Enormous weight loss and Hb1Ac reduction carbs

Padraic1308

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hi I am Dr Aidan P Cooney (not a medical doctor but a physical organic chemist!)
Although not knew to this group I have not previously contributed much of anything at all!
In had previously gained a terrible amount of weight mainkly due to a combination of inactivity, various pain meds and benzodiazepine muscle relaxants and various other pharmaceutical concoctions.
I would like to share my recent experience which hopefully might help someone else.
I believe the magic word here is "carbohydrate".
After observing other people's success iIdecided to go on a gradual carb reduction program which I have had a great deal of success with!
First thing I did was knock out sugar intake, altogether but very slowly.
I then gradually reduced lactose containing milk, the logic here is due to the fact that lactose is basically composed of a glucose and galactose combination. I was drinking and using a large amount of cows milk daily.
we all know the problem with glucose but galactose is another monosaccharide which is actually metabolized to glucose anyway in the body. so basically you are getting a double hit of glucose!
Then i went after the main culprit which I believe is any carbohydrate. carbs of any sort are just a bunch of glucose molecules bonded together and are all broken down to the latter in the body!
I still ate fats and proteins (didnt reduce those at all).
I used to be 140Kg. I now after 1 year have made it down to 87Kg. I have not spent hours in the gym basically because i have severe spinal damage after multiple failed surgeries in the USA.
My glycated haemoglobin (HB1Ac) is now normal and although I still take a sodium-glucosecotransporter type 2 (SGL2 inhibitor or gliflozin) I don't believe I need it!
I don't recommend doing this quickly because you could very well end up with ketosis! However iIcertainly recommend reducing carbohydrate intake!
best of luck to you all!
Aidan P Cooney

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Well done, what a turn-around!

May I ask if you have noticed a reduction in inflammation/pain while cutting out the carbs? Have you seen an opportunity to reduce pain meds (if you take any, that is)?

Reactions: jpscloud

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for your story. That is an amazing weight loss. You must feel great. Congratulations, and yes, carbs are the enemy. Fat isn't. :)

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Just one thing though, the risk with SGLT2s and a low carb diet is DKA rather than nutritional ketosis. Just to be clear. :)

Padraic1308

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Well done, what a turn-around!

May I ask if you have noticed a reduction in inflammation/pain while cutting out the carbs? Have you seen an opportunity to reduce pain meds (if you take any, that is)?
Yes I have noticed a reduction in inflammation and stress on the joints and I am trying to ghradually get the intake down! However I have been on strong opiod pain eds and clonazepam for 22 years so it's not going to be easy! However yes, definitelty there is a reduction in pain!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Very well done! Yours is a similar story to mine. Weight just dropped off and my HbA1c plummeted too. Keep up the good work!

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Brilliant, well done! Great to hear about your experience of less inflammation too.