Glimepiride and Hypos

Fencer

Dislikes
Tomatoes. Mayo.
Hi all - hope everyone is keeping well.

I am currently on 2,000mg of Metformin and 2mg of Glimepiride per day. 2 weeks ago I reduced my glimepiride from 4mg to 3mg per day due to hypos in the afternoon, as advised by my surgery. As these hypos continued, the surgery took me down again to 2mg per day on Friday last week.

I'm still getting hypos in the afternoons though. Today was particularly bad, as shown by my readings below:

08:03 6.7 mmol/L (before breakfast)
11:32 2.4 mmol/L
11:32 2.8 mmol/L (restest to make sure)
11:45 3.6 mmol/L (following a snack)
11:54 4.7 mmol/L
13:08 4.1 mmol/L (1 hour after lunch and immediately after a short walk).

It came on really suddenly today, never had it quite like that before. I'm also getting them if I am more active than usual.

I have an appointment on Wednesday next week. In the meantime should I contact my surgery, bring it down to 1mg per day or persevere a little with the 2mg per day?

At my appointment, should I ask to get off of the Glimepiride altogether? I am trying increase my exercise, but the risk of a hypo often puts me off doing it.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all - hope everyone is keeping well.

I am currently on 2,000mg of Metformin and 2mg of Glimepiride per day. 2 weeks ago I reduced my glimepiride from 4mg to 3mg per day due to hypos in the afternoon, as advised by my surgery. As these hypos continued, the surgery took me down again to 2mg per day on Friday last week.

I'm still getting hypos in the afternoons though. Today was particularly bad, as shown by my readings below:

08:03 6.7 mmol/L (before breakfast)
11:32 2.4 mmol/L
11:32 2.8 mmol/L (restest to make sure)
11:45 3.6 mmol/L (following a snack)
11:54 4.7 mmol/L
13:08 4.1 mmol/L (1 hour after lunch and immediately after a short walk).

It came on really suddenly today, never had it quite like that before. I'm also getting them if I am more active than usual.

I have an appointment on Wednesday next week. In the meantime should I contact my surgery, bring it down to 1mg per day or persevere a little with the 2mg per day?

At my appointment, should I ask to get off of the Glimepiride altogether? I am trying increase my exercise, but the risk of a hypo often puts me off doing it.

I would ring the surgery and ask for an urgent appointment ASAP or a telephone appointment ASAP and discuss it with your GP. Hypos can be dangerous, and it would seem your medication is too strong for you. We can't tell you to change your meds - only a doctor can do that, but you shouldn't wait until next week.

Reactions: Fencer

Fencer

Dislikes
Tomatoes. Mayo.
OK, thanks. To begin with they told me to reduce it myself if I kept getting hypos, which I did (4mg down to 3mg). They have also told me to ring in if I'm worried at all, so I'll do that.

In fact, just remembering, she did ask me if I had plenty of 1mg tablets left in case I needed to drop down to those.