Diabetes and Ramadan

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes it might be similar but it’s not the same as we don’t drink between those times and I assume intermittent fastest don’t eat at 3am.

Correct:). But at 3am I cannot wake up and eat a meal like that so you may start to see the difficulties. But as I say I will give something gentle a go and see how that works.

Sorry if I am not helping, but just a thought, as I don’t want to suggest something you won’t like, or is forbidden. Also, you have not been completely clear about what your normal meals are, or what you do like. Could you manage avocado and perhaps some nut butter, mixed with milk or other liquid as a base for a smoothie, to provide protein and fat, to sustain you. You could add vegetables to this.

Best wishes

Mad76

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For suhoor what about overnight oats?? They're filling and hopefully enough for you to have metformin. I made them last year in Ramadan (sadly no fasting for me this year as I'm diagnosed type 1), theres loads of great ideas for combinations online.

I know lots of type 2 s that observe Ramadan without an issue. But they eat quite high carb ! ( I also know quite a few type 2 s that don't fast either)

Major Buckmaster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stuff
Sorry if I am not helping, but just a thought, as I don’t want to suggest something you won’t like, or is forbidden. Also, you have not been completely clear about what your normal meals are, or what you do like. Could you manage avocado and perhaps some nut butter, mixed with milk or other liquid as a base for a smoothie, to provide protein and fat, to sustain you. You could add vegetables to this.

Best wishes

You have been helpful.

What I normally eat doesn’t apply here as it is not 3am.

I hate milk.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
To be honest I’m not really looking for advise on whether fasting is safe or not. I have read up both medical and religious opinion and they both say it’s fine.

I will monitor my sugars and I will know what to do.

I want to know about the dawn meal and what I should eat from others who low carb and then go a further 18-21 hrs without food or drink.

What will keep me going and doesn’t make me feel sick. But as I have said there doesn’t seem to be anyone who does. So I’m going to have to come up with a plan sharpish as I have a week left!
There are plenty of people who follow a one meal a day regime.. is there any reason why you couldn't try that?
Is an early morning meal an essential part of Ramadan or could you just drink water and then eat in the evening?

Major Buckmaster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stuff
For suhoor what about overnight oats?? They're filling and hopefully enough for you to have metformin. I made them last year in Ramadan (sadly no fasting for me this year as I'm diagnosed type 1), theres loads of great ideas for combinations online.

I know lots of type 2 s that observe Ramadan without an issue. But they eat quite high carb ! ( I also know quite a few type 2 s that don't fast either)

Thanks. I will try Greek yogurt and throw a few things in and see how I go.

Major Buckmaster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stuff
There are plenty of people who follow a one meal a day regime.. is there any reason why you couldn't try that?
Is an early morning meal an essential part of Ramadan or could you just drink water and then eat in the evening?

Yes it is something that we should do as part of the fast process and also I need to take my meds with food in the morning.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I see no difference whatsoever between religious fasting and non-religious fasting (intermitent fasting) - except for the motivation and chosen rulesets.
There are as many different fasting systems across different religions as there are fasting systems outside religion and a lot of fasters do so in far more extreme ways than Ramadan requires.
Everyone just adapts, as appropriate, and a lot of the traditions borrow from each other.

As far as I can see, any breakfast that you would normally eat and find appetising would do for the morning meds, and then a meal in the evening with the rest of the family. Although every Metformin patient info sheet I have seen has specified that the drug should not be taken when fasting.
So you have a choice - you can skip food and skip the tablet, or eat and take the tablet.

I have often gone 15 hours without a drink (through absent minded forgetting to fetch one), so a few hours longer would only be a problem for me if I was in a hot climate and getting dehydrated.
As for type 2 fasting, we have members on the forum who fast from 16 hours a day up to several weeks at a time, so there is a great deal of experience around, if you want to draw on that.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes it might be similar but it’s not the same as we don’t drink between those times and I assume intermittent fastest don’t eat at 3am.

Correct:). But at 3am I cannot wake up and eat a meal like that so you may start to see the difficulties. But as I say I will give something gentle a go and see how that works.

If I’ve got this right now, you are asking for low carb food ideas to eat at 3am before a fast.
My suggestion would be whatever low carb food you can stomach. Does it have to be hot? A feast of boiled eggs, meat and cheese, pickles, salad items...my lot love pieces of sausage dipped in cold cream cheese, or anything wrapped in crunchy leaves. They eat popped seeds in a soy sauce coating by the handful. Nuts is a good one also.
If you want something hot, use a slow cooker then it’s ready and waiting.

I fast every day and eat once so apart from the time I’m actually chewing, I fast regularly for 24 hours.

Major Buckmaster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stuff
I see no difference whatsoever between religious fasting and non-religious fasting (intermitent fasting) - except for the motivation and chosen rulesets.
There are as many different fasting systems across different religions as there are fasting systems outside religion and a lot of fasters do so in far more extreme ways than Ramadan requires.
Everyone just adapts, as appropriate, and a lot of the traditions borrow from each other.

As far as I can see, any breakfast that you would normally eat and find appetising would do for the morning meds, and then a meal in the evening with the rest of the family. Although every Metformin patient info sheet I have seen has specified that the drug should not be taken when fasting.
So you have a choice - you can skip food and skip the tablet, or eat and take the tablet.

I have often gone 15 hours without a drink (through absent minded forgetting to fetch one), so a few hours longer would only be a problem for me if I was in a hot climate and getting dehydrated.
As for type 2 fasting, we have members on the forum who fast from 16 hours a day up to several weeks at a time, so there is a great deal of experience around, if you want to draw on that.

I think I will eat and take the meds. I have others to take for other conditions so it makes no difference really.

I do understand what you're saying but to be honest Ramadan fasting is a lot different and it is quite hard during the summer months. I get what you're saying but up to 21 hrs without a drink (especially none when you wake up) is hard and I think you would struggle. It is just different, thats from experience. I too often forget to drink, it just isn't the same.
Plus 2 home schooled, shall we say lively children to cope with plus running a business full time and a home lol!

Food doesn't bother me really but I just wanted to know what others eat as we have to finish eating before the Fajr prayer comes in which is before 3am I think.

I cannot seem to stomach any meat or eggs etc at that time. I think I will be fine with something sweeter, i.e yogurt and a little fruit. I seem to be able to handle that better and I have just remembered that I love salmon bites! You know those things with cream cheese. V low carb and delicious. So I think I'll be okay.

Major Buckmaster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stuff
If I’ve got this right now, you are asking for low carb food ideas to eat at 3am before a fast.
My suggestion would be whatever low carb food you can stomach. Does it have to be hot? A feast of boiled eggs, meat and cheese, pickles, salad items...my lot love pieces of sausage dipped in cold cream cheese, or anything wrapped in crunchy leaves. They eat popped seeds in a soy sauce coating by the handful. Nuts is a good one also.
If you want something hot, use a slow cooker then it’s ready and waiting.

I fast every day and eat once so apart from the time I’m actually chewing, I fast regularly for 24 hours.

Yes the slow cooker will be useful for Iftar (fast breaking.)

Nothing hot in the morning. Not for me anyway. I don't know how people do it. Some people, I think especially in the Indian/pakistan cultures they eat all sorts of fried hot foods at that time. I just don't know how!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I know nothing about fasting or Ramadan but I understand the dislike of eating a savoury hot meal for breakfast. I always have the keto coconut porridge from the Diet Dr website that @Jaylee has linked above.
Here’s the specific link to the porridge (not real porridge by the way!) I eat is every morning with strawberries and cream and find it very filling:
https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-coconut-porridge

Major Buckmaster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stuff

Major Buckmaster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stuff
I know nothing about fasting or Ramadan but I understand the dislike of eating a savoury hot meal for breakfast. I always have the keto coconut porridge from the Diet Dr website that @Jaylee has linked above.
Here’s the specific link to the porridge (not real porridge by the way!) I eat is every morning with strawberries and cream and find it very filling:
https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-coconut-porridge

Sounds nice. I might give that ago!

Reactions: Pipp