look ok at 2hrs with a rise of 2 points - until I tested at 1 hr and was shocked to see 13.something - a rise of 7 points - also left me starving

I do agreee with you that everyone is different and can make their own choices and I'm all for that - but they need the info to make those choices and a once a year test does in no way provide any safe info

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Porridge - made with jumbo oats and oat milk - is one of the very few foods that I have to dramatically change the breakfast ratio for insulin calculation for. Normally at breakfast I'm 1 unit of insulin per 3g of carb, but for porridge I have to change to 1 unit per 9g carb because it's so very slow for me.

Porridge is the only breakfast cereal I eat simply because it's so slow- other brekkies are tofu/seitan/veg based, with the occasional toast & peanut butter comfort breakfast.

Reactions: nadiq38

pete254

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Are you saying you test this meal just once a year? - imho that's a completely meaningless test and tells you absolutely nothing other than 5/6 times out of 38333.5 meals you were ok at 2hrs

I would be testing before first bite, 1,2,3 and possibly 4 hr depending on the curve for at least 5 times in a row and even if I was happy with results would still randomly test meal every so often.

Porridge for me used to look ok at 2hrs with a rise of 2 points - until I tested at 1 hr and was shocked to see 13.something - a rise of 7 points - also left me starving

I do agreee with you that everyone is different and can make their own choices and I'm all for that - but they need the info to make those choices and a once a year test does in no way provide any safe info
Hello @lovinglife and thanks for your concern. I thought I would explain my self-testing routine to clarify.
January 2013 after my official diagnosis I tested for 5 weeks - fasting, pre and post prandial and bedtime.
This taught me a lot, not least of which was that I don't like testing much:)
I then decided to do a week of testing every 6 months in between my six-monthly HbA1c tests to make sure nothing has changed. One week I would test breakfast and lunch, six months later dinner and supper
The last time I tested porage was two months ago. Before was 6.1 after 2 hours 7.6 after 4 hours 5.4 (this was my pre-lunch test).
I'm happy with this and my HbA1c has been OK for the last 5 years (see my signature). It also helps that I eat pretty much the same every day with no snacking.
Of course if my HbA1c is too high then I will think again.
What this shows is that we are all different, for example you were starving after porage whereas it fills me up for 5 hours.
This system of self-testing and HbA1c has worked for me (so far at least!) but again thanks for your concern.
Best Wishes

JohnH2019

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am newly diagnosed and was told somewhere, probably the hand out booklet from GP that weetabix or shredded wheat for breakfast. I hate breakfast tbh but as I have to take tablet with food in am, I have forced myself to have weetabix. fortunately I use soya milk and have found stevia excellent instead of fruit/sugar. From this post, are the 2 cereals mentioned not good then? I am hungry mid morning and have wondered whether the regime is actually helping me. I cant imagine having an omlette for breakfast but could probably force a boiled egg down (pre done, ie grab from fridge)

It makes me a little sad that you get that type of food recommendations from the GP for diabetes. Please have a look at some of the Primal/Paleo type options. Anything soy (except perhaps some fermented versions) is to be avoided as well. Your body is giving you a big hint by being hungry mid-morning after eating that sugary/carby breakfast. Even a perfectly healthy person should not being eating that.

JohnH2019

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Funny you should say that.... I went on to insulin almost immediately after diagnosis due to very, very high BG, it was only when I started low carbing and dropped the porridge that I reduced and eventually discontinued the insulin.

I also went through the 'oatmeal must be good for you' nonsense until I bought a glucose meter and found out for myself what it did. I had a lot to learn. :)

enb54

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I also went through the 'oatmeal must be good for you' nonsense until I bought a glucose meter and found out for myself what it did. I had a lot to learn. :)
That is exactly what I tell anyone who'll listen when they ask about the best piece of advice for a newly diagnosed T2D. Without a means of analyzing your blood glucose levels using self monitoring blood glucose testers, how in Hades can anyone possibly get better? This simple and inexpensive (compared to later health care costs) solution to guiding T2D dietary decisions is apparently an alien concept to many so-called "Health Care Professionals" and others who control health care funding. I'll stop here before this becomes a tirade...

Reactions: JohnH2019

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Testing is so important - There is a high consumption of oats in my native Yorkshire even now - 'oat cuisine' no less. Perhaps due to lifelong consumption I digest oats very easily and my BG not only goes high but stays high over the next day or two - or it did back when I was testing.

Jackthehat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well.... in late Feb/early March (pre-HA) i weighed 117kgs with a HBac of 8

In hospital awaiting my stents I weighed 113 and yesterday i weighed 111kg, so im done almost a stone

Brekky today was a small smoothie, tea, a bacon+mushroom omelette with tomatoes and a decaff coffee

Testing on my meter has been between 5 and 7 with a blip to 9 just after eating

Next trying Almond and/or coconut milk

SusieBrown65

I vary my breakfast this morning I had mushrooms on whole meal toast. I don’t usually eat bread but I thought I’d treat myself to a slice. I sometimes do a large field mushroom with a bit of wilted spinach and a poached egg, it’s quite tasty

Reactions: 1spuds and nadiq38

1spuds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well.... in late Feb/early March (pre-HA) i weighed 117kgs with a HBac of 8

In hospital awaiting my stents I weighed 113 and yesterday i weighed 111kg, so im done almost a stone

Brekky today was a small smoothie, tea, a bacon+mushroom omelette with tomatoes and a decaff coffee

Testing on my meter has been between 5 and 7 with a blip to 9 just after eating

Next trying Almond and/or coconut milk
That sounds much better than cereal to me.I think you are catching on fast,congrats for being open to listening to real diabetics,instead of self described 'experts'. The real experts are those who have diabetes and record meals and test actual results.Like forum members.

enb54

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I know it is not that good for my T2D but I really love my 3/4 cup of honey nut cheerios w/2% milk in the morning. For some odd reason, BG goes from about say 5.3 (USA 95.4) to about 7.4 (USA 133.2) and back down to about 5.3 or so within 2 hours. This is unlike "Frosted Flakes" which sends the BG readings up over 8 and takes at least 3 hours to get back down, even though others tell me that my cheerios are more sugar laden. Just goes to show that self testing works...

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I swapped my preferred breakfasts of toast and marmalade or porridge to a mix of milled flaxseed, chia seeds and a little oatbran - made with coconut milk and water, served with cinnamon and cream. A lot lower in carbs, but plenty of fibre.

Reactions: Bnayee and 1spuds

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.

Can I help you with something, Aly?

MissBabs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Has anyone any ideas for cold breakfasts that aren’t full of carbs? I don’t follow an extreme low carb diet, I tried it ( for 3 mths) it just didn’t agree with me. I’m fine with lunches and dinners but find breakfast really hard to keep my carbs down as unless you want to cook something it’s porridge, cereal, fruit or toast. Thanks in advance.