parrotlady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
rude people. bad manners
Hi everyone,
I would love some advice on a problem I have just had with my prescription. I generally order prescriptions for my insulin every 2 months or so using the online portal. Ive had no issues until january when I was told I couldnt order this way until I had seen the doc for a health check, its practice wide so not connected to diabetes.I said I was due my yearly diabetes check so could have the health check at the same time. I had to phone in the prescription. Each month the prescription was wrong. This month my long acting insulin wasnt included. I only discovered the mistake when I opened the bag that I had just put straight into the fridge without checking first. I phoned the surgery and was told my long acting wasnt on my record. I explained that I have been using it for years. The receptionist then said looking at my record showed I hadnt ordered it since january so it had been moved to a cancelled file and she would have to request it from the doctor before I could have any.
Thinking about it raises questions..
If this is the truth then why was just me long acting was removed when I order them together and Is this going to happen when I dont order for another 2 months.
A friend has suggested that I go to see the practice manager and discuss this with her.
Im worried that there is someone in the practice who is making mistakes and they are making stupid excuses to cover it up.
sorry for the long story I just dont know how to explain it any better

Traceymac23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Moaner
Are you in the UK?

I only say that because I have read scare stories about surgeries rationing insulin due to Brexit concerns?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I think you are right, make the appointment with the practice manager sooner rather than later. Otherwise you are bound to become anxious about this every few weeks when really, as you say, it is just a routine click of a button.

Goacher55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi everyone,
I would love some advice on a problem I have just had with my prescription. I generally order prescriptions for my insulin every 2 months or so using the online portal. Ive had no issues until january when I was told I couldnt order this way until I had seen the doc for a health check, its practice wide so not connected to diabetes.I said I was due my yearly diabetes check so could have the health check at the same time. I had to phone in the prescription. Each month the prescription was wrong. This month my long acting insulin wasnt included. I only discovered the mistake when I opened the bag that I had just put straight into the fridge without checking first. I phoned the surgery and was told my long acting wasnt on my record. I explained that I have been using it for years. The receptionist then said looking at my record showed I hadnt ordered it since january so it had been moved to a cancelled file and she would have to request it from the doctor before I could have any.
Thinking about it raises questions..
If this is the truth then why was just me long acting was removed when I order them together and Is this going to happen when I dont order for another 2 months.
A friend has suggested that I go to see the practice manager and discuss this with her.
Im worried that there is someone in the practice who is making mistakes and they are making stupid excuses to cover it up.
sorry for the long story I just dont know how to explain it any better

This has happened to me before.. a simple appointment with my gp sorted it. Some meds need approving that is all

parrotlady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
rude people. bad manners
Thanks @Traceymac23 Yes im in the Uk, north east the thought that they will restrict something that you need to be healthy is scarry.
Thanks @Guzzler you are right I will just worry about it. I never know if im just over reacting but it is worrying me a lot

parrotlady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
rude people. bad manners
Hi @Goacher55 . My insulin is usually reauthorized every year when I have my review so i expect that but this just happened out of the blue and on top of the previous 2 prescriptions being wrong makes me wonder if there is a deeper problem at the practice.

Reactions: Goacher55

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
You must ask to see the Practice Manager and insist the surgery gets it's act together. I'm confident my surgery would not get into that level of mess. I'm on my surgery's PPG (Patient Participation Group) and I know our Practice Manager would sort that sort of problem pronto and I also have my lovely DN if needed. Sad that you have such a poor surgery.

parrotlady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
rude people. bad manners
Thanks @Daibell , the surgery has been great up to now, I couldnt fault them. I think ill phone tomorrow and try to get an appointment. im going to worry myself sick if i dont talk to someone.

D

Deleted Account

A few years ago I experienced frequent mistakes with my prescription and wrote a polite but firm letter to the practice manager. This resulted in a change in processes at the surgery and the quality of care improved.
Until recently when my surgery appointed a prescribing pharmacist who seems to have the role of saving money so removed items from my repeat prescription.
Once again, I needed to send a polite but firm letter to the practice manager stating that no changes are to be made to my prescription without consent from myself and a GP.
The items were returned and everything is ok again.

My conclusion was that having any discussions about prescription changes with the receptionist is a waste of time but the practice manager can make changes.

Reactions: parrotlady

parrotlady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
rude people. bad manners
thank you all for the help. ive now got an appointment with the practice manager on monday. It took 3 phone calls to the surgery to get to the stage of him calling me. he wanted to discuss things there and then but i insisted that i wanted a face to face meeting. hopefully ill get things sorted. ill come back here with an update on monday.

jellyfishfeet

Type of diabetes
LADA
Hi, just to say my surgery is regularly this inept. They lost my medical records when transferred in from another practice and wouldn't accept I needed asthma inhalers as they had no record of me having asthma. They also mess up my insulin prescriptions. Wishing you the best of luck sorting things out!

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @Daibell , the surgery has been great up to now, I couldnt fault them. I think ill phone tomorrow and try to get an appointment. im going to worry myself sick if i dont talk to someone.
I have had good experiences from talking to the practice manager. I had a face to face meeting with her and she sorted things out right away. All the best.

Goacher55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi @Goacher55 . My insulin is usually reauthorized every year when I have my review so i expect that but this just happened out of the blue and on top of the previous 2 prescriptions being wrong makes me wonder if there is a deeper problem at the practice.

Do you have access to your notes online ? Perhaps that could enlighten the situation.. good luck..

parrotlady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
rude people. bad manners
Hi everyone.
i had my meeting with the practice manager. He was really good and listened to me without interruption. He looked at my records on the computer and said he didnt know why my insulin had been taken off, he would speak to the pharmacist the practice employs to find out. He would phone me the following day. He did and to my amazement he admitted they had made a mistake. the insulin should have never been removed., and I shouldnt have been made to phone my prescriptions in but reorder online as usual. When the pharmacist reviewed my medication she should have referred it to the doctor who would have reissued it. He apologized several times. So a happy ending.