T2 on low carb diet - how quickly should sugars decrease?

Petal85

My OH was diagnosed with T2 two weeks ago. On 2x metaformin daily. Doing low carb diet and trying to be under 50g carbs per day. How quickly can we expect blood sugars to be normal? Was 33.2 on day of diagnosis. Tonight was 12.7.

Reactions: SaskiaKC

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome!

How often is he testing, and when? You say he was 12.7 tonight, but what were the circumstances? Before a meal, after a meal, how long after a meal? After exercise?

How long it takes to reduce blood glucose depends on many things. It is impossible to say. If he started with a level of 33.2 on the day of diagnosis, it may take some time.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Petal and welcome and well done for wanting to support your OH. You’ve come to the right place for help. Your OH is to be congratulated on their achievements so far. It’s difficult to say when they will see normal levels as it varies from person to person. We often say it’s a marathon not a sprint so be patient, their readings appear to be heading in the right direction.

Petal85

Thanks everyone. Really appreciate the warm welcome and advice. My OH is 39 with a BMI of 27 and takes regular exercise so this all came as a shock and big wake up call. He took his sugars at 10pm tonight. We didn’t really have dinner as had a big lunch of salad, meats, hummus. He just nibbled on cheese for dinner! Over 10,000 steps done today. We’ve generally been testing first thing in the morning, before dinner and before bed.

We just want to make sure we’re eating the right food and keen to see the numbers back in the normal range! Will try and be more patient and keep up the diet :)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We just want to make sure we’re eating the right food and keen to see the numbers back in the normal range! Will try and be more patient and keep up the diet :)

To ensure this your testing pattern needs to change. To find how foods affect him he needs to test just before eating a meal and then test two hours after the first bite. You are looking for a rise of no more than 2 mmols/l. If it’s more than 2 then there was too much carbohydrate in the meal. The eventual aim is for all post meal readings to be under 8.5mmols/l.

Petal85

To ensure this your testing pattern needs to change. To find how foods affect him he needs to test just before eating a meal and then test two hours after the first bite. You are looking for a rise of no more than 2 mmols/l. If it’s more than 2 then there was too much carbohydrate in the meal. The eventual aim is for all post meal readings to be under 8.5mmols/l.

Amazing, great advice, thank you. Will start following this.

It’s hard to say how long it will take, but he’s already reduced his blood sugar readings considerably which is encouraging. My husband was diagnosed 20 years ago and advice then was to base meals on carbs!! He is now eating a low carb diet, though not as low as 50g, and has lost 2 stones since Christmas and told to reduce his meds so it’s well worth the effort. Keep on doing what you’re doing. Well done!