Diabetes itchy skin

Binty147

Hi all,

I have been diabetic for 3 years and almost since the start have suffered from terrible itchy skin, practically all over my body. I understand now that it is due to raised blood glucose levels, however, it is good to talk to others who share a similar experience.

My goal is to reduce my weight and get my diabetes in control, then I can exercise to keep the diabetes in control which I am hoping will control the skin itching.

I am under a dermatologist it is so bad and I take medication to control the itching as well as diabetes medication and anti histamines so I can sleep through the night.

It would be good to hear from others who are suffering similarly, particularly if you have any advice to help control the problem.

Thanks

Reactions: 3 people

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Welcome to the Forum,

Do you know what your blood sugar levels are during an average day ? High blood sugars cause itching as you said.

If you are on medication then some medications have the unfortunate side effect of itching as well. You could ask your doctor or Pharmacist about side effects.

If it is caused by your blood sugar levels being too high then getting them under control should bring some relief.

Gappy

Dislikes
hypocrisy, prejudice and the corrupt legal system (never got compensation I deserved from an accident)
Oh wow, I've learnt something else again today! I have itchy skin, especially my legs which I can scratch until they bleed. Now I have even more incentive to keep my sugar levels low. I find Johnsons baby moisturising bath soothes me & it's so cheap compared to the other bath products claiming medical properties.

Reactions: 7 people

hallii

Yes, it''s a ******, but T2 makes yur skin itch Good news is that the better control you get the less you itch. Try "Skin So Soft" by Avon it works for me.

Geoff

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
I get itchy skin too and had it before I was diagnosed although I may have already had diabetes then without knowing. In my case I think it isn't caused by my diabetes, although I could be wrong, but it is a known rare side effect of another medication I am taking. One thing I have noticed though is that when I go to bed and get between the cool sheets, the itching stops. Not much use during the day though. I always get the itching in the afternoons and evenings - not the mornings. :? I too can scratch until it bleeds :(

dorcas61

Dislikes
Bad manners, bullying
I've been on anti-histamines every spring-autumn because of this - hardly bothers me in winter, so perhaps the best advice is to move to a really cold country??

On a more practical point, if you colour your hair, either stop or ask your hairdresser to use a technique where the dye doesn't touch the scalp - this was the first thing my GP advised when I went to her about the itching, and it did reduce the itching.

C

catherinecherub

The skin is the biggest organ of the body and so diabetes will affect it.

We all think of organs as heart, liver, lungs, kidneys but forget that the skin is one too.

Reactions: 6 people

HpprKM

Dislikes
Self absorbed and rude people! Motorists who are oblivious to the rest of the world, and really don't give a ****!
For years now I have been suffering from what my GP has treated as eczema of the ears, but now could be diabetes related, I have to treat my skin all over everyday and have cut my showers down to every two days in a bid to alleviate the condition (it's alright I do wash thoroughly on the second day :wink: ) the skin around and in the outer part of my ear is constantly dry, tried everything and currently use E45 twice a day. Have cortisone from GP, but can only use that infrequently, has anyone found a real cure, or a least something that really stops the almost constant itching, especially at night? Worse in winter, but I think that washing my hair daily does not help, but very fine hair that tends to greasiness overnight I have little option.

madge69

thank god im not the only one going mad with this!!!! but I went on insulin pump in november 2010 and HBA1C is now 8.6 from 12.8, I have noticed my itching has reduced dramatically :D I think keeping bgs at a good rate deffo helps, but good moisturising helps too as my skin is very dry.

I dont think the antihistermines help much with this apart from help u sleep.

HpprKM

Dislikes
Self absorbed and rude people! Motorists who are oblivious to the rest of the world, and really don't give a ****!
I use all the super sensitive soaps, body washes etc, and a body cream such as E45 after showering, which I did on a daily basis but now have cut down to 4/5 times a week as showering or bathing washes away the skins natural moisturisers. My ENT prescribed benovate for my eczema which mercifully seems to work. Guess this is just another fact of life when living with diabetes!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Blinty,

No doubt the dermatologist would have said already but try to avoid all cleansing products containing perfume.

Nigel

smokey

I'm so glad to hear is about itchy skin, for the last 8 month I have been going mad with itchy skin, I have even been to my GP and got told it was just dry, the only thing that seems to help me is some body cream from the body shop with mango in for extra dry skin but its not cheap, I seem to get worst when I've been outside, or I get hot. :D thank you. Its made me fell I. Not going mad

Smokey

Reactions: 2 people

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hiya, my daughter bought me some skin so soft cream, you can get it in an oil as well , its very reasonably priced too, it really worked for me, as a cream I can apply it anywhere too. Hope this helps? Anna.x :D

josie38

Hi,

i suffer from dry itching and use an emollient that i get from the gp - which i found very helpful. When mine was diagnosed I was told it was diabetes-related.

Josie

HpprKM

Dislikes
anna29 - what brand is this, where do you buy it from - ie Boots?

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to buy big tubs of emollient cream from my local chemist for my psorasis - he used to make it up himself and it was quite cheap - I had to use it to wash with rather than soap! - I was a very slippery character :lol: :lol: - he told me it was basically nivea cream without the perfumes!! - you can buy tubs of it from most chemists I would think - not sure of the price now though

I also could get it on perscription but it was one of those things it was cheaper to buy "over the counter" - if you get your scripts free it may be worth asking your GP?

smokey

I see a few of you say you use avon's So Soft range, I've just been looking in my lastest Avon brochure(no 12) and they have a offer at the moment on it you can buy 3 for £5, don't know if anyone is interested :D

Smokey

emmaw_13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
spiders, ants, wasps, ignorant people, people with no manners.
thank you thought i was weird i only iitch at night feels like somethings crawling on me my sugars are high at the moment and i didnt even realise it was related thank you x

Reactions: 2 people