Wow

chris66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow currently expieriencing my first Hypo felt shakey tested blood, 2.9 have had my five jelly babies and a couple of mouthfulls of full fat coke, starting to settle a bit so check blood again in 5-10 mins. at least i know how it feels now so will no to act quicker next time.

Reactions: 1spuds

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Are you on medication Chris?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Your profile says you are diet only, so hypos are something that should not happen. Our livers kick in when they detect we are getting low. (unless we have been drinking alcohol of course!)

What had you been doing before this happened, and when did you last eat?

chris66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Your profile says you are diet only, so hypos are something that should not happen. Our livers kick in when they detect we are getting low. (unless we have been drinking alcohol of course!)

What had you been doing before this happened, and when did you last eat?
Yes i'm diet only and it's the first time i've suffered last eat at lunchtime about 12.30 ish was reading paper/checking cooking was ok not drank alcahol for six months (that was even pre diagnosis lol)

Reactions: MrGray

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, glad you are feeling better.

I would strongly urge you to sit down to a proper meal, containing fat, protein and as many (or few) carbs as you usualy eat.
The meal will digest steadily and help stabilse things.
The last thing you want is to bounce hypo-hyper-hypo by just relying on sweet stuff.

Hope that helps.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Did you double check the 2.9 reading?

Reactions: chris66

chris66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Did you double check the 2.9 reading?
No i didn't i was feeling shakey and possibly a bit weak which alerted me to check blood took it as read so acted feeling almost normal now (well as normal as you can get when i'm involved lol)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No i didn't i was feeling shakey and possibly a bit weak which alerted me to check blood took it as read so acted feeling almost normal now (well as normal as you can get when i'm involved lol)
I was just wondering what your levels are running at currently, as your reading may have been lower than you are used to which could be a false hypo. That is a level lower than you’re used to but not an actual hypo. Here’s some info that may explain it better than me!
http://diabetesupdate.blogspot.com/2007/07/type-2s-understanding-false-hypos.html

chris66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was just wondering what your levels are running at currently, as your reading may have been lower than you are used to which could be a false hypo. That is a level lower than you’re used to but not an actual hypo. Here’s some info that may explain it better than me!
http://diabetesupdate.blogspot.com/2007/07/type-2s-understanding-false-hypos.html
Levels have been fairly consistent of late usually in the mid 6 _ mid 7 range sometimes a touch higher but never been below 4 before.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Levels have been fairly consistent of late usually in the mid 6 _ mid 7 range sometimes a touch higher but never been below 4 before.
In that case it probably was that you simply aren't used to your bloods being down that low. First time I went sub 4 was during a fast and I felt very odd indeed but was there for about 30 minutes before bloods went back up again.. subsequent sub 4 visits have all been fine.

chris66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In that case it probably was that you simply aren't used to your bloods being down that low. First time I went sub 4 was during a fast and I felt very odd indeed but was there for about 30 minutes before bloods went back up again.. subsequent sub 4 visits have all been fine.
Thanks for that, maybe i over reacted being as it was a first, still at the beggining of a long learning curve, fingers crossed it won't happen again but can't be sure.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Because you are not taking any drugs to lower your blood sugar, there is no need to treat symptoms of a hypo. Sit and wait for your liver to dump some glucose into your system.
As you've seen, eating sugar has now made your blood sugar shoot up so now your pancreas has to pump out loads of insulin to deal with it and you may end up feeling hypo again.

What sort of things do you eat normally?

chris66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Because you are not taking any drugs to lower your blood sugar, there is no need to treat symptoms of a hypo. Sit and wait for your liver to dump some glucose into your system.
As you've seen, eating sugar has now made your blood sugar shoot up so now your pancreas has to pump out loads of insulin to deal with it and you may end up feeling hypo again.

What sort of things do you eat normally?
Not something i was aware of but will know in future, meals can vairy try to stick to lower carb as much as possible

chris66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, glad you are feeling better.

I would strongly urge you to sit down to a proper meal, containing fat, protein and as many (or few) carbs as you usualy eat.
The meal will digest steadily and help stabilse things.
The last thing you want is to bounce hypo-hyper-hypo by just relying on sweet stuff.

Hope that helps.
Thank you, bit of a shock t the system but normal service seems to have resumed now.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Because you are not on medication, I agree your weird feelings were most likely a false hypo. All it normally takes is a cup of tea or coffee with some milk, maybe a plain biscuit, to take the feelings away. No need for the jelly babies and coke. You saw what happened after you had those! Oh ... and if you get a low (or unexpected high) again, do a re-test to confirm it. We all get rogue readings from time to time.

chris66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Because you are not on medication, I agree your weird feelings were most likely a false hypo. All it normally takes is a cup of tea or coffee with some milk, maybe a plain biscuit, to take the feelings away. No need for the jelly babies and coke. You saw what happened after you had those! Oh ... and if you get a low (or unexpected high) again, do a re-test to confirm it. We all get rogue readings from time to time.
Thanks again one and all, touch wood it won't happen again, but if it does will make a better attempt at staying calm and relaxed and take more logical steps to correct the levels.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I feel I must add a comment on this. A hypo is officially defined as any reading below 4 mmol. I'm not sure it makes much difference if you are on meds or not. I went down to 2.6 a few weeks back but like the poster was able to take action and have some glucose tablets. I agree if you are not on insulin or a sulfonyl urea you are highly unlikely to go into a full hypo i.e. lose all control but as we all know the 4 mmol definition is a bit arbitrary and varies from day to day for many of us and there are a few like the poster who can have a level of hypo even with no meds.

Reactions: chris66