urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
High Wycombe Superdrug now doing the same. I don't begrudge them making £5 above the £35 (14%) that it would seem the NHS and the pharmacies are buying them at. H.W. Superdrug have used their quota for this month, so I've just paid Boots £47.50 (approx) and that's about 36% markup. Extracting the Michael I think. At least Superdrug have said they'll reserve some for me in next months quota.

I realise that Abbott have to recoup their development costs but when they are selling them for £35 to the NHS, and Superdrug, so probably all pharmacies, I surmise that they are still recouping their development costs at that price.

Abbott have been flogging this to us for a while for £50 and whilst the materials cost may have been higher at the start, mass production would have driven this down. I've taken an applicator and sensor apart and it all seems to be made in China. I'd guess the materials cost of a sensor kit to be in the region of £10 max. I think Abbott will have covered the development costs several times over by now.

Last edited:
Reactions: XxTinkerxx

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Abbott have been flogging this to us for a while for £50

Just been reading an article where the author was saying that in the U.S. she was buying the sensors for $40 (£31.17). She seemed to thing prices were similar. Obviously she didn't google the exchange rate.
I think Abbott will have covered the development costs several times over by now.
They only made about $ 1/2 billion last year. If I had the cash, they're the shares for me. LOL

Reactions: urbanracer

Bon83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Slightly new twist on this daft situation. My local Superdrug in High Wycombe has been given a quota and once they're sold out, they can't get any more until the next month. The ones they need for GP prescriptions are taken from the quota first and what's left is sold to whoever asks, while they last. Still at £35 though.
Interesting- I have bought a sensor from boots before and wanted another for some long run training. I don't need to use libre all the time I don't mind finger tests that much. I was told they can't sell they can only order them for people with prescriptions. There is a shortage and they need to prioritise those who need them. I wasn't rude i didn't say anything but I think she saw my face - and said I know you may need one ermm sorry. I'm not sure my gp may prescribe one for when I fancy long runs just so I don't have to finger prick every 30 mins or so but may give it a go lol

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I was told they can't sell they can only order them for people with prescriptions.

I bought my last one from my local Boots two weeks ago. They know how many they are likely to prescribe or sell in one month and usually have one or two in stock, not always, but usually.

This excuse given by other branches of Boots as well doesn't seem to have got to my branch, I even asked the pharmacist directly. I don't think he got the memo. It's possible that as it's a small branch and I know all the staff well enough to be on first names terms they don't lie to me about getting them for prescription only. They have even told me how few prescriptions for the Libre they fill each month.

It would be nice if we all had exactly the same experience wherever we lived.

Reactions: Geoffno6 and Bon83

BloodThirsty

Just been reading an article where the author was saying that in the U.S. she was buying the sensors for $40 (£31.17). She seemed to thing prices were similar. Obviously she didn't google the exchange rate.

They only made about $ 1/2 billion last year. If I had the cash, they're the shares for me. LOL
I suspect that it won't be long before other strip manufacturers recognise a serious gap in their offerings and produce a competitive product.

However, if conventional strip pricing is anything to go by, these providers will form themselves into a tacit cartel to all share in these wonderful profits.

So, business as usual but at least supply will improve.

Reactions: Awmaines

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
You have to be careful with the US numbers quoted. They're often not plain OTC prices and have an insurance contribution that reduces the payable amount.

Johncarry

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Offshore Cheap Meds is the only pharmacy that I can trust in it. Because they are accredited by PharmacyChecker.

LakeTahoeBob

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
I have had some sensors on order with Abbot since 9th February but they are ON HOLD but after reading messages on another forum about them being available from Asda but before going there I went to Sainsburys and there is a Lloyds Pharmacy in the store. I ordered two sensors as they were a lot cheaper than ordering direct from Abbot. I have paid £46.36 each for them, that's with the VAT taken off and they should be delivered to the store in 3-5 days. I went to a smaller Lloyds Pharmacy nearer to me but they hadn't registered with Abbot but would let me know when they had and I would be able to order them from there, presumably at the same price. I didn't have to fill in any forms re theVAT. I had also been to Boots and was quoted a price of £63 and later worked out that they would cost £52.50 with the VAT taken off. Tesco Pharmacy only knew about testing strips etc. and the pharmacist didn't know that anyone buying products specifically for their "disability" like test strips are VAT free when there's plenty of information on the Inland Revenue website about who doesn't have to pay. It will be great to be able to order them locally and not have weeks and weeks to wait for them to be delivered but can pick them up at my leisure!

LakeTahoeBob

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
I have had some sensors on order with Abbot since 9th February but they are ON HOLD but after reading messages on another forum about them being available from Asda but before going there I went to Sainsburys and there is a Lloyds Pharmacy in the store. I ordered two sensors as they were a lot cheaper than ordering direct from Abbot. I have paid £46.36 each for them, that's with the VAT taken off and they should be delivered to the store in 3-5 days. I went to a smaller Lloyds Pharmacy nearer to me but they hadn't registered with Abbot but would let me know when they had and I would be able to order them from there, presumably at the same price. I didn't have to fill in any forms re theVAT. I had also been to Boots and was quoted a price of £63 and later worked out that they would cost £52.50 with the VAT taken off. Tesco Pharmacy only knew about testing strips etc. and the pharmacist didn't know that anyone buying products specifically for their "disability" like test strips are VAT free when there's plenty of information on the Inland Revenue website about who doesn't have to pay. It will be great to be able to order them locally and not have weeks and weeks to wait for them to be delivered but can pick them up at my leisure!

US prices are pretty high- from a low of $30 per sensor to more than $100 per sensor.

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
I ordered direct from Abbott@ 90 Singapore bucks each.