Wiltshire pensioner receives medal for having type 1 diabetes for 60 years

DCUK NewsBot

A Wiltshire man has been given a medal for living with type 1 diabetes for nearly all of his life. Pete Flannery, 69, from Trowbridge was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes aged nine. The retired quality assurance administrator was presented with Diabetes UK's Robert Lawrence medal which is given to those with diabetes in recognition of their courage and perseverance in handling the condition for 60 years. The award was named in honour of Dr Robert Lawrence who co-founded the Diabetic Association, now known as Diabetes UK, with H.G. Wells in 1934. Over the years, Pete has seen diabetes treatments evolve which has helped managing the condition a lot easier. Speaking to the Wiltshire Times newspaper, he said: "When I was given an insulin pump in 2016, it was a life-changer. It made life so easy. I had not been as good at blood testing previously, but it was going onto a pump that started me doing regular finger prick testing. "I now have much better control and like being able to see all my data, such as the results of every blood test I do and the volume of insulin I use. "I have had many jobs over the years, but fortunately my diabetes has never been a serious difficulty and my record of sickness absence was exemplary." Phaedra Perry, Diabetes UK South West Regional Head, said: "Pete Flannery is an inspiration, and has really shown how the right information, support and technology can help you lead a long, fulfilling life in spite of your diabetes."

Continue reading...

Reactions: Ruby919
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
A Wiltshire man has been given a medal for living with type 1 diabetes for nearly all of his life. Pete Flannery, 69, from Trowbridge was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes aged nine. The retired quality assurance administrator was presented with Diabetes UK's Robert Lawrence medal which is given to those with diabetes in recognition of their courage and perseverance in handling the condition for 60 years. The award was named in honour of Dr Robert Lawrence who co-founded the Diabetic Association, now known as Diabetes UK, with H.G. Wells in 1934. Over the years, Pete has seen diabetes treatments evolve which has helped managing the condition a lot easier. Speaking to the Wiltshire Times newspaper, he said: "When I was given an insulin pump in 2016, it was a life-changer. It made life so easy. I had not been as good at blood testing previously, but it was going onto a pump that started me doing regular finger prick testing. "I now have much better control and like being able to see all my data, such as the results of every blood test I do and the volume of insulin I use. "I have had many jobs over the years, but fortunately my diabetes has never been a serious difficulty and my record of sickness absence was exemplary." Phaedra Perry, Diabetes UK South West Regional Head, said: "Pete Flannery is an inspiration, and has really shown how the right information, support and technology can help you lead a long, fulfilling life in spite of your diabetes."

Continue reading...

What an inspirational man, a truly heartwarming post :)

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I love the way he started pumping in 2016 and has totally embraced it, sounds like a great fellow and a great achievement.

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People telling me how to control my diabetes. My health. Isms. People walking their dogs off leads in illegal areas. Meat that bleeds. Late buses.
I did not know you got another one for 60 years. My aunt will be pleased! Just three years for her to go! :D She started to pump a couple of years ago too and has been through all sorts of experiments over the years. She, like me, has brittle type one so was first in line to try all the 'new tricks' of the day that these days we'd go .....oh dear at. XD She's my t1 hero. She was so pleased to get her 50y one. I'll need to pop her a wee txt.

Reactions: Robinredbreast

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People telling me how to control my diabetes. My health. Isms. People walking their dogs off leads in illegal areas. Meat that bleeds. Late buses.
I love the way he started pumping in 2016 and has totally embraced it, sounds like a great fellow and a great achievement.

My aunt was similar. She went over 50 years on injections before she started her pump. She loves telling her granbairn that she is an android granny :D

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a good friend, from our local Diabetes UK group who was fit and well in his 80s, having been diagnosed 67 years. He was so incredibly proud of his medals.

Sadly, he passed away at Christmas. He was such an inspiration to me. 67 years in, in his 80s, still playing badminton twice a week and still riding his bicycle.

What a bloke. Keenly missed.

Reactions: Circuspony