CGM advice

Jems7

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Rudeness and ignorance!
Hey guys! Looking for some honest advice!
I’m considering starting using cgm as I’ve been offered it by my hospital, I just wondered how some people got on with it?

It took me a couple of years to get used to having the insulin pump and I felt quite body conscious for a while, I just wondered if people found that was the same with the cgm ?

Thanks
Jem x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi @Jems7 I am on a 2 week Libre trial and I love it, it shows trends and I find it so easy to use and feel proud to have it on my arm. Some friends are a little freaked out about it, but I have let them scan me and they think it's so cool :cool:
Good luck and wishing you all the best.

edited :- I am not on pump, still on MDI.

Last edited:
Reactions: Knikki

Scarlet10

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A CGM is quite bulky on your tummy, but I have to be honest I love my dexcom CGM.
It’s a life saver for me, I have poor hypo awareness so the alarms are my life line.
My control has also improved since having one the last two years.
I wouldn’t be without it now and self fund one. So many positives which outweighs the bulkiness of it xx

D

Deleted Account

Do you mean a Cgm like dexcom or a Libre?
There are significant differences: a Cgm will alert if your bg goes too high or too low whereas Libre will give you the bg trend over the last 8 hours when you swipe it (unless you add extra tech). The Libre goes on your upper arm and a Cgm goes on your stomach (some people put them other places but they are not "approved") And the Libre is smaller.

I have tried both CGM and Libre and had value from both. However, their value is in the trends not the absolute value. They are 15 minutes behind finger prick and not as accurate (especially around higher or lower readings.

Regarding body conciousness with a pump, i can empathise completely. I hate the bulkiness of my pump. However, both Libre and CGM are much smaller and discrete. If you are used to a pump, one of these will be nothing.

If I was offered either funded, I would jump at the chance. However, I would give myself cgm/Libre holidays for a number of reasons: some people build up an allergic reaction to the stickiness after a time of continuous use, I don't want to become dependent on it in case it fails and I have a tendency to become over obsessed by the numbers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kerryachown

Ive been on Dexcom cgm for over five years and wouldn’t want to be without it. I self funded for the first four 1/2 years but worth every penny. My control is definitely better as a result of cgm. Since I’ve had the cgm funded I’ve found it easier to manage as I only leave the sensor on for the week. Previously I had to keep it on as long as possible and my skin suffered. Now it’s amazing. Don’t notice it on my stomach even though I’m on the omnipod so have that on my stomach too.

tomfalc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I’m totally sold on CGM. It gives me the information I need to manage my diabetes, as I have gastroparesis, which means my blood glucose is unpredictable. I get warnings 20 minutes prior to going low, which means I can stop it. I can see patterns better, especially overnight, whilst still getting a full night’s sleep.

I find having to revert to using blood tests much harder as I don’t know whether the result is rising, dropping, or stable. Go for it. If you don’t like it you can always stop, but if you don’t start you may miss out on a tremendous opportunity.

Reactions: Michaeldooley

Ian W Cooper

I’m considering starting using cgm as I’ve been offered it by my hospital, I just wondered how some people got on with it?

It took me a couple of years to get used to having the insulin pump and I felt quite body conscious for a while, I just wondered if people found that was the same with the cgm ?

Thanks
Jem x

Ian W Cooper

Take the CGM with both hands, whilst he had access to these our son was fine .
Medtronic 740 is what you need.
This has a shut off function to combat night time hypos.
Really great protection for you.

Wallin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Thanks
Jem x

Wallin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I couldn’t live without mine.
I had my pancreas removed five years ago, and became instantly diabetic. My BG looked like a roller coaster, and I was finger pricking around 10 times a days, and through the night.
Having the cgm allowed me to have more confidence and not finger pricking day and night. I sleep through nights now feeling confident my pump, and cgm will keep me safe.
I would definitely advice you to go for it.
All the best.

Lalamcp

Hi Jem
I love my cgm and wouldn’t be without it! I have a Libre and also a pump and my blood sugar control has become better than ever. I have the Libre app on my phone so can just scan the sensor with my phone & have all the data to hand. I’ve found being able to scan with my phone is actually quite a discrete way to check my blood as nowadays everyone has a phone & it’s so quick no one takes a second look, unlike finger pricking in public. With regards to sensor size i think it feels quite big at first and is noticeable but It’s normally covered with clothing. You soon get used to it. I’m not overly bothered if it is out on show & if anybody asks I’m happy to tell them what it is. The Pros of this definitely outway any cons & I would encourage anyone to give it a go. Hope this helps!

dicksear

Type of diabetes
Type 1

Thanks
Jem x
Hi, I have never had a problem. I used to cover the sensor with a large plaster for safety but I haven't knocked it off for a while. As for the CGM I would be lost without it, I regard it as a game changer for managing my diabetes

jimarmour

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
A CGM is quite bulky on your tummy, but I have to be honest I love my dexcom CGM.
It’s a life saver for me, I have poor hypo awareness so the alarms are my life line.
My control has also improved since having one the last two years.
I wouldn’t be without it now and self fund one. So many positives which outweighs the bulkiness of it xx

jimarmour

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Today’s pumps are minuscule to the original ones I saw being used in hospitals 30 years ago which were CLOCKWORK sand the size of a thick paperback book! The Nurse was the only person with a key and they were cumbersome and heavy units. Today’s pumps you can put in your pocket or in the case of Ladies I know she’s tuck them into their bras!

lmsk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have a libre and it's the best thing ever, no more sore fingers! Definitely worth trying in my opinion and the sensor is easily hidden in your sleeves if you are bothered by folk looking at it

Stephen Lewis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hypocrites, liars, donald trump (no capitals for emphasis)
I am type 2 and have used the Libre for about 4 months on and off. Off because it is expensive, on because my insurance has just accepted the Libre and now pay out 70%. If you can get it for free jump fast at the chance. The sensor checks every 15 minutes so the trends are invaluable especially after meals. I have checked the accuracy against blood tests and had a difference of about 0.2 10 minutes after the finger pricking. There is a potential valiance of 15% with finger pricking but this method is more accurate at low and high levels. The Libre is 97% accurate in the 'normal' range of 4 to 13. It warns to take a blood test if you are outside this range. The huge benefit is that to get the same results you would need to do a blood test at least 16 times a day! You can also enter the amount of carbs in a meal and when the results are downloaded to a computer or if you are on the Low Carb Program you can easily see the affect of different foods. I also understand that for those of us on insulin, a medical professional can set up suggested doses based on the readings following a meal. I am not using this (yet). Go for it and happy testing

Breck Lundin

I'm brand new, about 30-days, to a CGM. I'm using the Dexcom G5. I'm doing so much better managing than w/o it. i have my a1c numbers consistently down in the low 6% range. that's from over 9% a couple months back.

I just t2 but insulin dependent for now. The thing which made the CGM the best thing since sliced bread, well not so much these days right? is the ability to view the curves representing insulin on board, current BG reading complete with projections, you can determine the rates your body is consume insulin (guestimated of course) as well as seeing the rate various carbs increase my BG level.

I'm a mathematician by the education so viewing the data just clicks in my brain far better than tracking finger stick readings has ever done. In the past i could only control my BG if i did 20-30 sticks daily. There was far less guesswork filling in readings between sticks following traditional finger stick reading frequency. Now my biggest concern is determining when a sensor is gone batty needing red and calibrations.

No ya don't need to be as OCD i am interpreting the data, anyone can learn to understand just what the data is saying via graphing it.

I use xdrip+ due to limitations on the actual Dexcom apps but they all give the same info...a person just needs to invest themselves totally until it clicks. Having a CGM but not working to understand the data is sort of a waste. to me it's that relatively instant picture of where i stand at them moment.

Say i get a low warning, i can look at the curves and see the actual speed (ie. rate) my BG is dropping. That has helped me learn i can relax and attend to the potent issue slow rather than a big dose that begins a roller-coaster ride for my BG level. Same goes for highs. i can observe the exact affect different carbs have on me, many have a very fast sharp peak, others might not hit for a couple hours. I have been able to eliminate a bunch of carb containing foods and determined i can eat 25-35g per meal pretty much any time of the day. Over that and oops! :D

Anyway that's how a CGM benefits me. We are all so very different so what get from it is different from what you might find. Still it's very worth taking a swing at it...worst that can happen is it doesn't fit for you.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
I suggest you also use the question box upper right if the forum page to best see what experiences have been like. Also look up diabettech .com for more info on accuracy etc. Libre ,vs Dexcom vs Enlite.
Enlite is a brand of cgm for Medtronic and the newer Tandem Slim pump works with Dexcom.
Dexcom is less expensive than Enlite if that is a consideration.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
I'm brand new, about 30-days, to a CGM. I'm using the Dexcom G5. I'm doing so much better managing than w/o it. i have my a1c numbers consistently down in the low 6% range. that's from over 9% a couple months back.

I just t2 but insulin dependent for now. The thing which made the CGM the best thing since sliced bread, well not so much these days right? is the ability to view the curves representing insulin on board, current BG reading complete with projections, you can determine the rates your body is consume insulin (guestimated of course) as well as seeing the rate various carbs increase my BG level.

I'm a mathematician by the education so viewing the data just clicks in my brain far better than tracking finger stick readings has ever done. In the past i could only control my BG if i did 20-30 sticks daily. There was far less guesswork filling in readings between sticks following traditional finger stick reading frequency. Now my biggest concern is determining when a sensor is gone batty needing red and calibrations.

No ya don't need to be as OCD i am interpreting the data, anyone can learn to understand just what the data is saying via graphing it.

I use xdrip+ due to limitations on the actual Dexcom apps but they all give the same info...a person just needs to invest themselves totally until it clicks. Having a CGM but not working to understand the data is sort of a waste. to me it's that relatively instant picture of where i stand at them moment.

Say i get a low warning, i can look at the curves and see the actual speed (ie. rate) my BG is dropping. That has helped me learn i can relax and attend to the potent issue slow rather than a big dose that begins a roller-coaster ride for my BG level. Same goes for highs. i can observe the exact affect different carbs have on me, many have a very fast sharp peak, others might not hit for a couple hours. I have been able to eliminate a bunch of carb containing foods and determined i can eat 25-35g per meal pretty much any time of the day. Over that and oops! :D

Anyway that's how a CGM benefits me. We are all so very different so what get from it is different from what you might find. Still it's very worth taking a swing at it...worst that can happen is it doesn't fit for you.
Which CGM?

Breck Lundin

oh, something to consider is where you will place the sensor relative to your typical sleeping position. I learned that the traditional way...didn't even give it the merest consideration until i tried to sleep or just lay down to rest...meaning i screwed it up the first couple tries since with the Dexcom once it's on, you either live with where it is or yank it off and waste a new sensor.

Breck Lundin

oh, something to consider is where you will place the sensor relative to your typical sleeping position. I learned that the traditional way...didn't even give it the merest consideration until i tried to sleep or just lay down to rest...meaning i screwed it up the first couple tries since with the Dexcom once it's on, you either live with where it is or yank it off and waste a new sensor.